RECENT  POSTS:  » But does the Archbishop even believe in gay? » Video: Move over aliens, plagues, Sharknados—it's committed gays who'll soon kill Western Civilization » Nine former water-carriers for 'ex-gayness' join all credible scientists in denouncing 'ex-gay' propaganda » The operative word is 'yet' » Video: Tony Perkins for politically-driven pastors to test (if not run afoul) tax exempt status » Ruth Institute (former NOM affiliate): Same-sex marriage is as much of a wedge as interracial marriage bans » NOM finally admitting that marriage amendments are, in fact, bans » Kentucky's big anti-LGBT org hopes to pray away a fair court ruling on civil marriage » Iowa's governor sponsoring anti-gay Family Leader summit? » Head of Virginia's top anti-gay org: One mean email proves 'the left' is sexist, intolerant

02/05/2007

The 'Ball' game to which we dedicated our SuperBowl Sunday

In apparent response to the whole "Beefman" thing from Friday, Pastor Billy Ball of Primrose, Georgia's Faith Baptsit Church...

Users 41D72C97Z9Ef5581B 4506   Sr  3F56

...decided to send us this message early Sunday morning:

Picture 1-57

Charming, no? Well this prompted us to casually (albeit snarkily) ask Mr. Ball:

Picture 2-59

Well, this prompted both an assertion from Mr. Ball that his particular misuse of "your" was merely a typo, as well as a bizarre back and forth in which Mr. Ball seemed to imply that we weren't interested in "dialoguing" with him. The entire exchange then culminated with this Superbowl-themed post:

Picture 3-45

Now, by this point we had long ditched the game to prepare for "The L Word" (oh, that Jenny), but the message still came across loud and clear. Mr. Ball seemed to be implying that this writer was both (a) reminiscent of a legless fly larva and (b) far too queer to ever want to watch uber fit men in ultra tight pants run around and tackle each other.

Just rude, his assertions!

But Mr. Ball, what we were trying to say in our emails to you is that we have no desire to have a private conversation with you about your antipathy for gay folks, as we already dedicate far too much time to the topic in a professional capacity. However, we want you to scream and yell all you want, so we're asking that you please direct all further statements to the comments section of this post. All you have to do is click the little button below that says "comment," and you may spew whatever you want. Why just contain your fury to this writer or this site? Why should our Inbox have all of the fun? We have thousands of other "maggots" reading this site who'll surely like to hear what you have to say about them. And they're sure to have loads of things to say in response! So have at it, Mr. Ball! You have carte blanche to say what you want to say.

Now if you'll excuse this writer, he must go ask God which makes him sicker -- gay folks living as they were created, or aggressive folks who judge and condemn their neighbors with mean-spirited words and names.

**More on Ball: Billy Ball interview featured on AfterElton.com [Radical Georgia Moderate]
Fundie activists target bookstores, gay culture with protests and intimidation [PHB]

If I wasn't an atheist I really would not want to go to a religious leader who was angry. It seems so pointless. How does that even help to give a person direction in life? It is really fucking ridiculous and disgusting. It makes more sense to me that if you are a person looking for spiritual guidance of some sort, that you would want to find someone who seems kind and balanced, in harmony with world so to speak, not acidic, vile, and so easily corrupted by ones own lack rational thought.

Posted by: Matthew | Feb 5, 2007 12:04:28 PM

Oh he emails us from time to time. I'm on vacation right now and can't check my XGW mail so perhaps I'll have a delightful message from him when I return.

Posted by: Daniel Gonzales | Feb 5, 2007 12:04:47 PM

Hey, reverend, let's talk about the sin of gluttony - one of the seven deadlies, you know. How does such a disgusting obese pig muster the chutzpah to condemn anyone when he has so little control over his own desires? Hypocrite.

Posted by: Mad John | Feb 5, 2007 12:10:56 PM

Billy Ball? For real? Wow.

Posted by: werdna | Feb 5, 2007 1:41:35 PM

Here in the UK "faggot" refers to a bundle of sticks or a type of food, while "fag" is slang for a cigarette. So much for the childish abuse from Mr Ball.

It says a lot about the church in America that the only people in Britain who rant and rave about gay sex aren't Christians but Muslim fanatics. Is Mr Ball proud to stand alongside the Taliban and a host of murdering mullahs?

Posted by: John C | Feb 5, 2007 1:49:25 PM

Gluttony is only a deadly sin to Catholics. Protestants are not supposed to believe that one sin is greater than any other. This yokel, still using his childish diminuitive as a first name, is just trying to get himself a name outside of the doors of his tiny little church in his tiny little town of GA by attacking gay people. He's an idiot and, though he tried his protests against Outright Bookstore, has had no success influencing anyone in Atlanta.

Posted by: | Feb 5, 2007 2:05:59 PM

Oh, and "maggot" is an old term for "a whimsical fancy" (see John Barth's novel of the same title).

Posted by: John C | Feb 5, 2007 2:09:35 PM

oh yes what a wonderful display of bible study. Forgive me if I'm incorrect but isn't the same God he worships a child killer? Wait wait please let me quote a little of the bible for you. One of the reasons why I no longer believe in such man-made text and pardon me if this offends anyone but I'm only quoting here. The second book of Kings verse 23 and 24 reads

"23 ¶ And he went up from thence unto Beth-el: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the LORD. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them. "

Isn't that a bit rediculous I mean if God is merciful, why would he smite 42 children who taunt some old fat bald man in the bible. Oh yes she bears slay the children in the name of the Lord. Forgive me Mr.Ball but I have a problem with believing in such texts where God slays children for being children. All children taunt and call names even your own, if you have any. And what happened to "love thy neighbor" or "Judge not lest ye be judged"? It's too full of human and animal sacrifices, not to mention contradictions of itself, to actually be believable to me. And how many christian traditions spawned from pagan traditions answer me that. We all know paganism was first. So you keep your lovely scriptures and preaching for the church, because I'm so sick of the "God Hates Fags" routine.

For those of you who are gay and christian I apologize but the bible is not for me and I cannot bring myself to read it again.

Posted by: Fin Bheara | Feb 5, 2007 2:41:08 PM

Ha! If you like train wrecks, you should read the comments thread attached to my podcast covering Atlanta Pride:

I interviewed Reverend Ball in one segment, and one of his parishioners showed up and left a bunch of comments. They're quite entertaining.

Posted by: Rusty | Feb 5, 2007 9:03:13 PM

Wow! I'm a new visitor to this site. My eye's have really been opened. I cannot believe there are people out there like Billy Ball. I hear about it, but it just seems so unreal. I can't wrap my head around why anyone would put so much energy into hating someone, because an old book says that who they are attracted to is wrong. Jeremy, I saw you on a public television program last night and had to take a peek at this site. I think what is happening here is great and just wanted to say that you are fantastic. I love seeing your creativity and wit put to such great use. You are so good at disarming people without having to say a single cruel word. You just hold up a mirror and allow them to see what they are throwing at you. Beautiful.

Best of Luck,

Teresa

Posted by: Teresa Hobbs | Feb 5, 2007 9:54:31 PM

Just one bit of advice, to anyone who takes these men (who claim to be spokesmen for "God") seriously: Read a book called "The God Delusion", by Richard Dawkins.

It's an entertaining read in its own right, and while it isn't its main thrust, it also deals with the fact that telling children that they (or their friends) are going to go to Hell for such inconsequential things as what you believe or who you love is every bit as abusive as other things certain churchmen are famous for...

If you believe it, truly, in your heart, it's torture.

Posted by: El | Feb 6, 2007 12:01:21 AM

They are all connected... Wisconsin Homobigot, Ralph Ovadol just had Billy Ball on his Internet radio show praising him for his actions at a Pridefest. http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=2207183853
(about 43 minutes into the show).

Posted by: Steve | Feb 6, 2007 9:39:21 PM

"Abomination", eh? I sure hope this fellow ain't wolfing down shrimp, lobster, clams, mussells, etc.:

"These shall ye eat of all that are in the waters: whatsoever hath fins and scales in the waters, in the seas, and in the rivers, them shall ye eat. And all that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which is in the waters, they shall be an abomination unto you:
They shall be even an abomination unto you; ye shall not eat of their flesh, but ye shall have their carcases in abomination. Whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you." (Leviticus 11:9-12)

I love the slogan from the site I found this on: "Pinch the tail, suck the head, burn in Hell."

Posted by: John | Feb 11, 2007 7:13:21 AM

Why does it seem that supposedly "heterosexual" religious officials spend more time worrying and talking about gay sex than gays do?

Posted by: Centurion | Feb 14, 2007 7:25:47 PM