RECENT  POSTS:  » Watch live at 11:30 ET: NOM's hilariously out of touch (and likely final) #March4Marriage » READ: Very anti-gay crew vows to never recognize civil marriage equality (even though they so will or face penalties) » NOM #March4Marriage coalition partner, religious liaison: 'Homosexuality is behavior and choice...immoral' » Mike Huckabee blatantly lies about something no civil marriage activist is seeking » Video: Man who once called for ban on gay teachers promotes #March4Marriage; because of course he does » FRC Senior Fellow: We are prepared to 'give our lives' to fight same-sex marriage (i.e. 'our eternal destruction') » Questions 'Face The Nation' should ask Tony Perkins (but likely won't, sadly) » Gorgeous clip from PFLAG Canada recognizes the many marriage memories that never were » On marriage, FRC prays SCOTUS will 'rule in the fear of the Lord' » AFA's new desperation: Marriage equality will turn bible into 'Mein Kampf'

02/27/2009

Comic(is a)Con: Unearthing 1986's greatest waste of paper

This writer, more of a TV fan than a graphic novel junkie, once bought a comic book on Ebay wherein Spiderman joined forces with the original cast of "Saturday Night live."  I kid you not.  I can't remember the plot, but I know that Peter Parker, in his Spidey mask, and Jane Curtin, in her Conehead costume, were involved in some sort of crime-fighting at 30 Rock's legendary Studio 8H.  Belushi, Aykroyd, Radner -- they were all on hand for a nonsensical marriage of Stan Lee and Lorne Michaels.

But as absurd as our one real venture into comicdom might have beenn, Alvin McEwen has dug up a 20+ year old comic that makes our Spidey-SNL one look like nonfiction in comparison.  Go have a look:

Something guaranteed to piss you off [HB&HM]

Don't get any ideas, Hollywood.  Iron Man, Batman, and the Watchmen we can handle.  But Captian Homophobe would be more of a misstep than even Halle Berry's Catwoman.

This picture on the Holybullies site made me laugh.
Bev LaHaye and CWA didn't change much.

Posted by: Kamikapse | Feb 27, 2009 11:46:05 AM

Thanks for featuring this, Jeremy.

Nowadays, people can't seem to understand how prevalent stuff like this was back then.

Posted by: a. mcewen | Feb 27, 2009 11:52:17 AM

Thanks for posting it, Alvin.

The CWA quip, Kamikapse, is also interesting in terms of the evolution of this fight and our own community's victories. Although CWA is obviously still horrible in terms of gay rights, there is no way they would lend their name to this comic if reprinted today. Not that they wouldn't want to, mind -- they are just smarter than that politically.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Feb 27, 2009 12:02:45 PM

I can't believe I read the whole damned thing. Part II as well.

Posted by: Jamie | Feb 27, 2009 12:41:55 PM

Yeah... that's what makes groups like CWA so annoying and dangerous.
They're diplomatic, smart and two-faced.

At least the Phelps clan puts their world-view out in the open.

Posted by: Kamikapse | Feb 27, 2009 1:36:15 PM

I feel so cheated - I’m a relatively good looking guy and I've never had as much sex as these people think that we do. Plus how do these people think we’re able to complete our "agenda" if we're always having sex. Twisted!

Posted by: Alonzo | Feb 27, 2009 2:10:00 PM

Another Jack Chick?

At least Hafer is dead now, I checked.

Posted by: anon | Feb 27, 2009 5:57:01 PM

. . . Did anyone else read Dick Hafer as Dick Hater?

. . . Ok, yeah. Definatly making a comic about the dangers of being on the anti-gay side.

If any of you have ideas for what to put in it, feel free to mail me.

Posted by: Clicky the Fox | Feb 27, 2009 6:47:32 PM

Posted by: Acai | Feb 28, 2009 4:52:47 AM

As a diehard comic book evangelist, I feel compelled to mention two essential gay-positive graphic novels: the classic "Stuck Rubber Baby" by Howard Cruse and "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic" by "Dykes to Watch Out For" creator Alison Bechdel.

Posted by: Derek in DC | Feb 28, 2009 5:19:18 PM