RECENT  POSTS:  » NOM spends six figures on North Carolina's Hagan/Tillis US Senate race » Idaho wedding venue can be discriminatory so long as it sticks to new business model » Sunday in Houston: Activists mad that churches were noted for their politicization head to a church—to politicize » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists'

11/11/2008

Audio: Sig & Nancy

Sig MugMichelangelo Signorile is a gem of the activist community, standing firm against any and everyone who fights for a non-inclusive world. Yesterday, it was Nancy from Amarillo, TX, who dared to enter Signorile's Sirius radio ring. Decide for yourself who came out sounding better:

A Mormon "Yes on 8" Supporter Calls In [Signorile]

**Other bloggers have identified the caller as Nancy Ormson, manager of Amarillo's Orson Hearing Health Care. If this is her, then she gave a whopping 5,000 smackers towards the equality smackdown!

Wow. She said she would be okay with the majority saying she had to go to the gas chamber for her religious beliefs. I can't think of a word to described how f**ked up that is.

Posted by: WadeMD | Nov 11, 2008 11:33:49 AM

Wow. Michelangelo totally won that argument. I applaud his knowledge and his wit. He didn't let Nancy off the hook at all, even when she tried to change the subject.

OVERTURN PROP 8!

Posted by: Sam | Nov 11, 2008 11:36:24 AM

I'm from Amarillo, and this woman does not speak for me! Although I may know her, I'm not sure. In Amarillo we have been fighting this for a long time. She angers me by saying what she says.

ARRGG I don't know what I'll do if I run into this woman when I go home for Christmas this year. I have my beliefs, but does that mean that she has to abide by them.

I'm Lutheran does that mean that I should be able to make others eat Lutefisk!?

Posted by: Piper | Nov 11, 2008 12:17:57 PM

Never mind blind faith... Nancy is suffering for deaf faith!

Posted by: GT | Nov 11, 2008 1:49:45 PM

So, that woman bitches about being "persecuted" by the majority because of her religion. She then is confronted with the fact that she's using her religion to persecute others and she says that the majority has the right. And later, according to her duplicity, she says that the majority even has the right to persecute her. She bitches about being persecuted by the majority, but praises the majority for persecuting those that she also hates.

And the really scary thing is that she doesn't realize the disconnect. Or, as the cynical side of me believes, she does see the disconnect, and is purposefully lying about it, because the ends justify the means. And, the reason that there is a cynical side of me is that people like her are too quick to contradict themselves in order to make their point.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Nov 11, 2008 1:52:39 PM

The stupid... it burns...

Another shining example of what religion does to someone's critical thinking processes.

Posted by: aaa | Nov 11, 2008 2:22:30 PM

Just once I'd like to hear about a wingnut with a sense of irony, or just sense in general.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Nov 11, 2008 3:15:31 PM

show her

Posted by: Change | Nov 11, 2008 5:02:03 PM

how bout giving nancy a little call...

Posted by: needforchange | Nov 11, 2008 5:04:21 PM

Ugh, Nancy makes me want to get violent. Yuck! A terrible cycle she promotes. Being an idiotic dumbass.

Posted by: Jocelyn | Nov 11, 2008 11:17:25 PM

As an Amarilloan (don't go around calling myself this, so I don't know how they would want me to put it) I can say that Amarillo residents are pretty fair on the whole, but they are like a herd of buffalo with their own. you go after her, even those who don't care are going to rally. And Amarillo is just the kind of city that is starting to open up! We have a symphony, two theaters, an opera company, and an art museum. Those progressives there are working sooo hard to make this place better, to change the hearts of these people, but they are ranchers at heart, not easy to change.

Please, for the sanity of my family, and my progressive friends still back there, don't throw it all away by scaring this woman. I know her type, she responds to openness and respect, not anger. Texans only respond to anger by getting right back in your face, full throttle.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, I am just really scared. As a liberal/Progressive Texan, we have to argue against our own people, while still defending those people (in their backwards sad little ways) If you want to understand us read any Molly Ivins, she really explains what a liberal Texan is.

Posted by: Piper | Nov 12, 2008 2:08:21 AM

Ormson, Nancy
Job title: Office Manager
Company: Hearing Health Care Practice
1600 S Coulter St
Amarillo, TX 79106-1710
(806) 468-4343

Posted by: Believe | Nov 12, 2008 3:47:49 AM

I think you should remove that personal info -- so not cool.

Posted by: TikiHead | Nov 12, 2008 3:58:57 PM

TikiHead: The information that "Believe" posted is not personal information -- it is information that is readily available via a simple Google search. It is information that seems to have been placed online by the company.

We here at G-A-Y are not in the business of censoring comments unless there is a true offense. This does not qualify.

That being said, it should be noted that there is no definite confirmation that the person who spoke to Michelangelo IS Ms. Ormson. All we know is that a Nancy Ormson from Amarillo gave 5k.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 12, 2008 4:24:18 PM

"Millions of Americans live in a non-reality-based belief system informed by childish clichés - they can barely differentiate between lies and truth." Chris Hedges, Truthdig

I was raised in the Mormon church. Nancy's ability to understand ideas is so much like some of my relatives and many other members. Scarey isn't it.

Other than her inability to think, she does not understand that everything she believes is an accident of the time and place she was born.

I actually feel worse for her than I do for gay people. They have the ability to fight for their rights. She does not.

Posted by: Lynn | Nov 17, 2008 12:32:08 AM