RECENT  POSTS:  » Apple CEO gives 'substantial' sum to HRC's southern state project; may or may not have used ApplePay » Conservative proposes new way for vendors to tell gay customers they don't care for them » NOM versus David Koch » Anti-equality baseball player calls reporter 'a prick' for asking about his anti-equality advocacy » Audio: Josh Duggar defends discrimination, invalidates own point » Audio: AFA's Fischer names 'homosexual agenda' as 'greatest threat to liberty' in American history » Audio: AFA Radio caller calls for executing gays; FRC-employed host doesn't even challenge him, much less condemn » NOM president's other organization is 'in trouble' (his words) too » FRC prays to take LGBT Americans out of nondiscrimination law » In lieu of typing 'Look how desperate we are' over and over again, NOM president wrote this instead

08/19/2009

Audio: This 'culture war' is all fun and games until someone seeks to execute you

Steven-AndersonFeeling good about America's seemingly growing acceptance of LGBT people, even among people of deep faith? Yea? Well here, let us ruin that for you.

These lil' bits o' theological charm come from Steven L. Anderson, a Baptist preacher based in Tempe, AZ. If you're a gay decent person, be prepared to be appalled. If you're Barney Frank, be prepared to prepare a defamation lawsuit:

*MANY, MANY MORE: Faithful Word Baptist Church

*UPDATE: MSNBC picks up on this, highlighting Stephen's claim that he "is gonna pray for Barack Obama to die and go to hell..so that our country can be saved."

*UPDATE2: More audio clips, plus evidence that Stephen spoke at his local TEA party: Steven Laid Bare [G-A-Y]

Give it a rest with 'sounds good in the original German.' Spare me the constant Germany bashing.

It's easier to live as a gay man in Germany these days than in the United States.

Germany learned from its past--today, I can marry a man here. Save for a few states in the US, I do not enjoy the same legal status.

Posted by: Tarek Ibrahi | Aug 20, 2009 8:33:17 AM

As a Christian this is the most insulting thing I've ever heard in a long time. I simply do not understand preachers like Anderson who want to focus on such trivialities such as sexual orientation and not on helping the poor. I suppose the 100 Bible verses or whatever that he's memorized weren't any statements Jesus made since Jesus seemed to care more about those who were persecuted, poor and outcast than the supposed "gay agenda."

And as far as Sodom and Gomorrah goes Anderson's the one who should take heed. Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed because of their lack of hospitality and willingness to serve, not because of homosexuality. This passage in the Bible has been twisted so many times that people can't get it straight any more.

Oh, and if he's so up in arms about the lack of reproduction within gay relationships, he'd probably be mad at Jesus, too. Don't recall him having any offspring...

Posted by: Annie | Aug 20, 2009 10:36:17 AM

"Gay" means "happy" or "joyful," eh? Doesn't "faggot" mean a bundle of sticks? I mean, as long as we're talking etymology here, let's get it right.

Posted by: Brian | Aug 20, 2009 10:54:33 AM

I think it's hysterical that his church uses ONLY the King James Bible. King James was a homosexual.

Posted by: Christopher | Aug 20, 2009 12:13:39 PM

Sickening! What's really scary is how tolerated this sort of speech has become. These anti-Christians (mostly white, poorly educated, Limbaugh-following, mouth breathers) are following their high priestess, Sarah Palin, in saying horrible things under the guise of "free speech." They are terrified of women, minorities, gays, change. They want the world back to white guy land. And they're realizing that train has left the station. Whatever happened to the Age of Aquarius?

Posted by: Bryn Collins | Aug 20, 2009 1:20:17 PM

This guy could be your neighbour. His children are being raised to hate.

Posted by: Ricky Barnes | Aug 21, 2009 10:05:06 AM

Have you read his rant on Gynecologists? He writes: "Because of years and years of looking at and touching scores of women inappropriately, the male gynecologist no doubt has a seared conscience and a perverted mind"

He also writes: "Any doctor that looks upon and touches a woman’s private parts in his office “hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” Sir, if you let your wife go to a male gynecologist, you need to get right with God."

You cannot make this stuff up. I am puzzled anyone could be this religious about that bible and not have some mental disease that is clouding judgment.

Posted by: Joe Brummer | Aug 21, 2009 10:57:21 AM

he knows alot of gays? Really? Wow - he sounds like Hitler talking about the "Dirty Jews".....sick sick man....99.9% of lGBT people come from Hetoerosexual people.

Posted by: Disgusted American | Aug 21, 2009 11:04:04 AM

wow. I am a pastor in Memphis, TN. My brother sent me this link and I am appalled. I apologize to anyone who hears this. This is not the message of Jesus Christ. He is taking scripture (when he uses it) and removing it from its context and losings its actual meaning. You are loved. I am sorry.

Posted by: Grant | Aug 21, 2009 2:24:31 PM

A commenter over at Pam's House Blend posted this: http://sanderson1611.blogspot.com/2009/04/pastor-steven-l-anderson-beaten-tazed.html There's a youtube video of the incident at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJF5cUWXA_A Despite all his hatefulness, I found it hard to watch.

Posted by: Jason | Aug 21, 2009 3:12:30 PM

This guy is so sick it is unbelievable. How can someone have so much hate inside? I went to his wife's blog and became sad when I saw their children there knowing they will be brought up in a hate-filled home.

Posted by: Dana Lane | Aug 21, 2009 3:21:29 PM

BTW, does anyone know if law enforcement was contacted? He is basically telling his congregation god wants them to kill gays.

Posted by: Dana Lane | Aug 21, 2009 3:23:51 PM

Sorry, Rev. Anderson, being a pastor involves more than reading Leviticus and Romans (anyways, his interpretations of the two are faulty in the extreme, as Leviticus (in its original greek and hebrew) seems to refer to ritualised temple prostitution practiced by the Canaanites and Mesopotamians, while Romans refers to institutionalised pederasty. Anyways, Christ said we didn't need to follow the Levitican Holiness Codes, since His covenant superceded that of Moses). Try reading up on the main protagonist... I can assure you He sends a different message.

Posted by: T. Morley | Aug 21, 2009 3:50:27 PM

This man is dangerous. He is enciting violence against gays and the President. Has ANYONE reported him to the FBI or the Homeland Security?

Posted by: Sammie | Aug 21, 2009 4:21:13 PM

It is morons like the Rev that make me proud to be an athiest.

Posted by: Gerry | Aug 21, 2009 4:44:20 PM

The Bibile also tells us to stone "usurers" to death; when this Bozo calls for death to the wallstreet bankers I will listen. Until then, let his own words judge him when/if we find him later with meth, diapers & male prostitutes!

Posted by: Lipschitz | Aug 21, 2009 5:07:15 PM

It is easy to make silly jokes, but this is trult the most frightening thing I have ever heard in my entire life.

Posted by: Bill | Aug 21, 2009 5:43:29 PM

Does anyone know the size of the congregation that he brainwashes every week? Are they all family members? Just imagine what kind of people would actually choose to be members of his church.

Posted by: Richard Rush | Aug 21, 2009 7:30:44 PM

He's also against male gynocologists, considering them perverts, and claims that using birth control pills is the same as undergoing an abortion. I doubt that he'll be even on Glenn Beck anytime soon.

Posted by: Anna | Aug 21, 2009 9:11:58 PM

When this hate filled, bible-thumping idiot includes "usurers" in his list of people to "kill" in the name of his "God" I'll listen to the rest of his nonsense.I won't believe it but I'll listen ( then puke ). It amazes me that anyone can read the bible ( or Koran, Torah, etc. ) and come away with a message of hate & intolerance. But he obviously missed the part where lending money for interest is punishable by stoning. Wouldn't that be a treat for wallstreet?

Posted by: Lipschitz | Aug 21, 2009 9:13:51 PM

Is it wrong that I think he's sort of cute? I'm positive he's closeted, maybe he wouldn't mind me showing him the ropes.

Posted by: Peanut Gallery | Aug 21, 2009 10:32:52 PM

First of all there is no such thing as a "Gay Christian" and second of all shame on the so called "pastors" that replied here!
Repent, Jesus loves you!

Posted by: youRgay | Aug 22, 2009 4:23:12 AM

This dork is the asshole who posted videos of himself in an empty musical organ showroom full of fire, brimstone and bullshit. There is no one else in the video, a big mouth with an empty head preaching to an empty room.
This punk ass preacher is going to have his head handed to him.

Posted by: John Ozed | Aug 22, 2009 10:00:12 AM

This guy is so lost, it's amazing that media has stooped so low as to cover his sermon. Let me know when he is thrown in prison so he can experience sodomy (but there may be a chance that he has already - and was so scared because he liked it!)

Posted by: baptists are hatemongers | Aug 22, 2009 11:36:01 AM

"This guy is so lost, it's amazing that media has stooped so low as to cover his sermon"

Highlighting/challenging this stuff is what we do at this site. No stoop.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Aug 22, 2009 11:46:30 AM

WOW! This guy reproduced omg. I feel for his children who will have MAJOR issues as they get older. This guy is a walking talking lunatic. I wonder what he will do when he realizes one of his children is gay. The poor kid will probably kill himself.

Posted by: keith | Aug 22, 2009 3:50:40 PM

He looks uncannily like Timothy McVeigh....I guess he would have no problem blowing up a whole building full of homosexuals

Posted by: james | Aug 23, 2009 4:22:02 AM

wow, what an uplifting church ... I bet they're really reaching people.

Posted by: Kelly | Aug 24, 2009 2:34:48 AM

Well, I guess we've been told.

Note to self: way below recruiting quota this year, toaster in danger, get to work.

Posted by: Sandy | Aug 24, 2009 6:36:52 PM

Hey Pastor - God punishes everyone with the death penalty sooner or later. The problems start when alleged humans, like this distortion, get the idea they have the right to administer that 'penalty' here on Earth. There are many religious zealots around the world as awful as this argument for abortion, and they all seem to have gone insane with power and fear. This fear is always expressed with violence against others, or those whom these "holy people" consider to be "others". The violence can be as small as a young boy hung on a fence in Wyoming or as large as a jet hitting a skyscraper.

Posted by: Loonesta | Aug 24, 2009 7:12:06 PM