RECENT  POSTS:  » POTUS believes in fifty-state equality, happy with way it's playing out » But your subjective view of 'real' marriage is factually irrelevant, Ryan » Flip Benham (yes, their dad) reportedly protesting outside NC weddings » TV's Duggar family continues anti-LGBT activism » Caught ya: Far-right's latest marriage 'victim' edited website to make more solid legal case » Read: Wyoming to become our 32nd marriage equality state » GLAAD: Victory is what happens while you're busy making other plans » What fake victimization sounds like in Arizona » Federal judge strikes Arizona's discriminatory marriage ban; marriages should begin today! » NOM's latest desperation: Relying on hearsay James O'Keefe video to smear Democrat for 'secretly' not opposing equality

07/20/2009

Photo: Faith-based repentance we can get behind

Spotted this weekend in San Diego:

Picture 9-137

One down. An ungodly number more to go.

*More photos and firsthand accounts: San Diego Gay Pride 2009 [OB Rag]

(H/t: Dan Aiello)

I saw this a couple of days ago, and immediately thought that in addition to boldly refuting the lying liar's lies, these are the people that we need to highlight in our ad campaigns to overturn Prop H8. They are uniquely poised to point out each of the duplicitous, hypocritical, disingenuous lies that the liars hurl at us. And in most cases they can't be subjected to the kinds of attacks that we might be susceptible to, because aside from fairness and decency, they don't have any skin in the game.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Jul 20, 2009 3:19:06 PM

This just made my day.

Plus, the graphic design elements in this is simple, yet very effective.

Posted by: Clicky the Fox | Jul 20, 2009 4:00:36 PM

Narrowminded, judgemental, deceptive, manipulative...

Christ has blessed them with the most accurate summary of prop-8 supporters ever.

Posted by: penguinsaur | Jul 20, 2009 5:42:26 PM

It's very hard on some Christians to be considered "intolerant" or "narrow-minded." Many of us want, even need, to be thought of as nice. As followers of Jesus, we should definitely always be kind and loving. But we also have to hold to the truth. God's opinions are freqently unpopular, but they are unchanging. He has labeled homosexual behavior as a sin.

Times like these test Christians -- we aren't being thrown into the coliseum with a lion. We're being labeled as mean. Can we stand up under the pressure?

Posted by: Phoebe | Jul 20, 2009 5:44:58 PM

Phoebe, what you consider a sin is not the same thing as what a secular government is supposed to consider to be protected behavior. What is narrow-minded of far too many of you is the desire to allow your individual opinions about spirituality to rule in a government that is not founded on your opinions. I don't care what your preachers say from the pulpit UNTIL he exhorts you to deny me civil rights based on your "gospel". How good is the news that you are expected to speak poorly of others and spread lies? That is what you do against queers when you campaign against same-sex marriage. Keep your church's opinions in the pews. Let the secular government take care of its people. That's all I ask.

Posted by: Blue Raven | Jul 20, 2009 5:53:18 PM

MG Church is a hip, postmodern church. They took out a billboard back in November with this same message on it. Or maybe this is the same billboard. I don't know. I corresponded with the pastor after this first made news. He's a good guy and doing an important work. They got alot of hate mail back in November. I don't know if this pic is making its way around the internet again or what but i'm sure they'll get more hate.

I recommend emailing them a word of thanks...
www.missiongathering.com

Posted by: Pomo | Jul 20, 2009 5:58:11 PM

"God's opinions are freqently unpopular, but they are unchanging. He has labeled homosexual behavior as a sin."

"As a general rule, Christian Identity followers adhere to the traditional orthodox Christian views on the role of women, abortion, and homosexuality, and view racial miscegenation as a sin and a violation of God's laws"

"and view racial miscegenation as a sin and a violation of God's laws"

"view racial miscegenation as a sin"

PS: future christians will have an easier time disowning you exactly like you disowned the racists if you stop pretending ALL christians agree with you.

Posted by: penguinsaur | Jul 20, 2009 6:08:07 PM

Phoebe, there are religions that believe that eating pork makes you unclean. There are others that believe that if you don't bow three times every day and pray to Mecca, that you are failing god. There are still others who worship cows, and refuse to kill ants, and the list of lunacy goes on and on. Do you want us to enforce, as CIVIL law, every one of those STUPID notions? If not, then how dare you ever expect that one of your stupid notions should be enacted as a law that I have to OBEY. FUCK YOU.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Jul 20, 2009 6:14:47 PM

Well that's jolly nice of them, and they do indeed have a good eye for design.

Posted by: PM | Jul 20, 2009 6:33:01 PM

Oh Dick... you should learn to have a civil conversation without resorting to calling names and using profanity. It makes you sound more intelligent. Religious practices do not equate to lunacy. As a person of faith I take offense at that. Your words are the very things that make Christians people all gay people think as you do. Just like Focus on the Family and National Org for Marriage make gay people think that all Christians act like that.

Posted by: Pomo | Jul 20, 2009 7:03:54 PM

The picture was taken by one of our staffers, Wireless Mike, who attended San Diego Gay Pride last Saturday. I have to say of all the pictures he took that day this one really struck a chord. Thanks for picking it up and spreading the word.

Posted by: Patty Jones | Jul 20, 2009 7:19:08 PM

Thank *you*, Patty! It's a great one.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 20, 2009 7:51:20 PM

Pomo, what name did I call anyone? Calling lunacy a stupid notion isn't name calling?? And, I am beyond civil conversation with these lying liars. I am not attempting to force my beliefs on them, and I demand that they not do it to me. And, if that means telling them to fuck off, then I will tell them to fuck off. I NEVER apologize for getting angry at these assholes. And, I don't care if anyone thinks that makes me seem less intelligent. What other people might "think" about me is of absolutely no concern to me.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Jul 20, 2009 8:02:56 PM

Jeremy, check out the church's web site, they have a great homepage graphic bearing the headline "God takes PRIDE in you", there is an interesting color scheme to the design, it looks a bit like a rainbow...
From what I briefly read on the web site I suspect they might not be comfortable with being called a "church", I suspect FOF, et al, would say they are trying to redefine the word "church"

Posted by: Bob Miller | Jul 20, 2009 11:22:04 PM

Maybe thats why he calls himself Dick. Its just poor strategy, you can rip apart every single point an idiot makes but say one fuck, dumbass, dipshit, etc. and suddenly he can whine about how rude your being and everyone will forget about anything else you said.

Posted by: penguinsaur | Jul 20, 2009 11:29:14 PM

Thanks for linking to the OB Rag. The sign in the picture was onboard a float presented by Missiongathering Christian Church. Their website is here: http://www.missiongathering.com/

The churches and synagogues that participated in the San Diego Pride Parade included: Metropolitan Community Church, First Lutheran Church of San Diego, University Christian Church, Saint John the Beloved Cathedral, All Saints Parish American Catholic Church, Swedenborgian Church of San Diego, Missiongathering Christian Church, Unitarian Universalists of Greater San Diego, St. Paul's Cathedral (Episcopal), Pilgrim Church UCC, Christ Chapel World Ministries, Mission Hills United Church of Christ, Congregation Dor Hadash, Congregation Beth Israel, Congregation Beth El and Temple Emanu-El. A few blocks away, St. Paul’s Cathedral had a large rainbow flag draped from the building.

It was heartening to see this outpouring of support for gay rights from churches and synagogues at such a high-profile event. We are gaining some powerful allies in our fight for equal rights and dignity, especially here in conservative San Diego.

Posted by: Wireless Mike | Jul 21, 2009 12:14:18 AM

Phoebe, Homophobia is a sin like lying, stealing and murder. God hates sin. As a Christian gay man, I urge you to repent and seek deliverance from homophobia instead of trying to justify your sin. God will heal you if you ask. It has worked for thousands and thousands of others. See the movie, "Tears For Bobby" for one example.

Posted by: Michael | Jul 21, 2009 6:09:43 AM

Phoebe,

"God in ineffable, unknowable. The only thing we can say with certainty is that He shares my opinions."

Please stop.

TRiG.

Posted by: Timothy (TRiG) | Jul 21, 2009 12:50:24 PM

I think my link in my previous post didn't appear, so here it is again. (I attempted to link on the word "stop".)

TRiG.