RECENT  POSTS:  » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists' » In which another anti-gay group forces politicos to Gladys Kravitz our way into one family's divorce drama » In 2008, the AFA was the same on LGBT rights as President Obama; and I was a flying unicorn » The Hitching Post plot thickens in a truly remarkable way » On Rivka, Robert and their dirty, self-victimizing, anti-intellectual blame game » POTUS believes in fifty-state equality, happy with way it's playing out

10/26/2009

Vote like an Eagle?

Dear Folks at Good As You:

My dad, a guy who rattled around far to the right on many issues, died in 2000 in Florida. I still get financial solicitations for him at my address in Maine some nine (9) years later (I was his personal representative/executor). Old right wingers never die, apparently--at least financially.

I mention this because I got one c/o the pater from Phyllis Schlafly and her Eagle Forum dated October, 2009. This was not a request for money, but for a YES vote on one. Phyllis claims that Obama's speech to HRC and promise to work to repeal Federal DOMA "would effectively impose on the entire nation Massachusetts' redefinition of marriage." She finishes by writing, "So when you vote on November 3rd, please vote YES on Question 1."

Voter solicitation of a dead person who was never a Maine resident probably isn't illegal, but it's a clear example of thorough-minded, direct mail politicking from out of state.

Yes. Yes it certainly is an example of the exact form of out-of-state assistance for which Stand For Marriage Maine is constantly accusing of national gays.

And unlike this eagle, nobody has to fear that any of our side's out-of-state help is going to sh*t on anyone's head.

**THE LETTER:

(click to view)
Eaglet

A friend of mine received this phone call: "Hi, my name is Mary and I'm from Brunswick. I am calling about equality here in Maine," and then launched into a spiel for Yes on 1. It's very misleading since the No on 1 campaign is "Protect Maine Equality." My friend was furious but before she could let Mary have it with both barrels, Mary hung up on her.

I have a feeling when this campaign is over, a whole lot of ugly stuff will come out. Fortunately, because we are going to win, the ugly stuff will be revealed for what it is and hopefully, we can put a stop to this in other states.

No on 1!

L

Posted by: Leslie | Oct 26, 2009 11:49:39 AM

Go Leslie, hope you and many others are making your own calls!

Posted by: LOrion | Oct 26, 2009 1:46:46 PM

Yes, I phonebanked 4 nights last week, scheduled for 2 nights this week (I have to work at the Free Clinic on the other nights), a leadership meeting on Wed, then canvassing starts on the weekend. I am taking Election Day off and am scheduled for 6 am til 8 pm. I have a feeling I'll be exhausted next week...

Posted by: Leslie | Oct 26, 2009 2:31:02 PM

Different subject, same BS:

My wife and I moved from MA to GA to help take care of her father. Although he is conservative in many areas, he does believe in equal rights & the right to choose.

An anti-abortion group called one day trying to get a donation from my father-in-law. He told them he believed in some types of abortion to which the woman said, "Oh! We do too!" JUST after she had just finished saying she was calling from a Christian Anti-Abortion organization who sought to ban ALL abortions.

Even when he said "No!" to giving the fakes any money, they sent several mailings urging him to be a "good Christian" and donate to ban abortions.

God must really be shaking his head in disbelief over these type of people.

Posted by: WSpencer | Oct 26, 2009 2:39:48 PM

I saw a bumper sticker this weekend that said "Protect Marriage". I want to create another that says "Want to Really Protect Marriage? Outlaw Divorce". Let's see how many of the right-wing would support that.

Posted by: Bill | Oct 26, 2009 3:43:32 PM

Considering that Massachusetts has both marriage equality and the country's lowest divorce rate, we might all be better off if their "redefinition" of marriage became the national norm.

Posted by: Rachel Snyder | Oct 26, 2009 9:18:02 PM

Guys, the latest poll (and you know how I hate polls) shows us with a lead, and pulling away from the lying liars! I hate to get my hopes up, and I hate polls that show us ahead (they could make us complacent), but for some reason I don't hate this poll.

Even if the Gagger takes out a second (or third) on that Westchester (if I'm remembering correctly) house that the Srivastavs live in, she may not be able buy this one. And, here's to hoping that she ends up being the next indicted money launderer!

Posted by: Dick Mills | Oct 27, 2009 1:03:04 AM