The CA donor fight: What's really going on here?
Yesterday we briefly told you that a federal judge has denied Prop 8 supporters in their bid to withhold disclosing anymore names and addresses of donors who gave money to pass the discriminatory measure:
But what does this legal mumbo jumbo mean to you in practical terms? Well, it means that on Monday, an additional 1,600 names of people who have contributed $100 to $999 since October 18, 2008, will be unveiled for all the world to see. And you know, considering the fervency with which the Prop 8ers have fought to keep this post-election list under wraps, we have to wonder: Are there some explosive names that are about to be unveiled?
Why do we ask this? Well, because we have seen these kids fight for every little thing, with the biggest enchilada, obviously, being the "right" to use their majority tyranny to deny us of marriage equality. However, in many ways, this donor roll fight has been their most heated. Despite the odds being so stacked against them, they've rolled out all the stops on this effort. They have cried "victim" at the loudest of decibel levels. They've made it sound as if Prop supporters are living like Anne Frank in order to avoid harassment, with them even going so far as to play the disingenuous "death threat" card. And now, despite yesterday's loss, they've put out an exhaustive new document that basically begs for some sort of last minute reprieve:
Now, it could be that they just want to heighten their "victim" claims in order to help their chances this spring. However, there are far less risky ways for them to do this than to go to court on these disclosure laws, a fight that we'd imagine even conservative lawyers saw as having little chance of success. And in fact, this legal setback seems to help our side, which has protested Prop 8 in the millions in ways that are thoroughly peaceful, debunk the far-right's attempts at martyrdom.
So again, we have to wonder: Why, with so much at stake later this year when Prop 8 itself is challenged in court, why are they risking so much capital and so much potential face-egg on this particular fight? Why THESE donors? What is on this new list?! Who gave blindly to this hateful initiative, never realizing that the public has a right to have a glimpse?
Thanks to still-intact disclosure laws, we shall see on Monday.
Think someone initials RW could be on list?
Posted by: LOrion | Jan 30, 2009 11:39:13 AM
I read that of the 9 incidents of "harassment" that the haters have listed as evidence to support their request for anonymity, only 1 (ONE) of the "victims" of said "harassment" donated money to the campaign.
Posted by: Dick Mills | Jan 30, 2009 1:10:46 PMcomments powered by Disqus