RECENT  POSTS:  » Add 'professional advocate for anti-gay scouting' to list of bygone career choices » NOM to lasso the White House with a rosary. Or something. » NOM's new plan? To beat up its org-crushing loss until it becomes a win. » By the time you read this headline, we'll be ten more seconds beyond stagnant anti-gay 'culture wars' » Video: America cannot wait—to purchase American Family Association radio equipment? Huh?! » Huckabee 2016: 'cause church and state aint gonna marry themselves » EEOC does wonky, under-radar thing that could lay groundwork for definitive nondiscrimination protections » Maggie Gallagher, now that you've lost on marriage, might you lose these deceptive ways as well? » Crowdfunding discriminatory business owners: Perfect statement on anti-gay movement's current affairs » The religious anti-gay crowd: They never understood the marriage fight; now they don't understand their loss

02/27/2009

Comic(is a)Con: Unearthing 1986's greatest waste of paper

This writer, more of a TV fan than a graphic novel junkie, once bought a comic book on Ebay wherein Spiderman joined forces with the original cast of "Saturday Night live."  I kid you not.  I can't remember the plot, but I know that Peter Parker, in his Spidey mask, and Jane Curtin, in her Conehead costume, were involved in some sort of crime-fighting at 30 Rock's legendary Studio 8H.  Belushi, Aykroyd, Radner -- they were all on hand for a nonsensical marriage of Stan Lee and Lorne Michaels.

But as absurd as our one real venture into comicdom might have beenn, Alvin McEwen has dug up a 20+ year old comic that makes our Spidey-SNL one look like nonfiction in comparison.  Go have a look:

Something guaranteed to piss you off [HB&HM]

Don't get any ideas, Hollywood.  Iron Man, Batman, and the Watchmen we can handle.  But Captian Homophobe would be more of a misstep than even Halle Berry's Catwoman.

This picture on the Holybullies site made me laugh.
Bev LaHaye and CWA didn't change much.

Posted by: Kamikapse | Feb 27, 2009 11:46:05 AM

Thanks for featuring this, Jeremy.

Nowadays, people can't seem to understand how prevalent stuff like this was back then.

Posted by: a. mcewen | Feb 27, 2009 11:52:17 AM

Thanks for posting it, Alvin.

The CWA quip, Kamikapse, is also interesting in terms of the evolution of this fight and our own community's victories. Although CWA is obviously still horrible in terms of gay rights, there is no way they would lend their name to this comic if reprinted today. Not that they wouldn't want to, mind -- they are just smarter than that politically.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Feb 27, 2009 12:02:45 PM

I can't believe I read the whole damned thing. Part II as well.

Posted by: Jamie | Feb 27, 2009 12:41:55 PM

Yeah... that's what makes groups like CWA so annoying and dangerous.
They're diplomatic, smart and two-faced.

At least the Phelps clan puts their world-view out in the open.

Posted by: Kamikapse | Feb 27, 2009 1:36:15 PM

I feel so cheated - I’m a relatively good looking guy and I've never had as much sex as these people think that we do. Plus how do these people think we’re able to complete our "agenda" if we're always having sex. Twisted!

Posted by: Alonzo | Feb 27, 2009 2:10:00 PM

Another Jack Chick?

At least Hafer is dead now, I checked.

Posted by: anon | Feb 27, 2009 5:57:01 PM

. . . Did anyone else read Dick Hafer as Dick Hater?

. . . Ok, yeah. Definatly making a comic about the dangers of being on the anti-gay side.

If any of you have ideas for what to put in it, feel free to mail me.

Posted by: Clicky the Fox | Feb 27, 2009 6:47:32 PM

Posted by: Acai | Feb 28, 2009 4:52:47 AM

As a diehard comic book evangelist, I feel compelled to mention two essential gay-positive graphic novels: the classic "Stuck Rubber Baby" by Howard Cruse and "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic" by "Dykes to Watch Out For" creator Alison Bechdel.

Posted by: Derek in DC | Feb 28, 2009 5:19:18 PM