RECENT  POSTS:  » Video: 'Ex-gay' speaker at upcoming ERLC summit equates talking to gay people with talking to cancer patients » GLAAD: Mainstream media is catching on to NOM's broader agenda » FRC's Values Voter Summit puts anti-gay bakers on a marriage panel; so we won, basically » GOP front group NOM raising money for a GOP US Senate » Leave beloved children's author Beverly Cleary out of your dastardly agenda, NOM! » Video: Another hour, another anti-gay activist warning society of its impending, gay-initiated doom » Video: Target features gay dads in new ad #MadeToMatter » Brian Brown warns America: We probably won't survive gay people's marriages » Ben & Jerry's has the scoop on our inevitably sweeter future » READ: HRC's 'Export of Hate' report puts American activists on notice

06/04/2009

Because a toaster would've been too sane

Picture 11-127

Perilous to my mind, body, and soul? Hell, it's my bank account that he should have really mentioned! These wedding things be mucho costly!

But hey at least my spouse, unlike Mrs LaBarbera, won't have to deal with a lifetime of seeing his husband bizarrely enthralled with a kind of sex that he claims to not desire. So yea -- score one for my couples therapy-less home!

"Tell Pete that he's not a real "Christian" unless he follows all the rules. Including, not judging others, and bearing false witness, just to name two."

Hell, Taylor, I would tell Petey-boy he's not a real Christian unless he joins the one and true Christian Church - the Roman Catholic one. After all if you change "homosexual behavior" to "heresy" in his email, you have the perfect insult for, say, Father Oprah down in Miami, who has chosen to convert to Episcopalian so he can marry his girlfriend.

Not that I believe in taking sides in the "my Christianity is better than your Christianity" (although I was raised Catholic), but what kills me is the hypocrisy of these "Christians" having no problem with all these false versions of their religion floating around (no matter what brand of Christianity you happen to choose, there are always other versions that preach you're a sinner and a Satanist), but do have an issue with people who simply don't want to be part of their little club.

Posted by: CPT_Doom | Jun 4, 2009 5:22:13 PM

"which is why the phrase gay christian is so odd"
Just like how the praise black Mormon was "so odd" back before the 1970's.

Posted by: Jeff Chang | Jun 4, 2009 5:42:46 PM

"God is not mocked."

Entering into a commited relationship with someone of the same sex is mocking God? Whatever...

So LaBarbera believes your marriage is fake. ::GASPS!:: Jeremy, quick! Get an annulment! You can't get hitched with your boyfriend if LaBarbera doesn't believe in it! Clearly the world and everone in it revolves around Peter and his interpretation of the Bible.

Posted by: KZ | Jun 4, 2009 6:10:08 PM

Peter L needs to taking a basic writing class.

Posted by: JKM | Jun 4, 2009 6:32:55 PM

Jeff, to me the phrase "black mormon" is still odd. I could never understand the need to be embraced by a religion which only recently deemed me worthy. Screw them and their prophets!

For that matter, Petey calling gay Christians "odd" is also true, just not for the reason he believes.

I also found his phrase ending with "... the more perilous it will be for you" as MORE than a little threatening. With the murder of Dr. Tiller, we know that our home grown Christian nutballs are capable of horrendous acts in the name of Jesus, and they sometimes send out soft-spoken missives just before they snap.

In all likelihood, Petey boy wouldn't hurt a fly (I doubt he can stop masturbating long enough to commit a crime). But still, that email gave me a weird chill.

Having said that -- Congratulations on your nuptials!

Posted by: Taylor Siluwé | Jun 4, 2009 6:50:00 PM

Shit shows when shit it is...... ie being LaBarbera

All he should do tell about his secret affairs and his BFing..

Posted by: Master Adrian | Jun 4, 2009 7:31:18 PM

That letter is one of the rudest things I've ever seen. It just boggles my mind that people can be so cruel. I hope Pete is reading these comments. If he gets to mine, I want to tell him to go pick up a book by Miss Manners or Emily Post.

I was partnered up in NY state (Albany) for 7 years until my (almost) spouse passed away suddenly. (2 years ago). My blood is just boiling at that letter. How does Pete not understand that along with sex, we also actually take care of each other? We laugh together, cry together, travel together. Pete would rather we were single, than be there for each other? Hold each other? I took care of Dan when he was sick, and vice versa. We had shared experiences together, we could finish each other sentences, we took care of our extended families together.

Wow, it just hurts my head so much that there are such hateful people as Pete in the world.

And a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS on your wedding. I live in MA now, and although the winters aren't terrific, New England is sure turning out to be the best place in the country to live.

Posted by: John | Jun 4, 2009 8:13:49 PM

NO NO YES .... and must have lost his address.

(Wonder if now would be the time to tell him that my partner is Jewish?

That my ceremony is civil, not faith-based?

That a nun is coming to my ceremony?

That he was never invited in the first place?)

Posted by: LOrion | Jun 4, 2009 8:51:36 PM

"God is not mocked."

Really? I mock him all the time. Blasphemy is *Fun!*

Oh, and I love how all of this is about the sexual act and attraction to right-wing christians. Is marriage all about where you put your dick? Yes, that is part of being homosexual, but I think larger is the fact that you are ready and willing to dedicate yourselves to each other. Love is a many splendor'd thing. I wish you all the luck and love in the world.

Posted by: Jeff | Jun 4, 2009 8:59:52 PM

....and to Timothy Kincaid...if you are in New York: Might want to see this play.

theater2.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/theater/reviews/04next.html

THEATER REVIEW | 'NEXT FALL'
MORE ON 'NEXT FALL'

Love With a Proper Atheist and Other Leaps of Faith

Posted by: LOrion | Jun 4, 2009 10:10:58 PM

That note represents a level of unmitigated douche-baggery that is hard to imagine any non-psychopath stooping to.

Jeremy, I hope and suspect that you're too sensible to let that sort of gratuitous bile spoil your big day. Congratulations on the nuptials. Smooches, kid.

Posted by: Diogenes | Jun 5, 2009 3:54:06 AM

Some people really don't cope well with not being invited to a wedding.

Posted by: Chris | Jun 5, 2009 6:01:12 AM

Congrats on the wedding! I hope you've forwarded this across the known blogosphere -- this crosses such a line for someone who tries to at least retain a veneer of professionalism. Honestly, this is Westboro stuff...

Posted by: UK Chris | Jun 5, 2009 7:06:30 AM

I don't see how a person who doesn't believe God shares the same hangups about gays that Pete obviously has could be mocking God. Isn't God supposed to be all-knowing? Wouldn't he be able to distinguish between mockery and a difference of opinion?
What's more, if he's all-wise, then why should mockery bother him anyway? Unless he's incredibly vain, shouldn't he just be able to shrug it off?

Posted by: Bill S | Jun 5, 2009 7:08:49 AM

It's also astounding how Pete can say, without irony, that my marriage is not "real" because he does not accept the religious element (or lack thereof). The fact remains that after June 13, I will be legally married, with my marriage fully recognized on the state level when I return to NY.

The "pro-family" community's refusal to separate the religious and civil components of marriage is, for me, the most annoying aspect of their advocacy on this issue.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jun 5, 2009 9:30:04 AM

There is a special, dedicated section of the 12th layer of hell for these "Christians".

Posted by: JeffRob | Jun 5, 2009 11:43:04 AM

wow.
First off. C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!!!!
secondly, WTF!?
This was not part of ?... boggles the mind.
And it gives a really telling insight into this mans diseased brain.
a small, scared, little man.

Posted by: banshiii | Jun 5, 2009 12:18:26 PM

Poor Pete--I truly believe he is a deeply closeted and self-loathing gay man who feels if he was "forced" into marrying a woman to feel better about himself and his religious beliefs, then every other gay man should as well.

Posted by: johnson | Jun 5, 2009 12:36:11 PM

Jeremy,
I just wish folks like Peter would be consistent.

If he's going to go after you for your "mocking of God" then he has to go tell the same to all the other sinners, which includes, Jews, Hindus, Atheists, Mormons, Shintoists, Pagans, Wiccans, Muslims, Buddhists, and Taoists.

But what I would much prefer is if Peter (and his ilk) treated gays with the same respect and indifference they treat all the other people they think are ending up in a lake of fire. Namely all the groups I listed above and more. Seems rather idiotic to go after homosexuals over ambiguous passages of the bible when there's a whole commandment that the Wiccans, Pagans, Buddhists, etc are ALL disobeying, namely the one about having other Gods before God.

Posted by: Jason D | Jun 5, 2009 7:35:05 PM

Congrats Jeremy!!

Peter again proves, he lacks Christ like fruit, with a email like that. What a nasty person he is.

Posted by: Rob79 | Jun 5, 2009 7:38:57 PM

I would think God blessed him with a brain to decide how to use it for himself, and to use the Bible for inspiration rather than a weapon. And something tells me that he doesn't reserve this kind of disapproval for the other Bible-breakers, like people who eat shellfish or don't wear cotton clothes.

Posted by: joe c | Jun 5, 2009 7:46:12 PM

Oh two more things: MANY congratulations, and in the name of all that's holy DON'T also invite the Phelps people!

Posted by: joe c | Jun 5, 2009 7:48:18 PM

Congratulations on your wedding! May life be wonderful for both of you.

(And the less said about the Peter, the better.)

TRiG.

Posted by: Timothy (TRiG) | Jun 6, 2009 1:04:18 PM

Why doesn't someone do us all a favor and rid the earth of that vile creature?

Posted by: Mykelb | Oct 20, 2009 4:32:47 PM