RECENT  POSTS:  » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists' » In which another anti-gay group forces politicos to Gladys Kravitz our way into one family's divorce drama » In 2008, the AFA was the same on LGBT rights as President Obama; and I was a flying unicorn » The Hitching Post plot thickens in a truly remarkable way » On Rivka, Robert and their dirty, self-victimizing, anti-intellectual blame game » POTUS believes in fifty-state equality, happy with way it's playing out

11/26/2007

Video: Game is Halo, insults are hollow

Do you plan on delving into the multi-player portion of the Xbox 360 game Halo 3? And do you plan on using a handle that makes your sexual orientation perfectly clear? Well, then you should first watch this video to see what sort of aggressively ignorant bullsh*t may soon be coming your way (NSFW):

Charming. Though it does sort of make sense, as anti-gays are always hijacking halos in order to make gays seem like they have devil horns. It's just in this case, it's a dude's love for both euphemistic and literal joysticks that is being targeted.

Halo 3: Homophobia Evolved (NSFW) [YouTube]

My XBox Live name is Halo Kitty, my character is pink and I'm CONSTANTLY being called every horrible gay epithet in the book- and I'm a girl! Of course, once I speak, the anti-gay talk becomes anti-female rhetoric, with name-calling that would make Dick Cheney blush.

Posted by: Monica | Nov 26, 2007 8:17:39 PM

That's terrible, Monica. And it's made even worse when you consider that 3/4 of these dudes would never have the spine to make these comments in a face to face setting

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 26, 2007 8:34:54 PM

That's messed up, homophobic geeks? I always thought they'd be the least likely to hate on others especially for a character trait. Reason 51 I don't play online games. :P

Seriously tho, these people would never have the guts to say anyting like that over the phone to one of their friends, or to a random stranger on the street. Why does the Internet suddenly give people a pass to be a-holes?

Posted by: Daimeon | Nov 27, 2007 12:06:09 AM

Halo's an overrated game, anyway... (seriously, it really is... the game ISN'T that great). OF COURSE you'll get stupid people like this playing it: they have no taste. I would go as far as to say you'll see far less of this sort of behavior in online play of a GOOD game.

That's pretty sad, though... there is no better place to go to find an attitude of homophobia at its worst than online gaming, which combines the immediacy of teamspeak with facelessness.

Posted by: Karanis | Nov 27, 2007 12:52:37 PM

I only play World of Warcraft, and I've had quite the opposite reaction to what seems to happen on Halo.

I have my a guild called "REAL horde wear PINK" and openly GBLT guild and I get loads of applause for starting the guild and lots of support of other players. We're quite a successful guild.

Maybe it's the game genre: Fantasy Role Play vs Shooter....

Posted by: JayCanuck | Nov 27, 2007 3:31:13 PM

That's disgusting.

db

Posted by: Dave B. | Nov 28, 2007 10:12:57 PM

That's why I like the mute button.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 20, 2008 12:08:15 PM