RECENT  POSTS:  » Prominent conservative outlet equates LGBT activists with Nazi paramilitary » New pledge: Conservative pastors choose to separate selves from civil marriage » Read: ADF creates fake 'victim' superbook; misapplies business matters to churches » P&G reaches out to pro-discrimination activist, learns it made right choice » In prep for Pope's 2015 visit, World Meeting of Families readies gay stigma, exclusion » Today in ambition: NOM cofounder vows to fight marriage equality for 100 years » Video: Mississippian who made soldier his lifestyle choice seeks freedom based on unchosen orientation » One of America's most anti-gay organizations rallies for the Duggars; because of course they would » Photo: Stop! Turn around! Don't let NOM force you onto the dead-end pier that is their cause! » One day, two country singers—zero closets

05/01/2008

Can't we remember the good times (that didn't foster bias)?

Pastor Ken Hutcherson, who you might remember staged an attention-causing boycott and protest against the Day of Silence, has written the following email message to his congregants:

Praise for a one life story! I received a call from a man who was the Student Body President and graduate of Mt. Si High School class of 1951! He and his wife who both attended Mt. Si and still live in Snoqualmie have been horrified as they have watched the purveyors of the homosexual agenda wield their power at their beloved Alma mater. They were so encouraged to read that we were taking a stand on the Day of Silence. However, two days before the protest, the wife suddenly and unexpectedly passed away. Her husband called to thank us for the hope we provided to her that someone cared enough to act.

Pastor Hutch

Wait, so the way this septegenerian's life is being summed up is by her antipathy for gay rights? Her final days are being remembered not by peace and love but rather by divisive "culture war" nonsense? Call us fans of reverent funerals if you must, but something about this whole presentation just rubs us the wrong way.

We're not denying that this grieving husband realistically called Hutcherson and said what is claimed. We're just asking of all involved: Isn't there a better way to eulogize a person than to highlight the fact that they went to their grave not understanding the unique and wonderful role of LGBT people in society?

Day of Silence Protest Positive Story! [AB Church]

"beloved Alma mater"?

I'm not quite that old and I hardly remember anything about my high school. Ok. Maybe that's just me and they should get the benefit of the doubt. But for sure those two should have gotten out of Snoqualmie more often.

db

Posted by: dave b | May 1, 2008 5:38:49 PM

I don't see how that is a positive story in any stretch of imagination.

Posted by: a. mcewen | May 1, 2008 6:12:04 PM

If I were Revs. Hagee or Robertson, I'd say that God struck her dead so she couldn't protest. But I'm not a frothing idiot.

Posted by: Timothy | May 1, 2008 7:30:28 PM

Class of 51.... yep we lose more of em every year... Thank GOD. Sorry but that's just how I feel about the NEVER CHANGELINGS. I have a patient who would be class of '49 who is
very proud of her gay brother and his longterm partner!.... and so am I.

Posted by: LOrion | May 1, 2008 8:30:08 PM

I'm so prominently featured on god's shit list that I just have to say it, "I wonder what she did that had god so pissed off at that he struck her dead just days before the big protest?"

Sounds like he snatched from her what would have been the defining moment of her otherwise less-meaningful life??? So sad.

Posted by: Dick Mills | May 1, 2008 11:26:11 PM

Oh Timothy, go ahead and be a frothing idiot today.

Jeremy, unique and wonderful? My husband certainly didn't think I was so wonderful when I saw the mess in the bathroom and went off the graph this morning. Now that was being a frothing idiot. I guess I better call him and apologize.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 2, 2008 8:49:59 AM

Anyone at that age who still holds their old high school in such high regard needs to get a life.

Their old college, maybe. But who cares about their 90210 years?

Posted by: Scott | May 2, 2008 1:07:46 PM

Woo HOOO! :)

I love Pastor Hutch and his willingness to stand on the Word of God regardless of the hate and threats.

Christ is alive and can make a difference in your life... try giving Him a chance. :)

Posted by: Jason | May 17, 2009 4:52:55 PM

Oh, another anti-gay commenter who is (a) claiming that gays are the ones who are dispensing "hate and threats," and (b) acting as if gay and God are diametrically opposed concepts. It's getting so boring.

Posted by: G-A-Y | May 17, 2009 6:24:19 PM