Video: Coming Out Cohen
Well he doesn't beat a pillow in this one, but it's still pretty "whacky":
"You may hear about gay activists saying slanderous things about me, mocking my practice, and denigrating those who promote this wonderful possibility of change," Richard says towards the end of the piece. However, we have not one ounce of desire to do that. What we do, however, want to do is give you a few non-slanderous, non-denigrating facts about Mr. Cohen:
- Richard is part of the Unification Church, whose leader, Sun Myung Moon, is on record as saying some of the most disturbing things about gays to ever be recorded. His wife also comes from that same religion. (**See update below)
- After his oldest two children were born, Richard, by his own admission, engaged in a three year relationship with a man.
- In 2003, he was permanently expelled from the American Counseling Association for six violations of its ethics code. He is now unlicensed.
- His methods have been decried by even staunch "ex-gay" advocates like PFOX, and NARTH.
- Exodus International has issued a position statement distancing themselves from him.
- And there is of course the obvious, which is that neither Richard's nor any "ex-gay" methods are supported by any mainstream physical or mental health organization
So Richard, please don't think we feel "threatened by who [you are] and what [you] do." We simply want people to know the facts before donating the dollars to your foundation (he reportedly takes donations instead of payment, so as to get away licensing requirements) that will be required of them to obtain your brand of "change."
We have not even an ounce of ill will towards either you or your family, RC. Your dangerous and deceptive socio-politico-religo "ex-gay"me-playing, however -- well, that's another story.
Richard Cohen [YouTube]
**CORRECTION: Richard has apparently left the Unification Church, so we apologize for that misinformation. However, by his own admission, his marriage was arranged by the church. This means that his own personal "transformation" happened while involved with Rev. Moon's church. The same Rev. Moon who has said things like this:
"Homosexuals and fornicators are like dirty dung eating dogs"
"Is the world around us a peaceful world centered upon God, or is it all confused? (Confused.) That is what is called free sex. What is the meaning of lesbians and homosexuals? That is the place where all different kinds of dung collect. We have to end that behavior. When this kind of dirty relationship is taking place between human beings, God cannot be happy. That is what the secular world is like. As the lord of all creation, are we seeking that kind of world? (No.)"
"As human beings, we should mobilize our forty billion cells and clean up these dirty places. Would you women want this dirty dung filled water to be poured over you? (No.) What about men, do you want to be soaked in that kind of dirty water? (No.) Only Satan and dirty dung eating dogs go after that. God created human beings and they should stay away from it. Isn't it true? [YES!] There are certain kinds of dogs that go after dung and eat it. Therefore the name of dog (or sometimes "son of a bitch") is used to speak badly of human beings. Those people who love dung eating dogs must have some problem. Especially American people, and American leaders. If they truly love such dogs, they also become like dung eating dogs and produce that quality of life. If such dogs are around can't you smell them? Do you want to be close to them or far away? (Far away.) American people, their mind wants to get away, but their bodies are still being pulled by these dung eating dogs. That's true! Free sex activity is equivalent to this. Father gave you a figure of speech."
Technorati Tags: Richard Cohen
comments powered by Disqus