RECENT  POSTS:  » NOM spends six figures on North Carolina's Hagan/Tillis US Senate race » Idaho wedding venue can be discriminatory so long as it sticks to new business model » Sunday in Houston: Activists mad that churches were noted for their politicization head to a church—to politicize » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists'

12/30/2008

My hate mail can beat up your hate mail!

This week, as part of his solicitation of end-of-year donations, Peter LaBarbera has been posting some of the angry emails that he's received from gay people. Well, we at G-A-Y don't want your recession-battered money. But since Pete has put forth this game, we do want to once again demonstrate that virulently anti-gay hate mail is an almost daily occurrence for those of us who take a pro-gay "culture war" stance. Here's one of our latest:

Picture 29-11

And of course unlike LaBarbera and friends, the only thing we've done to earn our mail is to voice the "radical" idea that LGBT people are human beings deserving of respect and inclusion. The only thing we've done to deserve these slurs is stand in firm opposition to the same.

For Pete, laying bare his Inbox's dirtiest missives might be a convenient fundraising ploy. For us, however, these messages (which we usually keep quiet) are a constant reminder that by merely waking up every morning, we are under some degree of danger, be it towards our physical existences or civil liberties. That difference shows the consequential chasm that divides our two movements.

**UPDATE: Oh, and we guarantee that our messages are more absurd. We frequently get logic like this:

Picture 30-12

Jeremy,

These people have NO IDEA - God made us as he did them - what they are saying is He/She made a mistake! They say we made a choice. I hate to tell these people but I was attracted to my same sex (I didn't know what it was, of course)when I was around 4 years old - when I think of THEM together - penis/vagina it grosses me out (like they feel about us) - that's the way God made me and when they go home to God (if he accepts intolerant people) they'll find out how WRONG they have been and are being! Have they ever thought about when THEY made their choice to be heterosexual?

Posted by: tom | Dec 30, 2008 4:32:28 PM

If I've understood the logic of that second person, it's okay for men to be OBSESSED with a woman's genitalia and for a woman to be OBSESSED with a man's genitalia.
That's...rather odd.

Posted by: Bill S | Dec 30, 2008 5:04:18 PM

Fags and lesbians? I would have expected "fags and dykes." Oh well, we all no how stupid these people are.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Dec 30, 2008 5:49:36 PM

And I thought their God wanted us to love ourselves before we love others. Well, that includes genitalia...folks.
Hope you go a new shovel for the holidays JH...to get rid of the garbage.

Posted by: LOrion | Dec 30, 2008 7:44:36 PM

Lol! What the fuck is a "spiritual disorder"? Is that the cultists' new & improved term for "demonic possession"?

Posted by: TheRadicalRealist | Dec 30, 2008 9:21:48 PM

A spritual disorder? Oh you'll have to see a specialist on that one. I think the conversation would go a little something like this:

"I told the witch doctor I was in love with you!
And then the witch doctor, he told me what to do
He said that "Ooh Ee Ooh Ah Ah, Ting Tang, Walla Walla Bing Bang!"
Ooh Ee Ooh Ah Ah, Ting Tang, Walla Walla Bing Bang?"

Posted by: Daimeon | Dec 30, 2008 11:07:29 PM

You have amused me Daimeon. :)

Posted by: Bill S | Dec 31, 2008 7:03:55 AM

Your second letter is too funny! I have to go now. I'm obsessed with another man's genitalia (something that I too also possess).

Posted by: KZ | Dec 31, 2008 8:57:40 AM

What's always hilarious to me is how they write as if they have MAYBE graduated the fourth grade (not just typos, but repeated mispellings/misuse of words like "your" instead of "you're", repeated punctuation/capitalization errors, and egregious grammatical errors with sentence structures that would make Sarah Palin proud) yet they expect you to take them and the point that they're trying to make serioiusly.

If you were going to go to the trouble to put your thoughts into words and write them down to try and convince someone that your argument is the right one, that you have thought this issue out logically and that everyone should come around to your point of view, wouldn't you want to at least SOUND like you're intelligent enough to know what you're talking about?

Evidently not. I guess when you firmly believe that God is on your side, a coherent sentence is an unimportant detail.

Posted by: JWSwift | Dec 31, 2008 10:42:05 AM

What is it with them and caps-lock? Anybody who feels the need to constantly scream to get their message across obviously has a weak message and/or issues dealing with dissenting opinions.

Posted by: Buffy | Dec 31, 2008 6:00:53 PM

That second email seemed oddly familiar to me. Then, I remembered the same garbage message posted verbatim over on a few "gay" youtube videos. This person must be a bit "obsessed" themselves, if you know what I mean...

Posted by: Andros | Dec 31, 2008 11:36:44 PM

"Or is his point that homosexuality is abnormal because it's an attraction to someone with a body part they already have? Because that's even odder-by that logic, nobody should be interested in looking at another person's face."

IMO, this is one of those phrasings that tells you more about the writer than the subject. Apparently this guy has the same attitude toward sex and sexual relationships he accuses gay people of having; i.e., limiting it to physical sensations and body parts.

In other words, an attitude toward sex that's essentially profane, however aggressively the writer might trumpet his church affiliation.

Posted by: Bobs Friend | Jan 1, 2009 12:27:03 PM