RECENT  POSTS:  » Video: Voices from our pro-equality future (present?) » Anti-gay orgs continue to offend children of single parents, gay parents, more » Apple CEO gives 'substantial' sum to HRC's southern state project; may or may not have used ApplePay » Conservative proposes new way for vendors to tell gay customers they don't care for them » NOM versus David Koch » Anti-equality baseball player calls reporter 'a prick' for asking about his anti-equality advocacy » Audio: Josh Duggar defends discrimination, invalidates own point » Audio: AFA's Fischer names 'homosexual agenda' as 'greatest threat to liberty' in American history » Audio: AFA Radio caller calls for executing gays; FRC-employed host doesn't even challenge him, much less condemn » NOM president's other organization is 'in trouble' (his words) too

07/17/2007

Video: 'The Bias is Not Right'

Tonight, GSN will debut a new game show called "Without Prejudice?" wherein stereotypes and prejudices are promised to be challenged. And while the premiere episode doesn't seem to feature any discussion on gays and gay rights, such conversations are promised to be held in forthcoming weeks. So to familiarize yourself on what we can expect when LGBT issues are broached, check out this video of the first part of tonight's premiere:

So basically it's like "The Weakest Link," except the main criteria for being voted off is others' perception of your outer shell. Or it's like "Win, Lose, Or Draw," yet with the draw part involving the luck of the shell game that is human genetics. Or it's "Press Your Luck," except instead of Whammys, the sole impediment between you and the cash is preconceived notions and public opinion.

You get the picture.

But among the social justice organizations involved with the production is GLAAD, so it should be a certainty that the awards shows will be fabulous gay bias will be kept in check. So here's hoping that some eyes will be opened by this televised social experiment, with every contestant and viewer's parting gift being a lifetime supply of appreciation for social diversity.

Without Prejudice? [GSN]

**UPDATE: We've had a chance to watch the rest of the premiere episode, and there are a few brief "suspicions" that a few of the panelists might be gay. But there is very little discussion of gay issues or homophobia in this episode.

So how did you watch the full show? I wonder how the producers selected the panel -- what prejudices might have been at work.

Posted by: Mary | Jul 17, 2007 12:36:31 PM

Honey, Sweetie, Baby! SAAD er GLAAD is a "social justice organization" that will make certain gay bias is "kept in check"? Have you not seen the trailers to the latest Adam Sandler abortion? Have you not read "The Advocate's" condemnation of the film itself for its exploitation of gays and gay relationships as jokes?

Have you not noticed all that whoring for Coors SAAD does in exchange for a few shekels? [Before anyone says, "But they don't discriminate against gay employees anymore," note that what the Coors family—who provided the seed money years ago for the antigay industry, e.g., the Heritage Foundation—does off the brewery floor that is more important: they still are applying Coors profits to fund the Right Wing generally and antigay action specifically. Their former scion that ran for Congress endorsed the Bush Reich's beloved amendment to the US Constitution outlawing gay marriage.]

And did we mention that SAAD's annual reports about how positive gay characters in film and TV increasingly diminish are but report cards on SAAD's own performance and that the grade should be "F"? Or that they promote Ross the Intern, AKA Jay Leno's Resident Flaming Fag? Or....

Posted by: Leland | Jul 17, 2007 4:01:21 PM

Leland: First of all, I'm very uncomfortable with your tone. Please do not talk down to me.

Secondly, I'm EXTREMELY uncomfortable with you referring to Ross Matthews as a "flaming fag," especially when you are talking about the need for media monitoring and sensitivity.

Now some notes: "Social justice organization" is the term being used by the GSN and GLAAD press release. Whether or not you agree with the individual groups' works, these are accurate descriptors for all of their missions (YWCA and NCLR are some of the others). And what I said is that it SHOULD (operative word) be a certainty that gay bias will be kept in check. I think we can all agree that is is what SHOULD happen by GLAAD partnering with this particular show. Whether or not that is what does happen is another story.

If you want to attack GLAAD, then have at it. But please don't fly off the handle and attack this site or this writer in such a crass, undeserved fashion. This is the sort of response that sometimes makes it difficult to dedicate your life to the betterment of gay people -- being chastised by your own people for the most benign of comments.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 17, 2007 4:19:04 PM

I missed the premiere of this show but would like to check it out. I remember when GSN had "Friend or Foe" and it was a game based on trust or lack of trust. Basically, if two folks voted Friend, they would share the jackpot. If one voted Foe, the Foe would win the jackpot. If both voted Foe, neither contestant got the jackpot. It was always sad to see the betrayed looks on contestant's faces when they voted Friend only to lose out to the person voting Foe. So, I am not sure if this game will reaffirm my faith in humanity ...or not. LOL.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I am sure I will be able to catch the first episode because GSN reruns everything. Thank you for listening.

Posted by: Angela Channing | Jul 18, 2007 2:45:51 AM

Seen this show and I'm not sure this is good for TV, especially after a comment made on last night's show. I saw it on the previews and it really got my attention so I watched. Icona, her name was, said that gay people she knows became gay because they were raped when they were young. She was talking about males, I think, at least she was talking about the guy on the show. It blew my mind. The gay man next to her at the best reaction ever. You can still see the show online. That's where I watch it since I don't have GSN. There's a time and place for these kinds of discussions. I don't think as a TV show where someone wins money is it.

Posted by: Larissa | Aug 8, 2007 7:49:33 PM

The show struck me as interesting and I thought I'd do some research for y'all. I found the show's podcast for those of you that care.

Posted by: Gill | Aug 10, 2007 5:50:09 PM

I really like this show. It makes you think about how easy it is to fall into pre judging. I caught myself a couple times, shame on me. Hope this gets more recognition, I think it could be very educational.

Posted by: Carmen | Aug 16, 2007 5:43:21 PM

Big Fan of the show. Looking forward to tonight's episode. Looks like it could get heavy, especially when dealing with religion.

Posted by: Sara | Aug 21, 2007 5:31:33 PM

OOh this last episode was good. It was a terrible panel of course but I think Ricky really deserved the money.

Posted by: Kathy | Aug 23, 2007 7:00:07 PM

If you're going to spam with the same IP address, at least use the same handle.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Aug 23, 2007 7:02:10 PM

So at least this week someone who deserved the money won. I'm very glad the panel picked Dennis, he seems to be a genuine person who will spend the money wisely.

Posted by: Terri | Aug 30, 2007 5:55:11 PM