RECENT  POSTS:  » Maggie 'always-the-victim' Gallagher did nothing to earn her anti-gay reputation » Anti-gay activists still don't realize 'recruitment' claims make them look ridiculous » Florida pro-discrimination activist John Stemberger's history leaves no room for LGBT people » Read: Federal Judge strikes down Florida marriage ban; stays ruling » Video: Southern Baptists promote upcoming anti-gay (and pro-'ex-gay') conference » The marriage debate per anti-LGBT, pro-discrimination activist » AFA's daily prayer equates homosexuality with incest, bestiality, pedophilia » GLAAD: What FRC's exploitation of Robin Williams' death is really about » Scott Lively's new mission: Making America's churches super-duper extra anti-gay » BYU protects the sanctity of pre-printed greetings

11/26/2007

Video: Game is Halo, insults are hollow

Do you plan on delving into the multi-player portion of the Xbox 360 game Halo 3? And do you plan on using a handle that makes your sexual orientation perfectly clear? Well, then you should first watch this video to see what sort of aggressively ignorant bullsh*t may soon be coming your way (NSFW):

Charming. Though it does sort of make sense, as anti-gays are always hijacking halos in order to make gays seem like they have devil horns. It's just in this case, it's a dude's love for both euphemistic and literal joysticks that is being targeted.

Halo 3: Homophobia Evolved (NSFW) [YouTube]

My XBox Live name is Halo Kitty, my character is pink and I'm CONSTANTLY being called every horrible gay epithet in the book- and I'm a girl! Of course, once I speak, the anti-gay talk becomes anti-female rhetoric, with name-calling that would make Dick Cheney blush.

Posted by: Monica | Nov 26, 2007 8:17:39 PM

That's terrible, Monica. And it's made even worse when you consider that 3/4 of these dudes would never have the spine to make these comments in a face to face setting

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 26, 2007 8:34:54 PM

That's messed up, homophobic geeks? I always thought they'd be the least likely to hate on others especially for a character trait. Reason 51 I don't play online games. :P

Seriously tho, these people would never have the guts to say anyting like that over the phone to one of their friends, or to a random stranger on the street. Why does the Internet suddenly give people a pass to be a-holes?

Posted by: Daimeon | Nov 27, 2007 12:06:09 AM

Halo's an overrated game, anyway... (seriously, it really is... the game ISN'T that great). OF COURSE you'll get stupid people like this playing it: they have no taste. I would go as far as to say you'll see far less of this sort of behavior in online play of a GOOD game.

That's pretty sad, though... there is no better place to go to find an attitude of homophobia at its worst than online gaming, which combines the immediacy of teamspeak with facelessness.

Posted by: Karanis | Nov 27, 2007 12:52:37 PM

I only play World of Warcraft, and I've had quite the opposite reaction to what seems to happen on Halo.

I have my a guild called "REAL horde wear PINK" and openly GBLT guild and I get loads of applause for starting the guild and lots of support of other players. We're quite a successful guild.

Maybe it's the game genre: Fantasy Role Play vs Shooter....

Posted by: JayCanuck | Nov 27, 2007 3:31:13 PM

That's disgusting.

db

Posted by: Dave B. | Nov 28, 2007 10:12:57 PM

That's why I like the mute button.

Posted by: Adam | Apr 20, 2008 12:08:15 PM