RECENT  POSTS:  » FRC prays for God's people to 'arise' against LGBT rights » Michael Brown will save his waning movement by grouping homosexuality with incest » GOP pollster Luntz to Heritage Foundation's Anderson: 'Gay marriage is harmless' » Read: Federal court judge rules against Colorado's discriminatory marriage ban » You guys, will you please pipe down so Sen. Rubio can dismantle your deserved freedoms? » 'Mask is coming off' LGBTs, says man who vowed to export and/or criminalize LGBTs » Exxon, infamous holdout on fair and decent employment protections, could be running out of options » Oregon baker who refused same-sex wedding cake bakes for 'ex-gay' org » PFOX rebrands; into group play, seemingly » Audio: Listen to this ADF spinmeister and his anti-gay spin

07/11/2008

Report: 'Top Notch' biz hit with 'Anything But' messages

Picture 4-152Two gay men from the Buckhead section of Atlanta, GA, say that their joint business, Top Notch Upholstery & Design, has been targeted in recent days by anti-gay messages. Dan Young and Larry Bilger tell the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that someone has been leaving slurs on their windows overnight:

Anti-gay messages perplex Buckhead men [AJC]

Hmm, let's see here: Buckhead. Buck-head. What term could we possibly come up with to refer to a local (or locals) who chooses to harass gay men with anti-gay epithets while under the cover of darkness? A "duck head"? A "guck head"? ::sigh:: We simply can't think of anything that rhymes with "buck head"!

But back to the story: Larry and Dan say they are putting up surveillance cams. As for us? Well, we just sincerely hope they catch the Faack Haad(s)!

You can always go with anagrams!

Buckheads - he suck bad

Posted by: Dick Mills | Jul 11, 2008 5:53:52 PM

There is no reason to be racist and taunt them for speaking and writing Spanish by mocking them with "Fick Heed(s)!"

Their own homophobia should be the focus of this story, not their ethnicity. Hate knows no race.

Posted by: Alyssa | Jul 13, 2008 5:16:27 PM

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, Alyssa -- you totally missed our point here.

The silliness was that to us, "F*ck heads" seemed like a very obvious thing that one might call someone who had wronged gays in the area of Buck Head. However, we acted as if it wasn't obvious to us, which is why we used "Duck Heads" and "Guck Heads" in paragraph 2. Then in the closer, we used "Fick Heeds" as a way to once again dance around the term. It was as if to say that the term that was so obvious (to us at least) was still being lost on us. There was not even a SLIGHT racial tone to it.

I'll change it to "Fack Haad(s)" so as to hopefully avoid any further confusion! Again -- the ideas you are proposing were NEVER on my mind.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 13, 2008 5:38:35 PM

I see your comment here is different from the one in my email reader. If only I had seen your edit...

Thanks for making the change. Showing sensitivity to issues of language and issues of diversity make us better than the haters.

And this is why lgbt rights will be secured. Because we are better than hate.

Posted by: Alyssa | Jul 15, 2008 10:54:01 PM

Alyssa: Please quit trying to stir up a situation where there is none. There was no "racism" in my language -- it was just an attempt to be silly that apparently failed. Again -- the intention was to act as if the word "fuck heads" had escaped me, which is why after using "duck heads" and "guck heads" (the two terms that, barring an unusable "euck heads," would alphabetically surround "fuck heads",) I proceeded in the last paragraph to used a version of "fick heeds." It was simply me changing the vowel sounds but keeping the "almost 'fuck heads' but not quite" gag running. It was just a stupid little bit, playing off the name 'Buckhead." The ethnicity of the perp(s) was not even in my mind. And frankly, I find it quite offensive to even have to dignify your accusations.

Also, the comment here is no diff. than the one I sent you via email, with the exception of the final line (which I added after considering how you misinterpreted what had been written). However, your tone is QUITE different than in the several emails you have sent me over the past few days, in which you have inundated me with some of the most egregious accusations, suppositions, labels, and condemnations that have ever been placed on me by a reader. If that is how you choose to conduct yourself, than I would prefer to not have you as a reader.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 16, 2008 8:16:46 AM

I see you also edited out the reference to the epithets being written in Spanish.

Thanks.

The idiots' race need not be the point of this article. Their misguided hate should be.

Thanks for recasting it in a light that does not denigrate Latinos.

Peace, and be well.