RECENT  POSTS:  » Add 'professional advocate for anti-gay scouting' to list of bygone career choices » NOM to lasso the White House with a rosary. Or something. » NOM's new plan? To beat up its org-crushing loss until it becomes a win. » By the time you read this headline, we'll be ten more seconds beyond stagnant anti-gay 'culture wars' » Video: America cannot wait—to purchase American Family Association radio equipment? Huh?! » Huckabee 2016: 'cause church and state aint gonna marry themselves » EEOC does wonky, under-radar thing that could lay groundwork for definitive nondiscrimination protections » Maggie Gallagher, now that you've lost on marriage, might you lose these deceptive ways as well? » Crowdfunding discriminatory business owners: Perfect statement on anti-gay movement's current affairs » The religious anti-gay crowd: They never understood the marriage fight; now they don't understand their loss

05/01/2009

Arkansas: Did prominent CEO place 'Wal' around Adoption Mart?

Mike-DukeDid Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke sign the petition that ultimately led the state of Arkansas to ban adoption by same-sex couples? Yes, says KnowThyNeighbor.org:

A one, Mike Duke of 16 Pinnacle Drive, Rogers, Arkansas with the birthdate of 12/07/49 appears on a petition sheet for the Anti-Gay Arkansas Adoption and Foster Ban or Act 1. The actual petition sheet may be viewed here and on KnowThyNeighbor.org where one may find the alleged signature of Mr. Duke and the check mark put on by the State of Arkansas indicating that this name was verified and counted for the advancement and ultimate success of the anti-gay legislation in Arkansas in 2008 otherwise known as Act 1.
CEO of Wal-Mart Found On Arkansas Anti-Gay Petition [KTN]

Well that would totally explain why the stroller we recently bought at Wal requires the pusher to deposit some sperm and egg in the cup holder before the wheels will unlock. And here we just thought we got a defective model -- we didn't know that it's because we're seen as a defective model for a family!

But in all seriousness (or the best we can muster): This is a pretty big deal, if it proves undoubtedly verifiable. A big deal for Wal-Mart, who surely wouldn't welcome the controversy. A big deal for Target, who eagerly would.

Yep, there were supposedly 83,000 names on that list. I suppose they are searching for other big dogs. But you cant get much bigger. GAAAAA! Look at that pic. Freaky.

Posted by: LOrion | May 1, 2009 11:50:30 AM

I used WalMart as a clue in a recent game of Taboo. My word was China, and my clue was, "The country where all of those little kids are from who make the stuff for WalMart." Needless to say, that immediately elicited 3 correct (and in unison) responses.

Posted by: Dick Mills | May 1, 2009 11:51:49 AM

Love your clue, Dick! My husband calls them the Chinese Embassy. Add this to the long list of reasons we refuse to shop there and yet another excuse to shop at the ever-more-trendy Target instead.

Posted by: Ken | May 1, 2009 12:25:13 PM

I will be VERY interested to learn if this is verified. Some people need to be shaken up.

Posted by: Bonnie_Half-Elven | May 1, 2009 12:41:25 PM

Why is it a big Deal that Duke supports the ban? So, he just represents the majority in this state.
If you are going to boycott Wal-mart over it then you will probably have to boycott every other business in Arkansas as well. BTW, every store in the US has merchandise from China or elsewhere that was made in a sweatshop. So again, you will just need to stay home 24/7 and make everything yourself to avoid supporting it.

Posted by: Dan | May 1, 2009 3:17:54 PM

Just curious: Are you from Arkansas, Dan?

Posted by: G-A-Y | May 1, 2009 3:23:19 PM

I have so many reasons to never set foot in a Walmart that this one seems almost petty.

Posted by: Laura | May 1, 2009 5:00:48 PM

Ok, not that there are not enough valid reasons to not shop at wal-mart? Given their business and employment practices? If this is the CEO of wal-mart, he signed his name to it, representing himself, not the company he works for. I did have to discuss this with my other half, because I was torn on what to think about it, but in the end, we shouldn't end up boycotting Wal-Mart because one of the employees (which is all he really is) decided to sign this petition.

Posted by: Jack | May 1, 2009 5:37:16 PM

My God, you mean people still buy stuff from Wal-Mart? I haven't darkened one of their doors in 10 years, after I walked into one and decided there wasn't a product on earth I needed that badly or that cheaply. If I can't afford or find something somewhere else, I have always found I can happily live without it.

Posted by: Roy | May 1, 2009 7:44:31 PM

yeah, I came from that area. no wonder I left. not my concern though, as every other state that has common sense ignores such frivolous issues as "is it right to let gays and lesbians adopt?". Arkansas will soon follow suit thanks to national law. just a matter of time.

Posted by: jh | Oct 11, 2009 6:19:00 PM