RECENT  POSTS:  » NOM spends six figures on North Carolina's Hagan/Tillis US Senate race » Idaho wedding venue can be discriminatory so long as it sticks to new business model » Sunday in Houston: Activists mad that churches were noted for their politicization head to a church—to politicize » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists'

07/29/2008

Mass House is a very, very, very fine house

HOLY CRAPBALLS! By a whopping margin of 118-35, the Massachusetts House has voted to repeal the 1913 law that prevented out-of-state gays form marrying:

House passes 1913 repeal [PolitickerMA]

So that's it. It now goes to Gov. Patrick, and he's definitely gonna sign it. America's same-sex union options will then include both Martha's Vineyard or a Napa Vineyard, regardless of home state. Even for the most cynical of gay activists, this has to be seen as a positive.

But ya know, despite our jubilation, it does actually look like we have to eat a little crow and offer up the social conservatives an apology. For just as the decision was announced, their heretofore fear-mongery predictions seem to have actually come true:

200807291625

Vegas of gay marriage, baby!

YEAH!!!!!

Posted by: Randy | Jul 29, 2008 4:20:56 PM

I know you've got more to add, but just a big Congratulations to all back East for this victory! ...

Posted by: LOrion | Jul 29, 2008 4:21:36 PM

Awesome!

Now I have an alternative location for my wedding next year. I would prefer a NYS wedding, but I'll settle for MA.

Posted by: Dave | Jul 29, 2008 4:22:03 PM

I'm already making plans. We're flying into Boston, ferry to P-town. There's a bus that can take us to Orleans for the courthouse and back. It's possible that we'll not only have our religious ceremony here in PA, but follow it up with a legal license from MA! Yippee!

Posted by: keltic | Jul 29, 2008 5:09:20 PM

Posted by: dave b | Jul 29, 2008 5:30:26 PM

There's another tally mark for the book. *Fist-bumps with some random person*

Also, congrats, keltic!

Posted by: Baldran | Jul 29, 2008 5:49:18 PM

No no no no no

Terrible news. We californians selfishly want all the gay wedding tourism dollars.

Oh well. I guess I can be happy for all the gay couples who can make it a weekend drive instead of a cross-country flight. Sigh.

Congrats Bay Staters and neighbors

Posted by: Timothy | Jul 29, 2008 6:49:16 PM

Love the Martha/Napa comment.... sorry plagiarizing it all over the place!
Did you add another very today? Keep doing it...specially after it is signed. Now we got em from both sides of the country....need to work right back to KERN's hometown.

Posted by: LOrion | Jul 30, 2008 11:02:38 AM

Great illustration! I was afraid with the end of the legislative session coming up, the Mass. House was just going to stall on this. So I'm glad they showed some intestinal fortitude. No casinos yet in Massachusetts but there are lots of other nice places to tie the knot!

Posted by: Esther | Jul 30, 2008 4:00:03 PM