RECENT  POSTS:  » GLAAD: Are some anti-LGBT activists missing a self-awareness gene? » FRC faults Dems for broken, obstructionist Congress while advocating for broken, obstructionist Congress » FRC senior staffer: 'Ex-Gays: The Best Kept Secret in Your Child’s School' » Video: In inclusive ad, AZ Sec. of State hopeful makes discrimination his rival » That discriminatory OR baker is really overthinking reason why she's national news » Robert Oscar Lopez confirms belief that gay parents are like slave owners » Video: Values Voter Summit marriage panel was particularly boring, bad, ineffective this year » Conservative Catholic professor: Gay activists like segregationists in 'single-minded heedlessness' » Stop claiming Biden, Obama, Clinton, et al. supported marriage amendments—they did not. » Audio: Peter LaBarbera attempts to deny 'hate' by repeating his extremely hateful quote

05/21/2008

SC principal expels self

Eddie Walker, the principal of South Carolina's Irmo High School, has announced that due to the creation of a Gay-Straight Alliance at his place of employment, he will be resigning from his position. Here is the letter that Walker wrote to the school:

Oh yes, that old idea that by acknowledging gayness, one is automatically focusing on sex. Even though heterosexuality -- by virtue of king/queen coronations, proms, and other teen rites of passages -- is constantly acknowledged and even emboldened in high school life without the boy-girl pairings being seen as a ticket to Schtup Town, when gays and their acceptance is on put on the cafeteria table, social conservatives' minds automatically go to intercourse. But why?! If hetero teens were demonstrably facing harassment because of their sexual orientation (which is not the same as sexual activity), it's a certainty that steps would be taken to remedy the problem. But with gays, the opposition acts as if by working to stop the bullying for the person, you are opening the doors of a No-Tell Motel and and putting up the "Don Not Disturb" sign. So annoying.

But whatever. If Mr. Walker feels that he can not handle the differences in viewpoint, then he has every right to step away from the perceived struggle. We just hope that the pupils under his tutelage don't internalize the sent message as giving them their own disregard for gay acceptance an excused absence.

Irmo High principal quitting over Gay-Straight Alliance [WISTV]

**See also: Alvin McEwen rightfully applauds Mr. Walker for not trying to legally oppose the GSA.

Those South Carolinian principals can be such drama queens!

Posted by: Dick Mills | May 21, 2008 2:58:30 PM

I wonder if he is really not going to make a big deal out of this on the intercom. Hopefully someone inside will report on what he really said. And the school will be better off once he leaves.

Posted by: kevin | May 21, 2008 5:46:35 PM

Give me a break. In all my years of teaching, I never heard of a faculty member being that disturbed by a conflicting opinion. There were several born agains in the last school at which I worked. They were all able to work with an out gay man without turning to pillars of salt.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | May 21, 2008 5:52:25 PM

Dear Irmo Nation,

I have decided to resign as prinicipal effective next year because the formation of a "Homecoming Court" conflicts with my proffesional convictions and religious beliefs. It's my opinion that pairing students together as "couples" in such a "court" and the accompanying "dance" implies that these students have chosen to sexual activity.

This is based on the fact that my mind is in the gutter and I can't think about my students without imagining what they do sexually when they're alone together. Due to the dirty state of my mind, I must resign lest I be forced spend another year thinking about teenage sex.

Shamefully yours,

Eddie "Giant Douche" Walker

Posted by: GayMormonBoy | May 21, 2008 6:09:43 PM

Drama queen sums it up. He might as well move from his city too. I'm sure there's a gay bar somewhere in the city and that would contradict with his religious convictions and whatnot.

Gambia would be a nice place for him to spend his retirement.

Posted by: | May 21, 2008 10:47:21 PM

Oh, and did you all see the rest of the article:

"We are not putting them like, 'ugh. You know you're lepers.' But we have to stand for what our foundation of our nation was about," says parent Brenda Enoch.

Enoch supports Walker's decision to resign. She feels the formation of the Gay/Straight Alliance club would lower values in schools that parents have fought hard to achieve.

"You stand up for what you believe in. Your principles. Don't try to change others," she says. "He has to stand for what he believes in. And if he stands for what he believes in, then yes. I feel it's just."

----

Gay people: lowering standards for everyone.

Posted by: | May 21, 2008 10:49:49 PM

I hate to post three times in a row, damnit, but as I'm anonymous, I doubt it'd even be noticeable if I hadn't pointed it out... Just noticed the poll on the news article too:

Do you think schools should allow Gay/Straight Alliance clubs?

No 66%

*sigh* And then these bigots like to point out that gay suicide rates are higher than straights, implying that homosexuality is a mental disorder. If kids could feel accepted and happy with how they were born, there wouldn't be any differences.

I've been reading your blog for quite a few months now, and, on a near-daily basis, it manages to leave me feeling depressed, outraged, upset, annoyed, frustrated... but rarely hopeful.

Posted by: | May 21, 2008 10:54:19 PM