RECENT  POSTS:  » 'WaPo' conservative columnist: 'Strident' marriage equality opponents have lost » If John Eastman's allowed to intervene in Oregon, I submit his endorsement of this very anti-gay book » I apparently can fly; cool, I've always wanted to! » Starving selves to stop others' happiness: Virginia edition » NOM-aligned organization claims God will soon punish us for pro-equality rulings » GLAAD: The rise of toxic terminology: Losing anti-LGBT movement turns to corrosive labeling » Founder of anti-gay Boy Scouts alternative links sexual orientation, adultery; earns merit badge in ill-intended comparisons » 'Playbill' to let the two previously unaware playgoers in on Broadway's love for gays » New record: Anti-gay activist Ralph Reed contradicts self in less than minute » Read: NOM's guide to pressuring lawmakers to ban marriages (while pretending you're doing something good and positive instead)

08/18/2008

Video: A civilian's civil-igion marriage view

::sigh::

Obama @ Saddleback Church -Defines Marriage [YouTube]

**Headline note: Civil-igion: The marriage of civil concepts with personal religion, creating a situation that muddies what this debate is truly all about.

I knew he was going to piss me off, I figured I would wait till today to review the "forum" so I wouldn’t ruin my weekend, and I am glad I did. When will a person of courage run for president?

Posted by: Randy | Aug 18, 2008 8:59:05 AM

Yeah, this was disappointing even though I knew he wasn't going to say same sex marriage is a-ok with him.

Posted by: johnozed | Aug 18, 2008 9:27:27 AM

John: Well no, no Democrat is going to say that. But what has always annoyed me about Obama's stance on this, as opposed to some other Dems, is that he's always quite into the religion thing. He's all for handing the word "marriage" over to the churches and whatnot. I find that particularly dangerous, as I think the muddied waters between civil marriage and religion ceremony are what continue to twist this debate in unfair ways.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Aug 18, 2008 9:42:00 AM

I agree that it almost seems as though Obama doesn't get that the marriage argument going on is about civil marriage not the religious institution. The religious folks that he's catering to dont get this distinction either. And McCain...well lets not even go there

Posted by: Ron | Aug 18, 2008 11:40:29 AM

And I thought he went to LAW SCHOOL!!! What do they teach there nowadays!

Posted by: LOrion | Aug 18, 2008 12:29:25 PM

Of course, we will all vote for Obama. What choice do we have? But he will never have my respect. Watching him pander to the bigots at that mega-church made me want to spit up.

Posted by: Myroro | Aug 18, 2008 2:29:48 PM

I think that Obama is simply trying to counter the ridiculous claims that constantly come from the right. I really thing that once elected he will be a better friend of the gay community, but right now he has to fend off accusations that he's a 'God hating Muslim' and worse. By saying things like this in a church he diffuses some of the stupid things that get said about him without turning to political attacks like his opponent has. And all he has to do is throw a group that would never vote for McCain to the wolfs. Makes perfect political sense.

Posted by: Kearne | Aug 18, 2008 8:52:31 PM