RECENT  POSTS:  » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists' » In which another anti-gay group forces politicos to Gladys Kravitz our way into one family's divorce drama » In 2008, the AFA was the same on LGBT rights as President Obama; and I was a flying unicorn » The Hitching Post plot thickens in a truly remarkable way

08/21/2008

A hallmark moment for the equality movement

Picture 2-175The Hallmark card company has added a new line to its traditional "Happy Birthday," "Thank you," and "Sorry for the loss of your cat" cards. The company is rolling out cards (like the one pictured at left) that specifically speak to same-sex unions

Now on the Hallmark aisle: Gay marriage cards [AP via Google]

Like most every other card in existence, one is required to move the top cover from right to left in order to enjoy the card's contents. Unlike other cards, however, society will also move its thinking from right to left before the existences of these new greetings will be greeted without controversy.

It is good they are going ahead and putting them, out....not dragging their feet waiting till November as even some of the true gay business card makers are. They even make 'coming out' cards which I think would be a challenge.....But it call comes down to business.. this also reported.

Hallmark started offering “coming out” cards last year, and the four designs of same-sex marriage cards are being gradually released this summer and will be widely available by next year. No sales figures were available yet.

“When I have shopped for situations like babies or weddings for gay friends I have good luck in quirky stores,” said Kathryn Hamm, president of the Web site gayweddings.com.

“But if you are just in a generic store … the bride and groom symbol or words are in most cards,” she said. “It becomes difficult to find some that are neutral but have some style.”

The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law estimates that more than 85,000 same-sex couples in the United States have entered into a legal relationship since 1997, when Hawaii started offering some legal benefits to same-sex partners.

It estimates nearly 120,000 more couples will marry in California during the next three years - and that means millions of potential dollars for all sorts of wedding-industry businesses.

I think that is a higher number than they originally quoted... and now with the addtion of Massachusetts allowing out of state...eg. New Yorkers, who will then be reccognized even more are added.

Yep I think someone (eg read Chief Justice George) pushed a BIG pebble off the top of the mountain and it is really gathering steam!

Posted by: LOrion | Aug 21, 2008 10:47:26 AM

Counting down to the boycott of Hallmark in: 10....9....8....7...6...........

Posted by: Taylor | Aug 21, 2008 11:30:56 AM

Taylor, you beat me to it!!!

However, I'm looking forward to getting and giving a few of those. (We're getting re-married, and my wife and I both have very good friends going to MassVegas soon.)

Posted by: GreenEyedLilo | Aug 21, 2008 11:44:47 AM

You know, it's funny -- I've sorta taken these sorts of cards for granted. Here in NYC, you can find same-sex commitment cards in almost every wedding greeting section of any card store. This story just kind of reminded me how non-commonplace these sorts of greetings are for so much of the country.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Aug 21, 2008 12:09:13 PM

I'd probably have noticed, except I suck when it comes to buying cards and prefer to get artsy ones from museums and such when I do buy them. :-)

Posted by: GreenEyedLilo | Aug 21, 2008 12:25:06 PM

We have "arrived". All the legal issues about gay marriage are moot now that Hallmark is on our side. Our fight for equality will be complete when we can buy the cake decorations for the top of the wedding cake to reflect our kind of marriage.

Posted by: cowboy | Aug 21, 2008 1:45:08 PM

Yeah, even in the Chicago area you don't see gay friendly cards outside of the gay neighborhoods, and even then it's exclusively in specialty shops, not at Walgreens, CVS, Jewel, Dominick's, etc. It's been quite frustrating shopping for an anniversary card for my partner for the past couple years, everything always has "husband", "wife", both, or is written specifically for a straight couple. Even when they don't have it in writing the picture of the happy couple is always made out to be male and female, even if it's two animals they add gender-norming accessories!
So I end up looking for blank-inside cards that have some sort of funny outside that has nothing to do with anniversaries. Last year, I think I got him one with Buddhist monks riding a rollercoaster.

Posted by: Jason D | Aug 21, 2008 2:56:52 PM

and the first call for a boycott has begun...

Posted by: Alonzo | Aug 21, 2008 3:17:40 PM

So what was the 2006 card with "queer" as the punchline?

Posted by: Chris | Aug 21, 2008 5:18:44 PM

Well I just read LaBarbera's post and he's urging people to call and complain. I'm going to do quite the opposite and call to give kudos.

I still wish I could find some nice boyfriend-to-boyfriend birthday cards or anniversary cards in the regular old card store, but this is a great start.

Posted by: Mike C | Aug 21, 2008 7:07:54 PM