RECENT  POSTS:  » Scott Lively equates accurately noting his public record with inciting murder » Audio: Mark Regnerus doesn't think marriage equality has 'a lot of gas left' » Friday: NOM president shares the bill with 'ex-gay' activists » Today in 'um, yeah, obviously': Stunt marriages not confined to opposite-sex partnerships » Video: Brian Brown's fellow panelist gives insight into Moscow panel's extreme views on homosexuality, marriage » Video: TN man condemns gays with Leviticus billboards; oddly allows local Red Lobsters to remain open » Video: 'Ex-gay' speaker at upcoming ERLC summit equates talking to gay people with talking to cancer patients » GLAAD: Mainstream media is catching on to NOM's broader agenda » FRC's Values Voter Summit puts anti-gay bakers on a marriage panel; so we won, basically » GOP front group NOM raising money for a GOP US Senate

03/12/2009

Video: Some in these clips appear possessed. Plus there's also a gay dude.

[::cough, cough, cough::] Does anyone have some water or a lozenge? [::cough::] I seem to have a tickle in my throat, for which some sort of benign local remedy might help.

Or wait a minute, on second thought -- maybe it's not a tickle. Maybe I instead need to get to the root of my big gay sickness, and find someone willing to "cast the homosexual spirit" out of me:

Three more must-see parts to this voodoo...

Our only hope? That someone will save the spirt once it escapes. We have a gay friend who we've been wanting to fix up with a nice, young, spirited type.

Casting out the Homosexual spirit [YouTube]

***UPDATE: As you can see, the full set of clips has been yanked. Fortunately some other YouTubers managed to salvage some of the footage (although it really doesn't give the full picture of nuttiness):

this is so disturbing, this place gets tax exemption? this should be shut down, and these people are sick.

Posted by: queerunity | Mar 12, 2009 3:18:41 PM

I sometimes try to cast the homosexual demon out, too. But then he reminds me that he pays half the bills and that both of our names are on the mortgage.

Posted by: markl | Mar 12, 2009 3:25:52 PM

I agree 100% fully that personally held religious beliefs should not under any condition be used to deny GLBT people our entitled civil rights.

Posted by: Alonzo | Mar 12, 2009 3:48:14 PM

Alonzo, you have GOT to be kidding me this time. You seriously think we should just sit back and watch them basically abuse this poor boy and say, "oh -- let's not talk about it so as to not offend their religious convictions"?!

And I'm also sorry, but if they are going to paint my orientation as a "demon," I think they can take me taking the piss out of their bizarre ritual!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 12, 2009 3:52:42 PM

We don't know if this young man decided to undergo the ritual of his on free will.

A person’s faith can be just as part of who they are as our orientation is a part of who we are.

The simple fact remaining there are people who follow certain faiths that says homosexuality is incompatible with their chosen faith - in most of these cases faith can and will triumph over one’s biological realities.

It’s not my place or anyone else for that matter to say if these rituals are successful or not – but as a person who follows an unorthodox spiritual practice myself I know how deep these type of spiritual workings can go.

You’re right you have ever right to “taking the piss out of their bizarre ritual” all that you want too.

But as I said in my own PERSONAL opinion I think it’s just as disrespectful as someone calling you or any other well adjusted GLBT person a “demon” because of our orientation (personal I would take being called a demon a compliment but that’s another story).

Posted by: Alonzo | Mar 12, 2009 4:23:40 PM

"in my own PERSONAL opinion I think it’s just as disrespectful as someone calling you or any other well adjusted GLBT person a “demon” because of our orientation"

I find that comparison extremely offensive. Extremely.

I am not "attacking" anyone, Alonzo. I'm not telling the world that certain humans need to be fixed. I'm, quite gingerly, looking at these videos that they have chosen to post to the internet and commenting on them. And you seriously are drawing a direct comparison between that and a homo-condemning religious ritual in which grown adults are trying to SUCK OUT A GAY DEMON?!?!?!

And couching that by saying it's your "personal" opinion does not lessen the offense I draw from it.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 12, 2009 4:32:13 PM

It's not that you are attacking a person (because clearly you were not) but you are attacking their faith (in my OWN personal opinion I find that disrespectful)nonetheless you have EVERY RIGHT to do so.

But to make a broad generalization of someone faith in my OWN opinion (which I could be wrong) is the same as someone broadly generalizing that GLBT need to have a gay demon sucked out of them.

It truly wasn't my intention to offend you personally and I apologize for doing so - I just felt in this post these people's faith is being attacked because we don't agree with it and in my OWN personal opinion I thought it was disrespectful to their faith and nothing more.

Posted by: Alonzo | Mar 12, 2009 4:56:13 PM

Well you have a very funny definition of the word "attack," Alonzo.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 12, 2009 5:05:31 PM

Posted by: Dick Mills | Mar 12, 2009 5:06:26 PM

I didn't use the word "attack" until my 3rd comment - and in that case I should have stuck with disrespect as that was my main point.

Posted by: Alonzo | Mar 12, 2009 5:20:43 PM

What's been done has been done, Alonzo. I'm moving on.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 12, 2009 5:25:19 PM

Alonzo, I come from the background where stuff like that happens and I applaud Jeremy for bringing attention to it. It's one thing to respect someone's religious beliefs but it's another entirely to say anything when someone's religous beliefs leads them down a path of ignorance. Do you have any idea how many young gay black men play this game with themselves? Things like this lead to the high HIV rate in the black community.

Posted by: a. mcewen | Mar 12, 2009 5:41:59 PM

I mean "say nothing when someone's religious beliefs leads them down a path or ignorance." Sorry

Posted by: a. mcewen | Mar 12, 2009 5:43:43 PM

Thanks, Alvin.

And let's also have a little nuance here, for goodness' sake. I made jokes about my own need to have a gay demon removed and about the possibility of the exorcised demon dating my friend. It's not like I called them names, denied their right to hold ceremonies, or "attacked" them in any way.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 12, 2009 5:53:51 PM

My first 2 statements never mention anything about anyone "attacking" anyone - I just felt there was disrespect to these people's faith. Nor did I make any accusation that any person(s)was being "attacked”.

I stated and I still standby my statement that their faith was disrespected. Regardless if I or anyone disagrees with this spiritual practice - in my own personal opinion I see no need of disrespecting someone's faith.

Obviously I'm taking it personally because even though I'm not a follower of this particular faith I do follow an unorthodox spiritual practice and I take just as much offense when my faith is disrespect the same as my sexual orientation is disrespected.

Maybe I wouldn't have expressed my feelings on the subject if I would have known that I would have offended Jeremy as it was not my intention to do so.

Posted by: Alonzo | Mar 12, 2009 6:17:25 PM

"That being said ridiculing someone else’s religious convictions and beliefs is inappropriate and disrespectful in my own opinion."

Respect has to be earned. Conservative Christianity and its followers deserve no, NO respect.

Posted by: TomTallis | Mar 12, 2009 8:42:16 PM

This stuff is straight out of the book of Acts. Possession of the holy spirit, exorcising of the demons, etc. I actually had a watered down version of the above done to me at the Assembly of God church. It of course didn't work, but it did manage to sour my relationship with all Christians for at least 10 years. It's probably for the best since it forced me to accept my sexuality. I remember thinking shortly after it happened, and my gay desires didn't go away, "If Jesus can't make me straight, maybe I'm not supposed to be straight."

Also these are the same people who think that a fat person is possessed by a gluttony demon, and coveting your neighbor's wife is also caused by a "demon". Demon is just a code word for an outside influence that causes you to Sin. Get rid of the demon, get rid of the temptation to Sin(that's the theory). I hope that this poor gay kid gets some real psychological/coming out help beyond his well-meaning but mostly harmful congregation.

Posted by: Jeff | Mar 12, 2009 9:13:30 PM

If only they could cast out "amputee" demons...

Posted by: ---- | Mar 12, 2009 9:48:25 PM

This is the user who uploaded the videos.

I think she might have reuploaded the videos under a different name.

Posted by: Chris | Mar 12, 2009 11:30:53 PM

"The evil in those videos isn't some supposed "gay demon". The evil is the fact that some self appointed self-righteous jackass is using his personal powers of persuasion over others as a means of attempting to control them. Building up a false sense of fear and self-loathing in a someone who is vulnerable to such lunacy in order to dehumanize them.. that is evil. That is the most despicable of all evil."

Thank you. This is done in the name of God, but it is not about God at all. It is about power and personal gain.

Posted by: Bonnie_Half-Elven | Mar 15, 2009 9:40:21 AM