RECENT  POSTS:  » Miami-Dade Circuit judge rules state marriage ban unconstitutional; stays ruling » Video: With marriage equality, Texas could put in a pool at the Alamo » CWA ably demonstrates ludicrousness of American Christian right's persecution complex » Video: CBS News hosts '50 Years Later, Civil Rights;' includes marriage equality, obviously » Audio: White House? Nah. But in race for most anti-gay House member, Bachmann a strong contender » Brian Brown is the victim, y'all. How many times does he have to tell you? » Congrats, gay activists—Bryan Fischer has found new group for his weekly 'Nazi' branding » Maggie Gallagher: Sexual orientation is 'more akin to religion' than to race » NOM is totally popular (*in Ethiopia) » What constitutes 'absolute pure evil' in the eyes of Liberty University dean?

11/04/2008

We (and the unforgiving history books) shall see

200811041656

Also: Arkansas has passed its bigoted adoption ban.

::sigh:: It would be nice to be able to enjoy this sweet night without this inescapably personal bitterness!

**UPDATE, 1AM ET: In California, the "yes" side is beating us 54%-46% with 22% reporting.  However, the big cities always take longer to count.  Keep the faith!

CA Results, as they come in [SF Chron]

1:30 ET: It's still going against us, 52.8%-47.2% (with 29% reporting).  A long night ahead.

If you want to track by county, check out this handy LA Times map: Results [LA Times]

3:00AM ET:  50% of precincts have reported and the CA numbers are virtually unchanged.  We go up a bit, then down a bit, and so on and so forth.

So on this note, your humble scribe is going to bed.  I remain hopeful that I will be able to fill in the above chart with at least one pro-gay win on this otherwise progressive night, but we'll have to wait and see.

7:00AM ET: OMFG, I'm glad I went to sleep.  This thing has still not been called!

Currently, 90% of precincts have reported, and the fight stands at 51.8%(the cruel side) to 48.2% (the side that is desperately trying to hold on to their equality).  It's too close to call.

But you know what? Even the fact that it is this close in CA is already a bit of a loss. A real buzzkill for gay folks.

1PM ET: It's now official: For shame [G-A-Y]

FINGERS CROSSED! I want a sweep.

Posted by: | Nov 4, 2008 6:15:22 PM

Pray. Just pray. For those of us who voted, thats all we can do now.

Posted by: Rainbow Phoenix | Nov 4, 2008 7:59:14 PM

From VoteNoOn2 blog

The NOs Are Creeping UP!
Gang,

Hold onto your towels, the game is not yet over! The number of NO votes coming in are growing, slowly by steadily. We're still in the race.

YES- 3,877,926 (62.7%)
NO- 2,307,529 (37.3%)

Tobias
Posted by Vote No On 2 at 10:06 PM 0 comments

----

Not looking good so far :(!!! I wish I had done more.

Posted by: | Nov 4, 2008 10:53:16 PM

Looks like FL is a lost cause. Damn.

Posted by: | Nov 4, 2008 11:42:45 PM

Things aren't looking to hot in California either. Although they haven't gotten the results in yet for most of the state, so it's too soon to lose hope.

I'ts going to be a LONG night.

Posted by: Rainbow Phoenix | Nov 5, 2008 12:23:55 AM

We win some (big) and we lose some (really big). Cry tonight, fight on tomorrow. History is on our side, sisters and brothers. We will get there.

Jeremy, I look forward to toasting you here in your home state after our newly Democratic Senate approves gay marriage and it is signed into law by Gov. Patterson.

Posted by: sykler | Nov 5, 2008 12:30:49 AM

Yeah, it doesn't look good here in CA. Sorry Jeremy. But I'll be waiting up til the bitter end just to make sure. Ugh.

Posted by: znsd | Nov 5, 2008 12:37:01 AM

Wish I could have voted against this one. I'll be keeping watch with y'all and hoping...

Jeremy, you're welcome here in Massachusetts - we'll keep the date open for you.

Posted by: Cami | Nov 5, 2008 1:03:32 AM

Seeing these terrible results has inspired me to take a much more active approach. I've been staying aware of gay-related issues, speaking up to friends and family, volunteering a gay community center... and other than that, not much.

I really want to get out there now, make a difference.

Posted by: | Nov 5, 2008 1:09:42 AM

*Sigh* California, I'm so disappointed in you. . .

At least the margin was close? Kind of? =/ I don't doubt this won't be challenged, but I have to wonder about what would have happened if H8 hadn't been peddled with such underhanded ads.

In short: fuck you, bigotry.

Posted by: Alle | Nov 5, 2008 1:15:18 AM

Please come to Massachusetts. I'm so damn torn now between my joy at Obama's victory and my utter sadness at the (apparent) victory of Prop 8. I need to sleep, so I don't think I'll have my final answer until the morning. I'm still holding onto hope, but not as tightly as I was before. My best to you and your fiance.

Posted by: tjc | Nov 5, 2008 1:18:38 AM

Wait. Only 29% of precincts are reporting right now. There's still hope!

It needs over 50% support to win, correct?

Posted by: Ben | Nov 5, 2008 1:32:54 AM

Well, it appears that tomorrow I wake up as a single person again. I hope that I am wrong. Forced to be single by a group of voters, many of them groups that have been discriminated in the past. It is hard to believe.
But luckily Obama is our next president. We can look forward to the passing of the Hate Crime Legislation. We can look forward to the passing of ENDA. We can also look forward to the defeat of Don't Ask, Don't Tell and maybe, just maybe, DOMA. Finally, we can look forward to Obama possibly appointing new Supreme Court justices. Our time will come.

Posted by: Kevin Kaatz | Nov 5, 2008 1:55:26 AM

We need 51% to beat Prop. 8 - there's still a chance!

Posted by: Alonzo | Nov 5, 2008 2:45:14 AM

You know what bothers the hell out of me about this California prop 8 situation? Barack Obama has called our names (gay) on many occasions as a call to equality as citizens with the rest of the country and you would think that African American folks would have thought of that when they went to the polls. I read from exit polls that the majority of African Americans in California are opposed to same sex marriage. What's up with that? What will happen when the rising generation comes up through the ranks and says "to hell with discrimination" will we have a chance to revisit this issue in California and vote again? What will happen?

Posted by: | Nov 5, 2008 4:23:15 AM

At 83% counted we are at YES 51.7% to NO 48.3%

This is going to be so close...

Posted by: GT | Nov 5, 2008 5:20:58 AM

Damn... the worst case scenario :\

I dont live in America,so it doesnt affect me directly but I was hoping that at least a few of them would turn out in our favour.

Now we only need to wait for Barack "I-personally-believe-in-traditional-marriage" Obama to throw us under the bus to send out the message loud and clear that hope and change is only for the straight people out there.

Posted by: Kristof | Nov 5, 2008 5:25:03 AM

Our world may be collapsing in that figurative stance, but at least during Obama's speech last night he mentioned us. Even if he is just a politician with speech writers and artists, it gives me a glimmer of hope in what seems to have become a dark, depressing election for equal rights. I have faith that someday, we too will be able to join in MLK's dream world where are judged by our character and not as some "people we need to tolerate to look cool." Remember where you were this day; to me it's like September 12th, 2001 all over again: our strong belief that we are safe and secure has been rocked to the core.

But, just like then, It's alright -- love will always win out.

Posted by: MidtownFreak | Nov 5, 2008 9:43:44 AM

I think it's important that nobody loses hope or gets depressed over this.

Maybe America isn't quite ready to shed its homophobia yet, but it's not over. With Obama's presidency, this could change. It's something we will win eventually. We're on what is historically the winning side of a civil rights battle.

I mean, at least he mentioned us in his speech, that's gotta be a little glimmer of hope, if anything. And let's not forget that the support for gay marriage is still much much more than it used to be. Awhile ago, we could never hope for even a chance that any state would vote in favor of us, and we got closer than we ever could have hoped before.

I know it doesn't look like it, but we ARE moving forward.

I sincerely think the vote on prop 8 only turned out the way they did because of the countless lies put forth by the prop 8 ads that people believed. If those lies weren't circulated so much, I really think we would have won. The reason we keep losing these battles is because people believe so many misconceptions about us. That's why we need to make it our job to tear down and destroy stereotypes and myths.

Hopefully we'll see lawsuit against prop 8 soon, and that Obama will get to appoint some better judges to the supreme court and overturn the bans in other states as well as California.

Never give up, never abandon the cause or abandon hope. We know we are morally correct on this issue, we are the ones fighting to stop injustice against gay families. We must win and we will, so keep at it, everyone.

Posted by: Nami | Nov 5, 2008 12:59:46 PM

Nami: Much of your optimism is well placed. However, we should allow people to be hurt and depressed over this. It has hit some of us really hard.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 5, 2008 1:16:20 PM

I understand, but I guess what I'm saying is to just not let it impede the movement, stay strong, etc.

Posted by: Nami | Nov 5, 2008 1:26:46 PM