RECENT  POSTS:  » Where art thou, Jeremy? » Video: Ad for blemish remover/ tourist spot for our new, bettered America » Whether justified or Kim Davis-ed, individualistic rage rarely outplays broader truths » Kim Davis: The almost too perfect coda to the marriage discrimination fight » Anti-gay clerks are going to have to do their jobs. Because of course they are. » Jeb really wants to remind voters of his anti-'same status' plan for gay couples » Maine: NOM finally forced to hand over its tiny, out-of-state, incestuous donor roll » This delusional primary: Huckabee claims 'same-sex marriage is not the law of the land' » The 'Yeah. Duh. Of course' phase of this fight » Trailer: 'Stonewall'

Will the real Donnie Davies please stand up?

Is this man Donnie Davies?

**UPDATE: So, two readers tipped us off to the fact that "Bobby Conn" is listed as a "gay band" on Davies' LoveGodsWay website. Sort of an obscure artist to include, right? Well, the above pic comes from, and is apparently of his band, the Glass Gypsies.

Just a theory...

**UPDATE2: Judging froom the feedback we've already received, many of you out there think this is indeed the guy. But what would be the motive behind such an elaborate ruse? Outside of the fact that we've all dedicated ridiculous attention to him this week in our quest to...oh wait a minute, guess we just answered our own question.

Still no confirmation, however. Come on, kids -- somebody has to know something!!

***UPDATE, 1/26: Dan Savage has more evidence over at the Stranger blog.

***UPDATE2, 1/26: Okay, now Radar Online has posted some comments from Colby Starck (the man in the above photo), who denies that he is the real Donnie Davies. From Radar:

"While I'm getting a kick out of the hoopla, I'm not Donnie Davies," he says. In fact, he adds, the photos in which he looks like Davies are several years old; Starck has since lost weight and shaved his mustache. "I'm not as fat as he is, but it's really the love that I have in my heart for homosexuals that distinguishes us," he says.

That last comment actually strikes us as a little weird, as most people have now assumed that Starck was doing it all as satire, not fire and brimstone seriousness. But since he's officially denying, it looks like the mystery remains for now...

***UPDATE3, 1/26: Here's another thing -- one of the two tipsters who initially clued us in to the Bobby Conn connection did so under the handle "Famous Mortimer." From Urban Dictionary:

Picture 14-12

Hmm...could our tipster be involved, perhaps in a directorial capacity, or is he/she merely a "Mr. Show" fan? We've sent an email to find out more...

***UPDATE4, 1/26:
From Julie Pomerleau (aka Monica BouBou), a Bobby Conn band member:

Picture 20-2

***UPDATE5, 1/26: Perhaps the last thing we will say on 'Donnie Davies' (with link to a correctly identified Davies at bottom of post!)

Technorati Tags:

Bright eyes in the front is kinda cute, in an Eddie Izzard sorta way.

Posted by: Dash | Jan 25, 2007 5:48:15 PM

"Just a theory?" It looks like reality to meā€”that's the guy.

Posted by: Matthew Rettenmund | Jan 25, 2007 6:08:03 PM

Hmm... I'm not convinced yet. Yes it does seem obscure, but I don't know. It's unlikely they'll say anything either way though. I spoke with 'Donnie' yesterday via IM and he would only speak as Donnie, not as the prankster.

Posted by: Simon Jones | Jan 25, 2007 9:57:25 PM

Well, based on this quote: "So subtle is the melding of serious music and overblown performance, serious message and absurd claims; often people are unable to separate the man from the persona or the message from the humor," I'd say it's a good guess.

Posted by: ck | Jan 25, 2007 10:25:01 PM

Folks, that's not Donnie. That's Colby Starck, who doesn't have a hateful bone in his body. He looks like that jerk Donnie in this photo, but it's not. Guaranteed.

Posted by: Dan Schlissel | Jan 25, 2007 11:08:53 PM

Dan, I think the consensus is that (a) yes, that is Colby Starck and (b) it's all a parody. Apparently political satire is part of what Bobby Conn is all about.

Dan Savage has dug a little deeper over at The Stranger Blog:

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jan 25, 2007 11:40:54 PM

Donnie Davies looks more like a sun-kissed Greg Dulli than a Colby Starck. And Colby has a much better sense of rhythm.

Posted by: hornrimsylvia | Jan 26, 2007 11:12:49 AM

"Famous Mortimer" is also the name of a Wikipedia user. According to his user page, he enjoys "contributing to the debunking of silly myths and conspiracy theories."

Here's his URL:

Posted by: Baylor | Jan 26, 2007 12:40:59 PM

This has gone too far... I am "Donnie Davies".
I am deeply ashamed for the pain I have caused to everyone. I apologize to the gay community, to the christian community, to the music community, to the internet community, to those who suffer from thyroid conditions, and especially to Colby Starck. It was just a little (but mildly expensive) joke. When I started out with the idea I had no inkling it would go this far. Please find it in your hearts to forgive me. I will be entering intensive therapy, with my fellow homophobe Isaiah Washington, in the hopes of getting to the roots of my anger.

Pray for me.
Famous Mortimer

Posted by: Mortimer | Jan 26, 2007 3:54:01 PM

He's at it again

Posted by: arlopop | Jan 26, 2007 4:21:04 PM

Holy damn. Asshole sprung for a crane shot... of a boring looking city.

Also, and I've said this before elsewhere, what does the "S" in "C.H.O.P.S." stand for? Speaking of C.H.O.P.S., who loves that logo as much as I do? Hi-larious.

Posted by: Baylor | Jan 26, 2007 9:08:57 PM