RECENT  POSTS:  » Fringe pro-discrimination group thinks it can stop companies from sponsoring HRC event; adorable » Video: Josh Duggar promoting civil inequality for thousands of grown kids (and counting) » Brian Brown's focus on Kansas, Gov. Brownback shows how much of a political game this is for him » Tiny fraction of North Carolina magistrates choose to free up their days rather than serve local gays » Video: Reality star Josh Duggar leads sad little inequality rally in Little Rock, AR » READ: Federal judge strikes Montana's discriminatory marriage ban » Major global brand P&G comes out for marriage equality » In 2013, HRC went red for equality; NOM just went in the red » Meanwhile, on the right side of history and inevitability... » WHOA! Mark Regnerus made the #Humanum conference videos?!

04/25/2008

WA: Grown adults teach teens how to throw stones

As local media outlets have now filed their noon news reports on the west coast, we are starting to get some of the first images from the protest that anti-gay bully Ken Hutcherson has waged at Washington's Mount Si High School. And from what we can tell, the opposition's little picket is actually looking a bit weak:

Picture 2-142Picture 3-115
Picture 5-122Picture 4-134

Torch-wielding mobs are just NOT what they used to be!

But we did want to comment on one particular image we saw from Hutch's lil' demonstration. If you look behind Hutcherson in the following pic, you will see that the parental demonstrator is holding a sign:

Picture 8-85

While you can't really make it out in that photo, the sign reads "My Athlete Is Safe At Home." And to us, it's a little detail that actually speaks volumes about the mindsets of those who have chosen to protest the students who are standing up for gays. For starters, there is the deliberate choice to describe the student as an "athlete." But why? It's as if the athletic classification puts him or her in another category that extends beyond normal student. As if their status as one who engages in competitive sport makes their absence somehow carry more weight. And as ones who've gone through the American high school system, where athletics pursuits are all-too-often indulged while educational and creative ones are marginalized, we totally understand why it is a detail that has a resonance with many. "Mathlete" just wouldn't hold the same weight in the eyes of far too many.

Then there is the idea that the athlete is "safe at home," tucked away from those "militant gays" and their "threatening" agenda. How offensive is that nonsense? Gay kids brave taunts and teasing every single day of their lives! And not to be overly stereotypical or to generalize about teen archetypes, but it is undeniably those on the side of athletics who, due to the hyper-masculinity that comes with competitive sport, often embrace hostility towards the "sissy kid."

Now, this writer isn't trying to dog on athletes by saying this -- I come to you as a current gay and former athlete. I've been in those dugouts and locker rooms, with machismo on my outer being and closeted gay desires on my inner soul. I KNOW what is said. And I know that it is not my athletic identity that ever needed protection from bullies -- it was my true self, were such ever revealed during those adolescent times!

Alright, enough analysis of this sign. It just seemed like a nuanced choice of words that was worth examination. Carry on.

Students, protestors square off outside Mt. Si High School [KOMO]

I can't think of a better way to show that gay students are subjected to violence and taunts every day. Thank you Rev. Nutcherson for bringing our point home!

Posted by: stojef | Apr 25, 2008 4:28:01 PM

I can see why she'd want to keep her "athlete" son home on the day of silence, with that homosexual agenda going on in the school.

It's not like men pinning men in tights down on a mat, getting naked in the showers and grabbing each others asses, and holding onto other team-mates crotches when the ball is flying towards the hoop in a free-throw isn't homo-erotic in any way, form or fashion. It's totally straight!

Posted by: Scott | Apr 25, 2008 4:28:08 PM

shame on this hutcherson fool, he must be a closeted homosexual

Posted by: queerunity | Apr 25, 2008 4:36:27 PM

"And to us, it's a little detail that actually speaks volumes about the mindsets of those who have chosen to protest the students who are standing up for gays."

The recent sharp rise in homeschooling is directly attributable to Evangelicals and similar types who are seeking to "protect" their kids from evolution, sex ed and of course "teh gheys." These are the same sort of parents who send their kids to Jesus Camp.

They also do not hesitate to point out that, historically, home-schooled kids do better on average, without mentioning that their version of "homeschooling" is rather different from the traditional type.

Posted by: KipEsquire | Apr 25, 2008 4:41:20 PM

So, I am a totaly ditz. I never realized that He lived so close to me! I'm in Tacoma. So, I have to live in the same state as that guy. Not all that happy right now. And that is besides tht tuition woes.

Posted by: Piper | Apr 25, 2008 6:13:08 PM

Doesn't look like Hutcherson got very many of the faithful out to his big insurection event:

A hundred or so supporters of Pastor Ken Hutcherson of the Antioch Bible Church in Redmond came out to protest the day of silence at the school.

And:

About 50 gay rights supporters wearing armbands and carrying rainbow flags quietly demonstrated outside the school as classes started.

Dick Mills

Posted by: Dick Mills | Apr 25, 2008 9:38:54 PM

Ok, now do you want to know the rest of the story? Do you want to know what really happened? About how the community there actually sees this day?

Posted by: Rabid Poodle | Apr 25, 2008 11:36:38 PM

Thanks for sharing your experience, Rabid Poodle. Were you the one I saw interviewed by KOMO?

Posted by: G-A-Y | Apr 26, 2008 12:21:57 AM

Here is a question. Where did he get his Doctorate from? His churches website calls him Dr. Hutcherson. I looked at his education, and nowhere did it say he got his doctorate. So, he is misrepresenting himself even more.I'm thinking of e-mailing the church. Before I do that, does anyone here know something I don't know that would make it okay for him to call himself a Doctor?

Posted by: Piper | Apr 26, 2008 12:54:50 AM

Hutcherson is a child who's had his feelings hurt so he has turned the school and its gay students into his target because apparently the big bad chrisitan needs his revenge. Pathetic and self absorbed.

Posted by: Patrick B | Apr 26, 2008 4:10:06 AM

Piper,
It says he has a "Honorary Doctorate" from 2002 given by the Theological Seminary, Portland, OR. But after some looking i can find no such school going by that name. There is a seminary in OR but it doesn't go by that name.

Posted by: Patrick B | Apr 26, 2008 10:18:15 AM

"the sign reads "My Athlete Is Safe At Home."
-a little detail that actually speaks volumes about the mindsets of those who have chosen to protest
-as if the athletic classification puts him or her in another category that extends beyond normal student.
-As if their status as one who engages in competitive sport makes their absence somehow carry more weight."
Good insight! I wonder if that seeming increased status as an athlete would mean they carry more weight as a son or daughter as well. Like a “trophy” son or daughter, a possession who’s worth is determined by what they do - or their "behavior" if you will.

Posted by: Emproph | Apr 26, 2008 2:25:34 PM

If the person you saw was wearing a rainbow hat and carrying a rainbow flag, then yes that was me in the KOMO interview. I didn't know that had made it to their air, as I spent the day up there away from the TV.

Posted by: Rabid Poodle | Apr 27, 2008 12:19:21 AM