RECENT  POSTS:  » Whether justified or Kim Davis-ed, individualistic rage rarely outplays broader truths » Kim Davis: The almost too perfect coda to the marriage discrimination fight » Anti-gay clerks are going to have to do their jobs. Because of course they are. » Jeb really wants to remind voters of his anti-'same status' plan for gay couples » Maine: NOM finally forced to hand over its tiny, out-of-state, incestuous donor roll » This delusional primary: Huckabee claims 'same-sex marriage is not the law of the land' » The 'Yeah. Duh. Of course' phase of this fight » Trailer: 'Stonewall' » And now NOM is literally pleading with its (theoretical) supporters » Add 'professional advocate for anti-gay scouting' to list of bygone career choices

07/09/2008

Anita-d a good laugh this afternoon

Picture 21-19Oh holy mother of '70s era activists: How did we not know about Anita Bryant's new website until today?! For while it is completely lacking in usable content, the perfectly-toned campiness of the creation makes us simply giddy with delight. Seriously, it looks like something a once-famous-but-now-forgotten Anita Bryant-like character in a Christopher Guest film would come up with, not the actual, tangible product of the woman herself!

Anita's disembodied head flying in the heavens. An unbelievably cheesy flaming heart logo. Photos that do nothing more than twinkle when you hover over them with your mouse. Pretentiously Godly muzak. Screen caps and link after the jump:

Picture 17-33
Picture 18-28
Picture 16-35
Picture 19-29
Picture 20-32

Peter LaBarbera, Janet Folger, Matt Barber, et al: Are you kids taking design notes?

*For the full effect: Anita Bryant Ministries International

(Note: You might have trouble loading the site if using Firefox running on a Mac)

With XP and Mozilla I get only a French rendition of her page. This woman is really not worth the effort to find out why it won't work.

Posted by: dave b | Jul 9, 2008 8:40:56 PM

I tried to leave a comment:

"Seriously, this is a joke, right? . . .Please reply."

NADA . .LOL: "The page you are looking for cannot be displayed because an invalid method (HTTP verb) was used to attempt access".

But then, that's a good thing, because we don't need anyone else needlessly exposed to this woman. . .and, yep, if you're too young to remember . . .google. . . .american sweetheart turns right wing anti-gay hero.

Posted by: gary | Jul 9, 2008 9:14:23 PM

Oh dear.

Posted by: stojef | Jul 9, 2008 10:37:14 PM

Yeah - anyone with a World Nut Daily endorsement still doesn't get my respect.

Posted by: Eddie Keator | Jul 9, 2008 11:51:01 PM

Ugh! Someone throw a pie at that website!

Posted by: Sykler | Jul 10, 2008 4:30:07 PM

Ask and you shall receive, Sykler:

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 10, 2008 4:42:02 PM

Y'know, I'm old enough to remember her days as a pitchwoman for Florida orange juice. When I was a kid, I actually owned a promotional 4-song record of hers that included a musical tribute to the little orange Bird mascot.
Just a few short years later in Jr. High school,, just when I was figuring out I was gay, Anita was launching her campaign to "Save Our Children". Apparently it didn't occur to her that some of them could be gay themselves. Carol Burnett did an amusing sendup of her.
I wonder if she realizes that "I Am What I Am" is also the name of a song from "La Cage AuX Folles", and a gay-rights anthem?

Posted by: Bill S | Jul 10, 2008 8:55:56 PM

As for that record: I wish I could say I hunted it down and smashed it, but it had been lost long before Anita's crusade.

Posted by: Bill S | Jul 10, 2008 8:58:29 PM

Bill: Jane Curtin also did a few funny send ups on SNL. You can find one of them on the complete 3rd season DVD box set that was recently released.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 10, 2008 8:59:44 PM

The first CD on the order page is "I Am What I Am"? You gotta be kidding. How ironic.

Posted by: Doug | Jul 14, 2008 8:51:21 PM