RECENT  POSTS:  » GLAAD: Are some anti-LGBT activists missing a self-awareness gene? » FRC faults Dems for broken, obstructionist Congress while advocating for broken, obstructionist Congress » FRC senior staffer: 'Ex-Gays: The Best Kept Secret in Your Child’s School' » Video: In inclusive ad, AZ Sec. of State hopeful makes discrimination his rival » That discriminatory OR baker is really overthinking reason why she's national news » Robert Oscar Lopez confirms belief that gay parents are like slave owners » Video: Values Voter Summit marriage panel was particularly boring, bad, ineffective this year » Conservative Catholic professor: Gay activists like segregationists in 'single-minded heedlessness' » Stop claiming Biden, Obama, Clinton, et al. supported marriage amendments—they did not. » Audio: Peter LaBarbera attempts to deny 'hate' by repeating his extremely hateful quote

08/15/2008

A Hamm slice that won't even conflict with your Shabbat dinner

Picture 11-88In the latest issue of The Advocate, "Mad Men" star Jon Hamm gives a refreshing gay-positive interview. Because it's Friday afternoon and we could all surely use a break from the serious (and because this writer is kind of obsessed with "Mad Men"), here's a brief snippet for your reading pleasure:

With 0 being exclusively straight and 6 exclusively gay, where does Don fall on the Kinsey scale?

Well, I don’t think anybody’s a pure 0. He’s a heterosexual man, but I think sexuality runs along a continuum. The big thing now is the man crush -- I love this new phrase, which tries to butch up the idea as much as possible. But guys like guys all the time. They don’t necessarily want to have sex with them, but they have relationships with male friends. No one’s a 0 and no one’s a 6; I’m pretty sure of that.

Go read the full thing at The Advocate's site. And please, for the love of Peggy, tune into this show!! We want to see it to run at least until the time when the Sterling-Cooper boys are trying to come up with creative ways to market New Coke and Jane Fonda workout vids!

Big Gay Following: Jon Hamm [Advocate]

**Headline note: For those unfamiliar with Shabbat.

I'm a 6, most definitely. Breasts are like kryptonite to me---but thanks for the interview.

Posted by: Jason D | Aug 15, 2008 6:11:41 PM

LOL Well I'm a big zero in this regard, a raging heterosexual, I have to admit. Breasts are the stuff that dreams are made of, as playful as frolicking lambs, as the Book of Solomon suggests.

Posted by: Bill Ware | Aug 16, 2008 11:40:33 AM

"I support equal rights for gays and straights alike, and I would be honored to participate in a wedding for my gay friends. Yet when the time comes that "you may kiss", you may find me looking down fumbling with my cell phone. My discomfort is some kind of primitive limbic system response, no doubt, yet real non-the-less."

My brother, a good sport like you, has the same reaction. He's very embarassed by his reaction to seeing men kiss, too. Since he supports me completely despite this little "ick factor", I've given him a pass. I have much the same response when I see straight couples make out on tv and in movies.

"The love we share with our spouse has physical, emotional, cognitive, and yes, spiritual components. To gain support from the majority heterosexual community, it's important to emphasize the last three, and not stir up negative limbic system responses by placing too much emphasis on the first."

Trouble is, Bill, a lot of people don't acknowledge that the last 3 exist, even with evidence to the contrary. Some might give us a little slack on the emotional -- but to them, we're just "close friends". To them, love cannot exist unless tab A fits into slot B. Two slots, Two tabs, that just doesn't add up to love in their book. How do we reach them?

"Pride parades would do best by featuring gay couples and their children, families we all can relate to, and not so much the boyz in chaps who literally bring up the rear."

But that's not all we are, Bill. Gotta take the good with the bad. I'm not suggesting anyone is the bad, by the way, it's just an expression. The whole point of Pride is that we are, in fact, Proud of who we are, as individuals and as a group. To push the drag queens, the leather daddies, the circuit bois off the runway and replace them with the more "pleasing" members is to undermine the whole concept. The Pride Parade is "here we are, warts and all." The Media, unfortunately, delights in shock and scandal, so several hundred "ordinary" looking gays can walk by their cameras, but the only footage making it to the 10-second spot on the six o'clock news is the 3 drag queens and the leather daddy. If we got rid of them, they'd just fine some feminine men or masculine women in the crowd, if we got rid of them...well, I doubt anyone, including the media would show up at all.

Posted by: Jason D | Aug 16, 2008 2:04:42 PM

Bill Ware, I love ya man! You have a very enlightened sensibility about you. And, I am right there with you. I would have a lot fewer problems with straight couples if they wouldn't flaunt their sexuality around me. I really find the kissing, hand-holding and hugging . . . eeeeewwww! And, I realize that it is just a personal problem that I have, because there is absolutely nothing wrong with displays of affection, but straight sexuality really creeps me out.

I know a really large guy, he probably weighs something north of 350 pounds, and he probably isn't over 5' 10" max. And, he's a great guy. He's funny, considerate, very bright, highly knowledgeable, well respected and straight. I saw him with his wife once, and I can't believe that he has even a single pound advantage over her. And I love this guy, he is a great friend.

BUT, I saw him kiss his wife that one time when I saw the two of them together. That, coupled with the knowledge that the two of them poot-out another new kid just about every year, just about turns my stomach. Maybe it isn't that they are straight, or that they are "gettin' some," but more the fact that they are (how does one say this delicately) carrying a few too many pounds.

And, the only reason that I mention them, is that all of the straight friends that I have in common with him also experience the same (perhaps even more exaggerated) "ick" when thinking about the subject. I do have to admit that I have experienced similar guttural responses when seeing some gay couples. I think that most of us would be somewhat less than honest with ourselves if we said that we didn't.

But the fact of the matter is that what they do (icky as it may seem to us) makes them happy, and fulfilled as human beings. And, when I think of it that way, the tapas and margaritas from earlier settle back down, and I have to feel good for them, and glad that they are happy - even if I can't get that kiss out of my head.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Aug 16, 2008 11:19:29 PM

I do not believe this

Posted by: fornetti | Sep 1, 2008 1:20:50 PM

What don't you believe, fornetti?

Posted by: G-A-Y | Sep 1, 2008 1:37:29 PM