RECENT  POSTS:  » Video: Mike Huckabee, Republican candidate for increased book sells, vows to defy pro-equality SCOTUS ruling » Reliably tacky NOM turns Memorial Day into day of anti-gay politicking » Ireland: Not only a practical win, but also another tremendous psychological shift » Hillary Clinton campaign honors Harvey Milk, LGBTQ rights » You don't have to pounce on every less-than-pro-gay retailer, anti-gay conservatives! » Video: Tony Perkins tells pastors they 'may have five years' before being 'dragged kicking and screaming from your church' » What to even say about Josh Duggar? » GOP prez candidates lining up for NOM-sponsored event in Iowa » Video: Ted Cruz tells viciously anti-gay Family Research Council he's got their back on anti-gay discrimination » Scouts prez seeks long overdue end to offensive stigma

01/21/2009

Praying that this movie will save future Bobbys

First, watch these two clips:

Now listen to this report from Focus on the Family:

Audio source [FOF]

Will let you judge for yourself who you side with: A mother who has lived with the anguish of knowing her attempts to "de-gay" her son contributed to his suicide, or a movement who is even more aggressively pushing those "ex-gay" programs now than they were back in Bobby's day. Here's just hoping that if you are a mother of a gay child, you will make the right decision and make it ASAP.

**EARLIER: Your 'prayers for Bobby' have done quite enough, FOF! [G-A-Y]

**UPDATE, 1/27: Watch the telefilm, in full: Video: His life was abridged, his tale is here in full [G-A-Y]

Truth hurts. That's why they keep spewing this whale shit. They don't want to think about the people in their own families that they're hurting.

As important as this movie is, I couldn't bring myself to watch it. It would just remind me of how close I came to doing what Bobby did, and that's not something I want to remember.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Jan 21, 2009 6:34:18 PM

I have a real problem with their continuing the lie that the movie only tells half of the story. It tells Mary Griffith's story. It was hers to tell, her agony, her truths.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Jan 21, 2009 7:48:38 PM

It is ASTOUNDING, Sammy. Not only is the movie based on her tale, but her tale was shaped by Bobby's journal, which he kept for the past few years of his life. So it is very much the informed story of this particular family.

In matters like this, they should prob. just say nothing at all. At the very least, they should defend their programs DESPITE the verifiable damages that they have caused, not act as if they hold the cure to such ills!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jan 21, 2009 7:57:19 PM

I'll say it again: the worst sin a parent can commit is to not accept their child as he/she is.

If they can't deal, parents are the ones who need to change. Period.

I'm glad this story is being told, but I don't think I could actually watch it, either. I've talked to too many people like the "before" Mary Griffith. I'm glad for the transformation she's made and the courage she's shown since, but what a terrible price to pay.

Posted by: Bonnie_Half-Elven | Jan 21, 2009 11:06:46 PM

The scariest thing about the focus on the family message... is that it is so professionally produced, so non-emotional, so "journalistic-feeling"... that people will think it's news instead of pure, damning rhetoric.

No one knows better how to play for the camera than those people. They're a scary bunch.

And what about that woman they interviewed? Unreal.

The bible says eating shellfish is an abomination. Let's see them picket Red Lobster. www.godhatesshrimp.com (it's a well done parody).

Sigh... so many smart, progressive people... and still so many idiots.

Posted by: Patrick | Jan 22, 2009 8:44:00 AM

That FoF clip annoys the hell out of me. I have no conflict because of my homosexuality. I was born this way and there was no choice in the matter.

Posted by: Tony P | Jan 22, 2009 1:31:36 PM