RECENT  POSTS:  » NOM spends six figures on North Carolina's Hagan/Tillis US Senate race » Idaho wedding venue can be discriminatory so long as it sticks to new business model » Sunday in Houston: Activists mad that churches were noted for their politicization head to a church—to politicize » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists'

07/07/2009

6/13/09: This is what marriage equality looks like

Where: Winvian in Litchfield Hills, CT

When: June 13, 2009

Who: 79 friends and family members, plus assorted talented chefs/officiants/artists

What: A celebration of two boys' right to love, peace, and equality:

Web-8-1

0123-1

Web-1
Screen Shot 2009-12-21 At 11.22.23 Am
Hooper-Shulman
Web-4

Web-3
*Yes, I cried. Like a baby.

Web-2-1
Picture 12-99

0006

Picture 14-87

Web-6
Picture 13-91

Web-10-1

Web-7
(Wedding Photos: Jacklyn Greenberg)

No religious freedoms were harmed in the making of these photos/videos.

**MORE: This was the gorgeous cottage (on Winvian's property) where we got to spend our wedding night/the night before:

Picture 10-131
200907071425-2
Picture 14-86
Picture 11-132Cott-2Fire-1Picture 12-96

**MORE: A few from the honeymoon:

200907071426-1
200907071425-1
200907071424-2
200907071427
200907071427-1
200907071428
200907071429

**MORE: And we take it all home to NYC, where our marriage earns full state-level recognition:

Nyshoot1-1
Nyshoot4-3
Nyshoot3-1
Nyshoot7-1
(NY Photos: Jacklyn Greenberg)

**EARLIER: Our autumnal Engagement Party.

****

*UPDATE: In the Winter of 2010, Jeremy and Andrew were honored to be first same-sex couple ever featured in Martha Stewart Weddings magazine.

Yeah, I'm a big cry baby too--God I can't wait to feel that happy.

Posted by: Ezra Horne | Jul 14, 2009 12:28:26 PM

awwwwww~
i nearly cried watching the ceremony <3
so sweet!

Posted by: Viral | Jul 14, 2009 4:51:21 PM

very gross - the entire album

Posted by: Goldie | Jul 15, 2009 12:06:15 AM

Well then you're gonna LOVE the more risqué honeymoon shoot, Goldie!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 15, 2009 7:32:55 AM

Mazel tov! Great pics, and what a cute couple. May you have many happy years together. :-)

Posted by: The Milkman | Jul 15, 2009 10:50:51 AM

Congratulations. Made me cry too, and clearly whomever was filming.... :-) Thank you for posting this.

Posted by: Russ | Jul 15, 2009 10:56:08 AM

Oh no, those are not the cameraman's tears you hear, Russ -- they are mine. The cameraman chose to mic me in order to pick up both my and Andrew's sound. Nobody predicted that I would be the one to cry like a baby :-)

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 15, 2009 11:38:39 AM

What a cute couple! Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your photos and videos.

Posted by: Andy | Jul 15, 2009 11:43:59 AM

Congratulations. My husband and I got married last year in California. The wedding was so much fun. And married life is different than non-married life. In a good way. We can’t exactly explain why. Congratulations.

Posted by: Kevin H | Jul 15, 2009 12:09:30 PM

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. ;0; That's beautiful.

Posted by: Katarina Banner | Aug 10, 2009 5:37:31 PM

Sad distortion of God's plan for marriage... truly bizarre looking... 2 men... you cannot produce in your own kind...

Posted by: Sincerely Grieved | Aug 16, 2009 12:58:11 AM

SG: The fact that you call my love "bizarre looking" does not hurt me on a personal level. But the fact that you could be so "sincerely grieved" by anyone else's wedding? Well, I do find that very alarming.

Who do you think you are?! Why do you think you have the right to deny others of their happiness? I don't care if you want to get married while literally defecating on my wedding photos. So why do you care so much about my life, love, and civil equality? That's what we on the pro-equality side find so unbelievably insulting: The arrogant way your side tries to use your personal beliefs to hurt us! We have no desire to do the same.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Aug 16, 2009 8:59:13 PM

Congratulations and much joy. I'm 65 and happy to be around to see beautiful gay couples like you have the chance to marry. Love.

Posted by: Gerry | Aug 17, 2009 10:43:06 PM

U guys made me cry.
All my support from Argentina!
Let everyone around the world unite freely, no matter what they race, sexuality or creed is.

Posted by: MLB | Oct 16, 2009 8:39:49 AM

This is perhaps the most disgusting and perverted thing that I've seen in my lifetime! LEt me be clear: God DOES NOT HONOR THIS PERVERTED AND WICKED UNION!

Who would even go to such a shameful and degrading event is beyond my understanding. Better yet, the person who would perform such a wicked ceremony should repent immediately!

Unless the both of you repent and cry out to God for mercy, you will spend eternity in Hell, separated from God in outer darkness and suffering, and where Jesus said "There will be Gnashing of Teeth". Repent Sodomites! Repent of your Demonic union and lifestyle. Repent Sodomites before you are called to judgment! Repent!

Posted by: Jared Jenkins | Oct 20, 2009 2:11:44 AM

Just watched your vows. How beautiful! Thank you for sharing this. (And yes, I'm crying too.)

Posted by: Em | Oct 20, 2009 11:28:50 AM

Wow, such beautiful pictures Jeremy :-) Congratulations to you and your husband on your marriage and best wishes for your future.

Posted by: Christopher Eberz | Oct 20, 2009 11:33:32 AM

may you and your husband have a long, happy life filled with many blessings.

Posted by: miguel & peter | Oct 20, 2009 12:17:01 PM

I honor this beautiful and moving union.

Mr. Jenkins?
Please see me downstairs.

Posted by: God | Oct 20, 2009 6:06:21 PM

You two are absolutely ADORABLE!

Congratulations a thousand times over. From one lover to another, quit making me want my wedding day to come faster! :)

I feel compelled to post this for you:

When love beckons to you, follow him,
Though his ways are hard and steep.
And when his wings enfold you yield to him,
Though the sword hidden among his pinions may wound you.
And when he speaks to you believe in him,
Though his voice may shatter your dreams
as the north wind lays waste the garden.

For even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you. Even as he is for your growth so is he for your pruning.
Even as he ascends to your height and caresses your tenderest branches that quiver in the sun,
So shall he descend to your roots and shake them in their clinging to the earth.

Like sheaves of corn he gathers you unto himself.
He threshes you to make you naked.
He sifts you to free you from your husks.
He grinds you to whiteness.
He kneads you until you are pliant;
And then he assigns you to his sacred fire, that you may become sacred bread for God's sacred feast.

All these things shall love do unto you that you may know the secrets of your heart, and in that knowledge become a fragment of Life's heart.

But if in your fear you would seek only love's peace and love's pleasure,
Then it is better for you that you cover your nakedness and pass out of love's threshing-floor,
Into the seasonless world where you shall laugh, but not all of your laughter, and weep, but not all of your tears.
Love gives naught but itself and takes naught but from itself.
Love possesses not nor would it be possessed;
For love is sufficient unto love.

When you love you should not say, "God is in my heart," but rather, "I am in the heart of God."
And think not you can direct the course of love, for love, if it finds you worthy, directs your course.

Love has no other desire but to fulfill itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires, let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate love's ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

(Kahlil Gibran, "On Love", from the book "The Prophet")

Posted by: Lofn | Oct 20, 2009 6:51:44 PM

You do realize that what you have posted here is going to beckon the beginning of the end of civilization as we know it!!(according to Maggie (MOO) Gallagher) :-P As I have stated ova and ova again, You don't see that at any cookie cutter hetro out of a box marriage in a church or temple. Let 'em have the word "marriage"... Best of luck ..............

Posted by: TERRWILL | Nov 7, 2009 11:34:41 AM

Well fortunately we don't have to let them have the word "marriage". The state of Connecticut gave it to us.

Now it's the federal govt's turn.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 7, 2009 12:22:43 PM

Jeremy,
I am always moved to tears each time I view these photos.
I sit here alone on 12/1/09 wishing I had such as what you
two have, but I know that holding on to a hope/dream is all
I have, I have been positive since 93' and have had 1 long term relationship since. I want to thank you for letting
this old guy peek in on a very happy and moving moment in
both of your lives.

Thanks

Larry

Posted by: Larry Gibson | Dec 1, 2009 8:16:04 PM

The pics are so beautiful - don't ever take them down. I get teared up when I watch.

db

Posted by: dave b | Dec 16, 2009 11:27:16 PM

Thank you for sharing these beautiful moments with us! I am happy for and very proud of you both. So much joy!

Posted by: Eric | Dec 21, 2009 7:46:10 AM

How absolutely wonderful. Thank you for being the inspiration for other homo-happily-ever-afters. The photographs are amazing. Congratulations!

Posted by: Brad | Dec 21, 2009 10:43:49 AM

I'm jealous,but feel like I'm mishpocha!Mozel Tov! What did you do with your little black book?

Posted by: jerry pritikin | Dec 22, 2009 7:22:19 AM

Oh Jerry, my black book disintegrated long ago :-)

Posted by: G-A-Y | Dec 22, 2009 9:12:56 AM

I loved your photos from your wedding. I would like to share ours with you. Thankyousjc.com

Posted by: Barbara | Dec 22, 2009 12:00:15 PM

Congrats guys!

And kudos to Connecticut on the one year anniversary of its marriage equality law on 11/12, which followed the passage of a civil union law in 2005.

And congrats to all the couples coming to CT to wed from all across the country, many of whom have been together for many, many years.

Onward,