RECENT  POSTS:  » What most people aren't getting about the fake non-troversies of the anti-gay right » 'Weekly Standard' asst. editor equates Tim Cook with man who pits God against him » Michigan pastors make unfortunate lifestyle choice; say they'll go to jail rather than not discriminate » PFOX's Quinlan says SBC leader's opposition to 'reparative therapy' is cruel » That Idaho wedding venue posts new 'rules and regulations'; will still perform non-Christian weddings » Another deceptive thing about NOM's duplicitous anti-Hagan ad » NOM trying to shape Arkansas politics without even learning state's abbreviation » Video: Focus on the Family staffer who calls homosexuality 'particularly evil lie of Satan' hangs out in Chicago's Boystown » Video: Another new NOM ad targets Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR); uses James O'Keefe video as source » What the heck is 'NOM Victory Fund'?

07/07/2009

Ignoring Perez from this point forward: Who's in?

A1029X100-1There's lots of chatter going on in this here blogosphere about Perez Hilton, his invocation of the "c word" and "dumb b*tch" slurs in relation to Carrie Prejean, his exploitation of Dustin Lance Black, his recent "f word" debacle in relation to willi.i.am, and his new admittance in The Advocate that it was really "the n word" that was on his mind in the spat with the aforementioned Black Eyed Pea:

But Perez tells me that, in the heat of the moment that night, he almost chose to use a different word. “I thought about calling [will.i.am] the n word,” he says over the phone a week after the incident, “but I thought the f word was even worse. I was so filled with hate at that moment because I was hated on so much, and I reacted in the worst way possible.
*READ THE ADVOCATE'S FULL COVER STORY: The Real Perez Hilton [Advocate]

But for us, the people who should feel silly are the ones who are the least bit surprised that this man, Mario Lavandeira, has f***ed up again. All we've seen from him in the four or so years that he's been in the public eye is a train of affronts that range from silly to serious. From his superficial (and seemingly arbitrary) attacks on people's looks, to his branding of just about any female who stands in opposition to him with a sexist and anti-intelelctual "dumb b*tch" label, to his ill-advised attempts at activism: We have read/heard/experiences virtually nothing from this man that we've found enjoyable/stimulating/progressive. And in fact, we've found it personally insulting to have him put forth as a face for gay blogging, as he could not stand much less for what we are trying to accomplish here at G-A-Y.

So while we all knew that the "f word" was on his tongue, we now learn that the "n word" was on his heart? We say: Par for the unfortunate course.

**RELATED: Advocate editor-in-chief Jon Barrett answers the question that we, like many of you, surely have: WHY THE HELL IS 'THE ADVOCATE' PUTTING THIS GUY ON THE COVER IN THE FIRST PLACE?!?!?!? Watch Jon's video response here.

**ALSO: Be sure to read the comments accompanying The Advocate story. We are far from alone in being fed up with Mario's antics.

***

*UPDATE, 10/10: Mario Lavandeira to ditch everything that made him Perez Hilton [G-A-Y]

I can't believe I'm about to say this given that I despise Hilton, but I can understand how one can get so angry that they will say what might be the most offensive slur to the object of their ire. This doesn't excuse the offense but such is very human.

Having said this, have at him. I truly find nothing in Hilton's public image to respect and everything to hold in contempt.

Posted by: John | Jul 7, 2009 10:54:03 AM

Thank you. I know many in the gay community who have come to his defense simply because he's gay. He's a bad advocate for gay rights. He's disrespectful to so many. Yet, when someone disrespects him, he labels it homophobia. Perez needs to stop crying wolf!! And he needs to be respectful, if he wants respect in return.

Posted by: Steve | Jul 7, 2009 11:27:56 AM

You'd think being punched in the face would give a person better control over their mouth. He needs to be blackballed from anything gay related. At this point he's our side's version of Fred Phelps.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Jul 7, 2009 11:38:35 AM

I want to ignore him. I really do! But every day I wake up and decide to make the move, he comes out with something jaw-droppingly ridiculous. I felt the same way about Carrie Prejean and the National Organization of Marriage. If I ignored them, they'd go away. And then they became impossible to ignore for a few weeks.

I became slightly nauseated upon seeing that Lavandeira's traffic skyrocketed on a week that the media considered his "worst week ever". He's gloating in this publicity, and his post announcing his high traffic made me so uneasy. I don't see an end in the near future.

This is the most depressing comment I've ever left anywhere...

Posted by: Dewitt | Jul 7, 2009 11:43:22 AM

AMEN!

There are more productive lgbts that attention need to be focused on and yet people like Hilton hogs up all the attention. And we can't blame the religious right for that mess.

When our news gatherers go out of their way to feature ignorant folks like Hilton, what can you do?

Posted by: a. mcewen | Jul 7, 2009 11:52:12 AM

I thought we were already ignoring him. Mr. Perez needs to learn this little trick: Write what you will in anger, then go have a cup of coffee, edit, send.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Jul 7, 2009 12:15:20 PM

Needs ignoring.

Posted by: Celia | Jul 7, 2009 12:27:41 PM

Count me in! I hope everyone will start ignoring him soon.

Posted by: Mark | Jul 7, 2009 12:37:53 PM

Please. Puh-leez, ignore him Jeremy. I love your blog, but I really hate seeing his face.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jul 7, 2009 12:43:34 PM

I really do hate this guy. I understand being upset and wanting to hurt someone by calling them a name. But for someone who is gay who has this much attention in the media, I am disgusted at his behavior. It hurts twice as bad because I am black and a lesbian, so his attitude towards the n-word and the f-word are both upsetting.

I'm already ignoring him.

Posted by: Ashton | Jul 7, 2009 12:55:16 PM

Perez. I see his face and I just want to Photoshop in some semen dripping out of his mouth. Oh, and maybe a coke trail under his nose. Then I could write some smart-ass comment over his head. "Perv-ez" maybe. Oh no, that would be stupid and juvenile. What adult would do that sort of crap? Hmmmmmm.

Posted by: WilliamM | Jul 7, 2009 1:10:51 PM

Unfortunately, Jeremy, you could never be the mainstream media's go-to spokesperson for all teh geigh.
For one thing, you're too reasonable and level-headed. We need to come across as hysterical queers.
For another, we need to look as bad as the other side so they can continue along with their riduculous "but some say" method of reporting and somehow hold on to the ridiculous idea that we don't deserve equality because we can't reign in our ridiculous "people" from cum-scribbling on celebrity photos.

Posted by: Eric | Jul 7, 2009 1:20:34 PM

Jeremy,

Rather than being alone on this, I'd say you are in the company of a lot of gay blogs. Some state their utter contempt for him and some avoid mentioning him whenever possible.

I choose to pretend that he doesn't exist. Even in the Carrie Prejean coverage I ignored Lavandeira and his alterego. He simply was irrelevant to the story.

I don't fault him for seeking to be a self-promoter. Many people today have been successful at confusing promotion with media-worthiness. And he fits a niche of both continuing the pointless celebrity of others and in the process becoming known on his own.

I just don't have any use for those whose claim to fame is being famous. There just isn't much to say about them, so I ignore them. And I certainly don't fool myself into thinking that their opinions have any more validity than, say, a homeless crack addict.

Posted by: Timothy Kincaid | Jul 7, 2009 1:39:10 PM

He is annoying as hell. And for me, the stupid, juvenile temper tantrums are only part of the reason. After the f-word incident, I mostly stopped even looking through the RSS titles.

But another thing that I, personally despise (and maybe it's just me), is his poorly executed literary machinations. His attempt at a simile is to call Los Angeles, "El Lay". (That, in itself, sounds like something of a smack at illegal aliens, but I may be over analyzing) But the one that I really hate is his reference to Prop H8 with his own brand of nonsensicalness, "h8te". What the fuck is that??

But there is solace, though, in that even as many millions of readers as he gets, no one (NO ONE) ever seems to pick up his phrase coinage. So, maybe I really am not the only one who finds him to be too lowbrow.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Jul 7, 2009 1:43:12 PM

The ego on this guy is amazing.
He insults and slurs people right and left. And then, when somebody responds to him in kind, he wants people to sympathize with him cause he was "so filled with hate at that moment because I was hated on so much".
Hilton is reaping what he sows, but expects everybody else to take it in stride, while he throws a temper tantrum ...

As for the Advocate editor, you think people will benefit from getting a look at who Perez really is???
My mind boggles.
The religious right has made an obvious, orchestrated campaign to stereo-type Hilton's behavior onto all gays.
And here "The Advocate" goes, putting Hilton on the front cover and giving him MORE attention...
I used to think the Advocate was a serious gay magazine which touched on important issues of our time. Now, perhaps they are shifting to be more of a gossip rag?
Perhaps they can do some good by HOLDING HILTON ACCOUNTABLE instead of doing a mindless fluff piece.
But I'm not optimistic...

Posted by: foundit66 | Jul 7, 2009 2:52:35 PM

I find him embarrassing. He's like this annoying, abrasive relative you keep having to apologize for in front of your friends.

Posted by: Bill S | Jul 7, 2009 4:51:09 PM

Or rather, he is becoming like a cancerous tumor - if you ignore him, he can do a lot of damage.

He is so indicative of a bread and circuses mentality that could cause the community problems.

Posted by: a. mcewen | Jul 7, 2009 5:32:35 PM

I've been ignoring him. He'll do anything for attention and that he has proved over and over again.

Posted by: Jessica | Jul 28, 2009 7:36:51 PM