RECENT  POSTS:  » What most people aren't getting about the fake non-troversies of the anti-gay right » 'Weekly Standard' asst. editor equates Tim Cook with man who pits God against him » Michigan pastors make unfortunate lifestyle choice; say they'll go to jail rather than not discriminate » PFOX's Quinlan says SBC leader's opposition to 'reparative therapy' is cruel » That Idaho wedding venue posts new 'rules and regulations'; will still perform non-Christian weddings » Another deceptive thing about NOM's duplicitous anti-Hagan ad » NOM trying to shape Arkansas politics without even learning state's abbreviation » Video: Focus on the Family staffer who calls homosexuality 'particularly evil lie of Satan' hangs out in Chicago's Boystown » Video: Another new NOM ad targets Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR); uses James O'Keefe video as source » What the heck is 'NOM Victory Fund'?

03/11/2009

Gay Peter makes strange bedfellows

family-guy-gayIt's rare that both the 'mo fans at GLAAD and the 'mo foes at the Parents Television Council find themselves coming out against the same episode of a particular TV show.. But that's kind of what's happened with this past Sunday's gay-themed "Family Guy," with the queer advocacy group speaking out against possible dangers that the show could hold for LGBT people...

Fox’s Family Guy is just one of those shows that has built a cult following with its non sequiturs, purposefully lame double entendres, and culturally offensive one-liners and visual gags. Sunday’s episode, entitled “Family Gay,” delivered all that and such a piling heap of rapid-fire gay stereotypes that it could be perceived as more defamatory than funny.
New Family Guy Serves Up Stereotypes in Spades [GLAADBlog]

...and the "parents advocacy" group speaking out against just about everything else in the show:

"Fox treated viewers to everything from an ‘eleven-way’ gay orgy to baby Stewie eating a bowl of cereal with horse sperm instead of milk ... if that isn’t enough, the show’s leading character is also shown fanaticizing about his wife and moaning while a horse licks his bare behind. Clearly, the explicit content was not isolated to one instance in one segment of the show; it permeated the entire program."
PTC Outraged Over ‘Family Guy' Episode [Broadcasting & Cable]

Guess both groups think you should been watching "The L Word" instead (even if that show greatly upset the National Council Against Unfulfilling Finales).

**Here, watch the full episode and decide for yourself:

I don't know. This is Family Guy and it makes fun of everything. It's interesting that this episode got on the radar but an earlier one in which Peter and a Barbershop Quartet sings a song to a man about how he caught AIDS didn't catch any notice.

Posted by: a. mcewen | Mar 11, 2009 5:36:02 PM

I usually like using stereotypes for humor. But the episode was a bit ham handed even for me.

Posted by: Wilberforce | Mar 11, 2009 8:15:48 PM

XD; I like the show BECAUSE it is so over the top. You can't take anything seriously in it.
Really, both sides need to take a chill pill on this one.
It's Family Guy. It's... Just Family Guy.

Posted by: Clicky the Fox | Mar 11, 2009 8:18:54 PM

Seth Macfarlane the creator of the show is so far on our side it's surprising he's straight - folks need to get a sense of humor or just don't watch the frickin' show.

Posted by: Alonzo | Mar 11, 2009 11:46:56 PM

The prancing and mincing were definitely excessive, and dwarves and Asians clearly have reason to be somewhat offended, but generally I thought it was a pretty good episode and, in many important ways, rather gay-positive. And flinging dead horses around is funny... it just is.

Posted by: Derek in DC | Mar 12, 2009 12:01:17 AM

don't know . . .we just laughed . . .a lot.

I think we break down stereotypes by confronting them, and this episode was just damned funny.

Posted by: Jon | Mar 12, 2009 12:35:19 AM

I'm of two minds. While watching the show, I laughed, I cringed, I groaned, and I shook my head in disbelief. Just as I do with most "FG" episodes. To me, a grown gay man who doesn't deal with daily persecution (at least in my real, personal life), it was ridiculousness that I could swallow, and over-the-top caricatures that I could laugh at.

But at the same time, I like that GLAAD has a thing or two to say about this. That is their job. They SHOULD be speaking out against the possible dangers that this sort of stuff can hold. Some people do accept these sorts of portrayals at face value and internalize them to see gay men as sex-obsessed, limp-wristed stereotypes.

So for me, it's possible -- practical, even -- to see this with two minds. To see the need to address what was said in the episode, if for no other reason than to remind people that it is only a comedy show -- one that takes the piss out of every single person, place, and thing on the planet.

And yes, as Alonzo stated, Seth MacFarlane is to the left of much of the LGBT community on gay rights.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 12, 2009 8:38:15 AM

a. mcewen, the episode you refered to with the barbershop quartet actually DID get a lot of flak when it first aired. I'm sure that the current 'Family Gay' episode won't be the last controversial one either... :-)

Posted by: Phil in Colorado | Mar 12, 2009 12:25:09 PM

effing hilarious. i don't get offended by this stuff. i laugh at my big old stereotypical dyke self everyday and i know mCfarlane is way on our side. sometimes the obvious IS funny.

Posted by: c-freak | Mar 12, 2009 12:54:21 PM

This show was only funny for the first 3 seasons. His behavior was similar to that in a far superior second season episode.

Posted by: Attmay | Mar 12, 2009 5:02:21 PM

I love the show, everything is over the top. Of course there were stereotypes, but at the same time the overall message was quite good. Plus http://www.goodasyou.org/good_as_you/2008/01/not-a-pro-famil.html

Posted by: JayCanuck | Mar 13, 2009 1:50:44 AM

I won't deny that the stereotypes were heavy, but the show only highlights homosexuality in the most positive way possible. You have to keep in mind, Family Guy is a comedy- it makes fun of EVERYTHING, extends stereotypes on EVERYONE, and just because one episode happens to be about homosexuality doesn't mean pro-homosexual organizations have the right to get upset about it.

Seth MacFarlane has spoke out himself about homosexuality and his support for it. And instead of looking at the stereotypes and perceived-negative messages, I laugh and enjoy the show and look at the overall message- which is, for this episode (as well as all others handling gay issues) a positive one. What I got from the episode is, homosexuality is not a choice, and if people are happy being homosexual then they should live their life to the fullest. Yeah, some people might get offended by the exaggerated stereotypes, but how many television shows on regular television speak in such favor for homosexuality?

Besides, if you can't laugh at yourself, who can you laugh at? I thought the episode was hilarious. Loved it! Love Family Guy.

Posted by: Dee | Mar 16, 2009 2:44:01 AM

I don't get it. I am getting so tired of this politically correct shit. Besides, Brian's cousin is the most stereotypically gay character on the show. Is it because a main character is gay? This is bull.

Posted by: Tony Dodson | Mar 28, 2009 10:20:25 AM