RECENT  POSTS:  » Video: 'PBS NewsHour' shows stark, cruel stakes of marriage fight; entitlement of opponents » FRC launches new site: 'Freedom' to discriminate against LGBT people, so long as you say 'my religion' » Own worst enemies: Anti-gay activists make opening statements on SCOTUS steps » Video: Media outlet that primarily backs anti-equality Republicans faults pro-equality Democrat for listening, learning, growing » Video: Scenes from the self-defeating extremist parade that was NOM's #March4Marriage » Video: Equality versus NOM #march4marriage supporter who thinks we're 'so unnatural' » Own worst enemies: Anti-equality movement shows true animus on steps of Supreme Court » Video: America is ready for the freedom to marry » READ: Very anti-gay crew vows to never recognize civil marriage equality (even though they so will or face penalties) » NOM #March4Marriage coalition partner, religious liaison: 'Homosexuality is behavior and choice...immoral'

11/19/2008

eHarmony: Better late? Or should gays still say never?

Picture 21-26As settlement in a discrimination lawsuit, the eHarmony dating site (founded by Focus on the Family friend Neil Clark Warren) has announced that they will next year open their services up to same-sex couples:

eHarmony settles with N.J. over same-sex matches [Inquirer]

So congrats, gays and lesbians: Due to court action, the company will feet-draggingly allow you to use their services. It's kind of like the online matchmaking equivalent of a mother who will reluctantly allow her child to bring their same-sex partner to Thanksgiving dinner, but insists that only the term "roommate" be used.

eMatchmake at your own discretion.

I'm betting their services for us won't be nearly as good as for the straight couples.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Nov 19, 2008 12:24:19 PM

Unbelievable. This is gonna come back to bite us in the ass. There's plenty of matchmaking services already, couldn't we have just left eHarmony alone? I mean fuck, straight people aren't gonna sue manhunt for not putting up heterosexual ads.

Not like their bible-based way of partnering up people is gonna be any good or accurate for LGBT couples. How many queers are actually gonna use this service anyway? Seems. So. Pointless.

Posted by: chris | Nov 19, 2008 12:26:21 PM

They didn't want us from the beginning, why should we use their service now? There are so many dating websites that welcome GAY since they started.

Posted by: Sean | Nov 19, 2008 12:50:02 PM

I agree, this was such a foolish and counterproductive lawsuit.

If this had been a government department, or a service like the gas company, I could see the point.

I did start a profile at eHarmony years ago, and I was very annoyed that they didn't tell me until after I'd filled out their lengthy survey that they don't do gay. But I didn't feel like my rights were violated. I felt like my time was wasted by morons who would have a lot of trouble competing in a market where everyone does matching for gays.

We really need to let people know that the "principal" may matter, but we have to chose our battles carefully in this "Culture War".

This is not a win for our side.

It's a victor for Wingnuts who need more examples of the "Homosexual Agenda".

Posted by: Jason D | Nov 19, 2008 1:37:38 PM

Bullseye! This is a breaking headline at WorldFailDaily. Somebody send this idiot from New Jersey a congratulation letter laced with spit pls.

Posted by: chris | Nov 19, 2008 4:57:40 PM

"Compatible Partners"... how romantic. But yeah, this seems like it was an unnecessary lawsuit to begin with.

Posted by: ZJ | Nov 19, 2008 7:40:10 PM

There are hundreds of gay dating sites that do not have options for straight people. I really think that this one wasn't necessary.

Posted by: | Nov 19, 2008 11:22:48 PM

Oh wow.

I never knew Neil Clark Warren was a FOF.

That explains why he creeps me out so bad...

Huh. This suit wasn't entirely useless. In principal, it did a good thing. Maybe those "pro-family" types will start to get the message?

... Then again, maybe not.

Posted by: m-no | Nov 20, 2008 12:07:05 AM

To me, this was kind of pointless - there's plenty of dating services out there, and if one of them wants to discriminate, let them.

Why would any gay person in their right mind give this business money NOW? LOL

What's next? Is some gay person going to complain that an Aryan store doesn't want gay people throwing their money at them?

Posted by: Scott | Nov 20, 2008 10:41:42 AM