RECENT  POSTS:  » Video: 'PBS NewsHour' shows stark, cruel stakes of marriage fight; entitlement of opponents » FRC launches new site: 'Freedom' to discriminate against LGBT people, so long as you say 'my religion' » Own worst enemies: Anti-gay activists make opening statements on SCOTUS steps » Video: Media outlet that primarily backs anti-equality Republicans faults pro-equality Democrat for listening, learning, growing » Video: Scenes from the self-defeating extremist parade that was NOM's #March4Marriage » Video: Equality versus NOM #march4marriage supporter who thinks we're 'so unnatural' » Own worst enemies: Anti-equality movement shows true animus on steps of Supreme Court » Video: America is ready for the freedom to marry » READ: Very anti-gay crew vows to never recognize civil marriage equality (even though they so will or face penalties) » NOM #March4Marriage coalition partner, religious liaison: 'Homosexuality is behavior and choice...immoral'

07/13/2009

Audio: It's got a good beat but you can't fully retch to it

200907130954-1On Friday, Westboro Baptist's Shirley Phelps-Roper left some comments on this site, alerting us to some new parody songs that she and her proudly anti-gay family were working on. And while she promised us that the forthcoming "Beat It" parody was going to be really good, we have to say, now that we've heard the finished product, that we're a little overwhelmed with the result. It's not as over-the-top nutty as usual, some of the kids sound a little flat in parts and pitchy in others, and the lyrics are much weaker than the notorious family's past entrants. In fact, the overall reaction it elicits is less along the lines of, "OH MY CRAZY, CAN YOU BELIEVE THEY ACTUALLY JUST SAID THAT?!" and more along the lines of "meh."

But don't take our critical word as gospel -- have a listen for yourself:

Eh, not everyone can be Weird Al:

oh dear, the background/karaoke track publisher should sue for improper use of it's product. . .I wouldn't suggest that westboro put out any albums unless it's "God Hates Kidz Bop".

Posted by: Jon | Jul 13, 2009 10:50:15 AM

No, they can't all be Weird Al, but they are all WEIRD.

A family more dysfunctional than the Jacksons. And a LOT less talented.

Posted by: Regan DuCasse | Jul 13, 2009 1:08:26 PM

I thought they were going to protest at MJ's funeral. Chickened out, I guess.

Posted by: bobp | Jul 13, 2009 3:31:39 PM

Here's a parody of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" I wrote and produced called "Scared Homophobes" about the police raiding the Rainbow Lounge in Fort Worth, Texas on the night of the 40th Anniversary of Stonewall:

Posted by: Sean | Jul 13, 2009 5:13:38 PM

I have been visiting this website for the past couple of months, and I find the details of your and Shirley's exchanges endlessly fascinating, and have been tremendously impressed with your ability to respond to the WBC with humor rather than hostility. That takes real character, such that very few people have, and, ultimately, I believe it to be far more constructive than outright hostility. Thanks for that.

Posted by: Rachel Snyder | Jul 13, 2009 8:23:37 PM

bobp.... I thought so too. But they didn't? Too bad that would have made for great downtown LA TV News feeds.

Posted by: LOrion | Jul 14, 2009 12:30:24 AM

They make me long for the shrill children's choruses of the 70's.

Posted by: Mike | Jul 14, 2009 1:10:45 AM

I'm not even going to dignify them with a listen. No one else should either. We all know what shit smells and looks like - you don't need to listen to it to get the full effect.

Posted by: jakeinlove | Jul 14, 2009 5:48:43 PM

J-I-L: Some people prefer to avoid WBC altogether, and others like to highlight their wacky actions under the belief that their extremism helps our side. Both stances have merit.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 14, 2009 5:53:19 PM

On highlighting their wacky actions: I agree. I find them humorous because of their extremity. I mean, who else has targeted Sesame Street?

Posted by: anon | Jul 15, 2009 2:41:38 PM