RECENT  POSTS:  » NOM spends six figures on North Carolina's Hagan/Tillis US Senate race » Idaho wedding venue can be discriminatory so long as it sticks to new business model » Sunday in Houston: Activists mad that churches were noted for their politicization head to a church—to politicize » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists'

09/05/2009

Audio: Libby-eration

Libby-PhelpsWe don't know how it's possible that this revelatory interview from a March episode of Kansas City's "Church of Lazlo Show" has managed to go unnoticed by this and every other LGBT media outlet for the past five months. But when it comes to both undiscovered mp3s or freeing your life from your family's extremist clenches, we say better late than never:

*Source: Friday, March 27th 2009 [Church of Lazlo's blog]
(h/t: Skomand)

Someone give this girl a book deal, pronto!

Holy Emancipation Batman! All it took was a "God Hates Bikinis" edict to cause one of the faithful to question the cult. After the de-programming effect of a few of those concerts, and maybe she will come to realize that god doesn't hate fags either... stranger things have happened.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Sep 6, 2009 12:30:28 AM

Wow! Good for her. And it does seem stange that this hasn't surfaced before. I wish her all the good things that life has to offer. And after a little time to get more perspective, I wish her that book deal.

Posted by: ColdCountry | Sep 6, 2009 11:58:42 AM

This makes me smile. No if only more of them would realize the hypocrisy. Now lets leave this girl alone. She needs time to figure out who she is and what she believes.

Posted by: Piper | Sep 6, 2009 7:24:00 PM

How do you find all these? The different things, like this MP3 I mean.

Posted by: Alex Cheney | Sep 6, 2009 7:41:43 PM

Pure gold. Thanks for this.

Posted by: LdChino | Sep 7, 2009 7:56:34 AM

Good for her!

Posted by: Wild Gift | Sep 7, 2009 12:55:51 PM

Jeremy-

Who's daughter is she? She's not Shirley's right?

She seems super chipper about this whole scenerio...like way laid back considering her family is disowning her.

But seriously, GOOD for her. It's funny how it just takes such small things -the bikini and the people from Spain - to realize how much you've missed out on and how much there is out there.

She reminds me a little bit of the interview with Miley Cryus...a little too giggly...kinda weird.

I would love to hear more of her story...great find Jeremy!

Posted by: Stef | Sep 7, 2009 3:16:44 PM

Stef: She's Fred Jr.'s daughter. So Shirley's her aunt.

I actually chatted with Shirley over the weekend. She had little to say about Libby, but did intimate that there is some sort of "secret" underlying all this. Shirley's aware of this post -- if she wants to say more, she can do so herself.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Sep 7, 2009 7:53:21 PM

That was back in March, do you have any idea how she is doing now. It's incredibly difficult to break from any kind of mind-control org and it's made especially difficult when "god" is thrown into the mix. The girl's gonna need a lot of really strong support around her, which, hopefully she has.

Posted by: Jonathan | Sep 8, 2009 6:40:03 PM

Go, Libby! Those who know what you've been through will be right behind your decision to break free! Chin up, kid-if there is a God, I'm sure he's not the ogre your family thinks he is.

Posted by: Francoise | Sep 21, 2009 7:31:43 AM

Those delighted giggles tell me one thing- Libby has had sex. If so, no wonder she sees the world through different eyes!

Posted by: Helene | Sep 23, 2009 7:41:50 AM

Hey Libby Phelps if you ever read this don't suffer in silence. Finding fellowship will be tough especially with your history. You should look these up:

GospelHouse.info - www.onlyonewayup.com/contact_us.html

OPBC Email: oldpaths@blueriver.net (Old Paths Baptist Church Campbellsburg, IN) That little church that Westboro parted company from 8 or 9 years ago. Good people btw!

Posted by: Brell Huewit | Nov 11, 2009 9:59:30 AM

The link to the interview doesnt work! Anyone has this interview?? Please please please???

Posted by: Pedro | Nov 18, 2009 1:14:21 AM

Pedro: "The Church of Lazlo Show" seems to have deleted it. Weird, since they were getting lots of traffic for it.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 18, 2009 11:07:46 AM

Since the link doesn't work any more, does anyone know/remember the details of why Libby left WBC?

More power to her for doing so; but, frankly, given her past vociferous verbal abuse of anyone not believing as WBC does, I'm astonished that she managed enough independent thought to actually leave.

Posted by: Melinda Holley | Nov 23, 2009 3:42:43 PM

I started wearing a bikini and they got mad at me, so I got out while I could, but then afterwards, they figured out I had been sleeping around (oops!) :)

Posted by: Libby Phelps | Dec 5, 2009 11:11:20 PM

I could not download or stream the Libby Phelps interview. Can I get a copy of it?

Posted by: Dan | Dec 29, 2009 11:00:35 AM

Dan: The radio program that conducted the interview has pulled their audio. I've written them to see if there's another copy, but haven't received a response.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Dec 29, 2009 12:07:25 PM

Libby. If that is really you posting i would just like to personally say how impressed i am at your strength and ability to break free from WBC. I think it shows incredible bravery and on behalf of the world of tolerant people I welcome you. I am extremely interested in hearing your story and would love any chance to speak with you about it. My email is mlahooti@gmail.com Please feel free to email me or check out my website for my info

www.thedoorpost.com/maziarlahooti