RECENT  POSTS:  » Read: NOM's guide to pressuring lawmakers to ban marriages (while pretending you're doing something good and positive instead) » Full trailer: 'The Normal Heart' » Vintage Clinton era oppo memo perhaps even more relevant today » Concerned Women For America advises churches to lockdown exclusionary marriage views » Video: What does conservative columnist Cal Thomas see as America's biggest threat? Take a guess. » Correcting NOM's fallacious fear graphic » Gee, Bryan, can't understand why federal courts are rejecting you gay = incest view » Former NOM sr. associate admits shift: Moving away from intellectual arguments, focusing on spiritual » Prop 8 defense attorney now planning lesbian daughter's wedding » If you can't afford your event, NOM, perhaps you should just cancel

02/13/2009

Social conservatives don't care to be 'Right'

Some anti-gay social conservatives are on a campaign to stop folks from using terms like "religious right" to describe them:

Gary Schneeberger, vice president of media and public relations for Focus on the Family, said that when writers include terms like "Religious Right" and "fundamentalist," they can create negative impressions.
Phrase 'Religious Right' Misused, Conservatives Say [Christianity Today]
(H/t: PHB)

Because it's not the campaigns, activities, hostilities, and biases that have created "negative impressions." No, no -- it's the labels. Had we been calling them 'Lovely Balls of Sunshine" all of these years, America would have overlooked their constant campaigns against people and ideas that they deem unsavory. Riiiiiiiiight.

Our suggestion: Stop worrying about being called the Religious Right, and starting acting in both a religious and right manner!!!

God loves everyone. But there is right and wrong according to his truths. None of us will change that. We can argue as Christians or as a Christian group, but I recommend that you "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling". Nobody including the Christian "right" or myself can do that for you.

Posted by: Jerry | Feb 13, 2009 11:17:40 AM

Ok, I'm willing to make a deal: everyone will stop using the term "religious right" once we get to do what Barry Goldwater suggested and give them a swift kick in the keister.

Posted by: John | Feb 13, 2009 11:22:30 AM

Would like to take the credit, but this is a comment re Adam and Eve posted under the March 2009 Advocate Article about Wanda Sykes...good article..advocate.com/issue_story_ektid71760.asp
Black and Gay Like Me

Here is comment:
Well, lets suppose God did make Adam and Eve. I would also say that God made me, Oscar Wilde, Wanda Sykes, Alan Cummings, Christian Vincent, Ted Haggard and Hong Seok-cheon. God also made Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Ghandi, and Jerry Falwell. God makes butterflys and viruses, kittens and cholera.
It's what we do as creations of God, how do we treat other Godly creatures? that is what is important.. all this man-made BS about what God wants me to do is just that, man-made BS. Your mileage may vary, of course, and I uphold your rights of variance... If only you would do the same for me.

So tiny violins for those who are wearing Jerry Falwell's shoes but don't like them now.

Posted by: LOrion | Feb 13, 2009 11:44:08 AM

Jerry: We are quite comfortable with our own "salvation."
What we want is for social conservative to get their personal ideas about our morality out of civil government!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Feb 13, 2009 11:52:32 AM

See I don't really give a crap what your god thinks or what's written in your silly bible. Bite me.

Posted by: Mike K | Feb 13, 2009 12:26:01 PM

Aren't these the same people who insist on putting our lives into quotation marks?

Posted by: SammySeattle | Feb 13, 2009 12:41:15 PM

Jerry, I think that you will find little disagreement among any of us with your sentiment. Each and everyone of us would be perfectly happy if the religious would hold the exact same opinion as you do. And, most of us would probably consider that rhetoric like yours places you somewhere in the religious moderate range.

What we have a problem with is the religious who actively pursue an agenda of intimidation and denigration with respect to us. Those radical religious jihadis are the religious right, and they need to be confronted, and called on their hate-filled aggression. And, if you are feeling the hatred boiling up in your face as a result of reading my comments, then you're one of those jihadis as well.

You have every right to your opinions, and your beliefs, but you have absolutely no right to force your belief system (through legislation, intimidation, or harassment) onto anyone else. And if you attempt to force it onto me (and, dare I say, most of us) you will be rebuffed with an appropriate amount of ebullient vigor. Your fairy tales may provide comfort to you, and as long as you don't use them as a billy-club to bash away at me, then you are a moderate in my mind.

If you step over that line, then you deserve the title of radical fundamentalist jihadist, at least in my mind.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Feb 13, 2009 1:53:40 PM

Okay...so they don't like the 'Religious Right'...
so, lets just go with the new and improved attrtibution, as it is closer to the truth anyway.
KO is using it...so that makes it official, Right?

The TALIBAN RIGHT.

(and it rhymes with 'allemand right'..you know the old square dancing move.)

Posted by: LOrion | Feb 15, 2009 11:56:48 PM

I love it that militant fundamentalists are whining about being referred to as militant fundamentalists.

Posted by: libhomo | Feb 21, 2009 8:26:17 PM