RECENT  POSTS:  » In 2008, the AFA was the same on LGBT rights as President Obama; and I was a flying unicorn » The Hitching Post plot thickens in a truly remarkable way » On Rivka, Robert and their dirty, self-victimizing, anti-intellectual blame game » POTUS believes in fifty-state equality, happy with way it's playing out » But your subjective view of 'real' marriage is factually irrelevant, Ryan » Flip Benham (yes, their dad) reportedly protesting outside NC weddings » TV's Duggar family continues anti-LGBT activism » Caught ya: Far-right's latest marriage 'victim' edited website to make more solid legal case » Read: Wyoming to become our 32nd marriage equality state » GLAAD: Victory is what happens while you're busy making other plans

03/18/2008

Wherein a relative of the accused drags us in the middle

Picture 5-119We haven't even written about a brutal attack in Rochester, NY, that is being labeled an anti-gay hate crime. However, this explanation/ excuse/ angry missive/ example of a keyboard with a stuck 'caps lock' key just landed in our Inbox, so in the interest of public information we thought we'd share:

"JUST WOULD LIKE TO LET THE GAY COMMUNITY KNOW THAT THE "SPENCERPORT HATE CRIME" IN NOT THAT AT ALL. JESSE PARSONS BELIEVED THAT THE GIRL THAT WAS WITH LANCE WAS EXACTLY THAT. LANCE'S GIRLFRIEND. SO, THIS HAS BEEN SO BLOWN UP. I AM RELATED TO JESSE PARSONS AND I CAN TELL YOU THIS IS NO HATE CRIME. JESSE HAS HAD A ROUGH LIFE NOT BY HIS OWN CHOOSING ALWAYS. THIS IS NOT AN EXCUSE FOR HURTING SOMEONE IN ANY WAY. IT DISGUSTS ME THAT A GAY MAN WOULD USE THE PUBLICITY THAT HE IS USING TO LIE, MAKING THINGS WORSE FOR THE GAY COMMUNITY. (IF HE IS GAY AT ALL) THE COMMENT ABOUT SHAKING HANDS ….LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING JESSE WAS 17 WHEN HE WENT TO PRISON I AM PRETTY SURE HE HAS SHAKEN A GAY MANS [sic] HANDS BEFORE. THAT IS JUST GARBAGE COMING OUT OF LANCE'S MOUTH. HE SHOULD STAND UP AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR HIS ACTIONS IN THIS. JESSE IS MAN ENOUGH TO TURN HIMSELF IN NOT HIDE BEHIND LIES. IF LANCE WAS SO "SCARED OR OFFENDED" BY JESSE WHY WOULD HE STAY IN THE BAR WITH HIM FOR 2- 3 HOURS. IF I WAS SCARED IN A BAR ANY BAR I WOULD LEAVE. COME LANCE STAND UP BE A DECENT PERSON AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CAN NOT EXPECT DRUNK PEOPLE TO ACT IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS. YOU APPARENTLY THINK IT IS OKAY TO SAY DEROGOTORY [sic] COMMENTS IF THEY COME OUT OF YOUR MOUTH? NOT ANYONE ELSE'S?"

*Hear the victim's side of the story: Hate crime victim talks about the attack [WHEC]

**SEE ALSO: Andy covered the story this morning: Brutal Hate Crime at Bar Near Rochester, New York [TR]

Aside from the incoherent and abusive nature (telling the victim to take his share of the responsibility??), it's kind of funny that he sends a letter for the entire "gay community" to just one person/website. I guess he thinks we're like the borg or something?

Posted by: PSUdain | Mar 18, 2008 12:58:01 PM

PSU: Yea, and I've checked with some of my fellows. This site seems to be the only one that's been contacted so far, despite having not written about the incident at all.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 18, 2008 1:00:06 PM

oh well, that clears it all up then. nothing to see here, move along. jeezus, i've had about all i can take of this shit. if someone attacked my partner, i honestly don't know what harm i might unleash. and that's scary and sad.

Posted by: c-freak | Mar 18, 2008 1:02:28 PM

"TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS. YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CAN NOT EXPECT DRUNK PEOPLE TO ACT IN THEIR RIGHT MINDS"

Anyone else amused by this hypocritical little passage?

Just who was responsible for Jesse being so drunk?

Posted by: Mad John | Mar 18, 2008 1:09:50 PM

Well I think with those sort of relatives it's pretty clear how Jesse came to think that he should beat gay people. After all, they deserve it for thinking that drunk idiots won't attack them.

Posted by: Timothy Kincaid | Mar 18, 2008 2:10:20 PM

In regards to "JESSE PARSONS BELIEVED THAT THE GIRL THAT WAS WITH LANCE WAS EXACTLY THAT. LANCE'S GIRLFRIEND."

Did I miss something? I haven't done a whole lot of looking into this topic, but I did read the links provided. The articles say that Neve was there with his boyfriend. One article mentions another friend. Nothing about a girlfriend. I guess you have to be related to Jesse Parsons to know about the girlfriend. Also, if it's not a hate crime, then what is it? Did Parsons beat Neve to a pulp for no good reason? I personally find random acts of violence to be abhorrent.

Posted by: Miranda | Mar 18, 2008 5:52:02 PM

Last time I looked a judge doesn't accept the defense "but I was drunk and not resposible".

Drunks are still legally responsible for their actions.

Posted by: Tom | Mar 19, 2008 12:11:52 PM

I am totally disgusted that any family member would write what they did in support of what Jesse did. You are no
better. I suppose when he was arrested and served prison time for burglary you supported that too oh and let me guess it wasn't his fault either and he was drunk, or how about his DWI that he got back in October, not his fault either huh, but obviously we know he was drunk. This guy deserves to be locked up for at least 10 years. How do you know there was a female...oh let me guess Jesse told you there wasn't, it was him his boyfriend and another friend, I will assume it was a female...because Jesse waited for his boyfriend to go into the bathroom before doing what he did, He knew the female wouldn't do anything to him but I am sure the boyfriend would have...Boy that says a lot about the character of Jesse Parsons. I am not gay but I will tell you this I would believe Neve before I ever put trust into anything Jesse Parsons says...Oh and Jesse turned himself in, sorry to say but he did this more than a week after his horrific and yes "HATE" CRIME! I think he wanted to be sure the man was going to live before he turned himself in cause than he knew it wouldn't be a murder charge...by the way there was plenty of witnesses he didn't have a choice but to turn himself in. I hope he gets the harshest sentence possible....he is not deserving of being a dad to his child...let alone his unborn child, they will be better off without their alcoholic, convicted felon DAD.

Posted by: disgusted | Apr 21, 2008 12:25:02 PM

actually, it wasn't a hate crime. that asshole was provoking him and thats all there is to it. It was a fucking bar fight, get over it people.

Posted by: Jakki | Aug 11, 2008 10:11:58 PM

Anyone know the outcome of this? Did Jesse get any time for this crime?

Posted by: Rachael | Oct 8, 2008 12:41:16 AM