RECENT  POSTS:  » Read: Viciously anti-LGBT activist Peter LaBarbera justifies lifting my wedding photo to 'express moral disapproval' » 'Public Discourse' writer introduces me to some guy named 'Jeremy Hooper,' who seems like a real ass » NOM vows to keep destroying the Republican party through spiteful campaigns » FRC: Christians must vote to stop same-sex marriage, 'other evils' » Religious freedom, American Family Association style: 'We should treat Islam like the Ebola virus' » Pro-discrimination activists continue to use one woman's one-sided spite against ex-husband to attack marriage equality » Audio: Tony Perkins minimizes actual religious persecution; pretends he and anti-gay pals face 'deadly consequences' » Ryan Anderson, Mark Regnerus, Rick Warren, other inequality advocates urge Pope to 'commit to marriage' » GLAAD: Are some anti-LGBT activists missing a self-awareness gene? » FRC faults Dems for broken, obstructionist Congress while advocating for broken, obstructionist Congress

07/29/2008

Mass House is a very, very, very fine house

HOLY CRAPBALLS! By a whopping margin of 118-35, the Massachusetts House has voted to repeal the 1913 law that prevented out-of-state gays form marrying:

House passes 1913 repeal [PolitickerMA]

So that's it. It now goes to Gov. Patrick, and he's definitely gonna sign it. America's same-sex union options will then include both Martha's Vineyard or a Napa Vineyard, regardless of home state. Even for the most cynical of gay activists, this has to be seen as a positive.

But ya know, despite our jubilation, it does actually look like we have to eat a little crow and offer up the social conservatives an apology. For just as the decision was announced, their heretofore fear-mongery predictions seem to have actually come true:

200807291625

Vegas of gay marriage, baby!

YEAH!!!!!

Posted by: Randy | Jul 29, 2008 4:20:56 PM

I know you've got more to add, but just a big Congratulations to all back East for this victory! ...

Posted by: LOrion | Jul 29, 2008 4:21:36 PM

Awesome!

Now I have an alternative location for my wedding next year. I would prefer a NYS wedding, but I'll settle for MA.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 29, 2008 4:22:03 PM

I'm already making plans. We're flying into Boston, ferry to P-town. There's a bus that can take us to Orleans for the courthouse and back. It's possible that we'll not only have our religious ceremony here in PA, but follow it up with a legal license from MA! Yippee!

Posted by: keltic | Jul 29, 2008 5:09:20 PM

Posted by: dave b | Jul 29, 2008 5:30:26 PM

There's another tally mark for the book. *Fist-bumps with some random person*

Also, congrats, keltic!

Posted by: Baldran | Jul 29, 2008 5:49:18 PM

No no no no no

Terrible news. We californians selfishly want all the gay wedding tourism dollars.

Oh well. I guess I can be happy for all the gay couples who can make it a weekend drive instead of a cross-country flight. Sigh.

Congrats Bay Staters and neighbors

Posted by: Timothy | Jul 29, 2008 6:49:16 PM

Love the Martha/Napa comment.... sorry plagiarizing it all over the place!
Did you add another very today? Keep doing it...specially after it is signed. Now we got em from both sides of the country....need to work right back to KERN's hometown.

Posted by: LOrion | Jul 30, 2008 11:02:38 AM

Great illustration! I was afraid with the end of the legislative session coming up, the Mass. House was just going to stall on this. So I'm glad they showed some intestinal fortitude. No casinos yet in Massachusetts but there are lots of other nice places to tie the knot!

Posted by: Esther | Jul 30, 2008 4:00:03 PM