RECENT  POSTS:  » Miami-Dade Circuit judge rules state marriage ban unconstitutional; stays ruling » Video: With marriage equality, Texas could put in a pool at the Alamo » CWA ably demonstrates ludicrousness of American Christian right's persecution complex » Video: CBS News hosts '50 Years Later, Civil Rights;' includes marriage equality, obviously » Audio: White House? Nah. But in race for most anti-gay House member, Bachmann a strong contender » Brian Brown is the victim, y'all. How many times does he have to tell you? » Congrats, gay activists—Bryan Fischer has found new group for his weekly 'Nazi' branding » Maggie Gallagher: Sexual orientation is 'more akin to religion' than to race » NOM is totally popular (*in Ethiopia) » What constitutes 'absolute pure evil' in the eyes of Liberty University dean?

11/03/2009

Live from the Portland Holiday Inn, it's Maine's night to make history grave historical error

Photo-197:21PM: Cautious optimism in the Maine party room. Bloggers a'bloggin'. Staffers a nail-bitin'. Jeremy on first glass of Merlot.

7:36PM: Rex Wockner has a shot of the bloggers table, as well as his own live coverage.

7:44PM: Bangor Daily News has us up. Oh, but only after 51 votes have been counted:

Screen Shot 2009-11-03 At 7.45.19 Pm-2

8:04PM: Allow me to say that Jenna Lowenstein from National Stonewall Democrats rocks my socks. One to watch, folks.

8:14PM: Bob McDonnell wins in Virginia. New Jersey limited to Corzine/Christie, but too close to call. Nothing here in Maine except nerves.

8:23PM: The band's certainly festive:

8:32PM: Live stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/no-on-1-protect-maine-equality:

Streaming live video by Ustream

9:02PM: Kalamazoo, MI, an apparent win! And by a huge 65%-35% number!!!

9:05PM
: Cute photo ops at the Maine party:

Photo-21

Still waiting to hear about the real thing. Signs looking promising!!!

9:10PM: BDN has 54%-45% breakdown, our favor. 5% reporting.

9:15PM: I can honestly say that I have never been in a more excited room of pro-equality people in my life. Nobody is here to pose. Nobody is here to drink. Every last person is here to win!

9:21PM: Oy. 52%-47%, still our favor. 14% in. We hear Lewiston went against us hard (60-40)

9:27PM: According to the campaign, we lost Lisbon, 34% no to 66% yes. That's Maine, not Portugal, for those who are keeping up ;-)

9:29PM: We've apparently won Bangor, in the 54%-46% ballpark. BangHim still unreported.

9:57PM: Per the campaign: Scarborough goes our way, 54%-46%. That's the city, not Joe, for those of you keeping up ;-)

10:02PM: Waterville votes NO on 1 54 % to 46%; NO on 1 takes the town of York 63% to 37%! Both courtesy of @noon1maine.

10:09PM: Chris Christie wins New Jersy. Yes, the same Chris Christie who wants marriage to remain Chris/Christie.

10:10PM: Kennebunkport: 61%-39%, us.

10:16PM: One of my neighbors here is Dana from The Advocate. She's super sweet, and her live feed is here.

10:20PM: Rex Wockner drinks Argentine Malbec. For those wishing to send him a holiday gift.

10:21PM: From @adamjbink: We won Auburn 51.5-48.5%! That's part of the Lewiston-Auburn metro area, heavily Catholic. Vastly different than Lewiston which we lost 60-40%.

10:28PM: And for the first time tonight, we're down:

Screen Shot 2009-11-03 At 10.27.20 Pm-1

That's not great, for those keeping up.

10:33PM: Solmonese (HRC) and Carey (NGLTF) speaking now. Not gonna lie, both leaders made considerable strides to have human-to-human conversations with anyone in sight.

10:39PM: Portland came in for us in a HUGE way. 7240 yes, 19,975 NO!!!!!!! Proud to be right here, contributing to this fair-minded economy.

10:51PM: While at the bar with John Aravosis, met the biggest fan of Good As You ever. Sweet, genuine energy in this room.

10:52PM: From my bloggy neighbor Rex Wockner: Gays: 50.1%. Anti-gays: 49.9%. 44% of precincts reporting. We are battling a crashy election-results Web site combined with a maxed out Internet pipeline to the Holiday Inn.

11:19PM: In other news: Out lesbian Annise Parker up in Houston mayoral race, 30.5%-25.9. Runoff seems likely

11:20PM: North Haven votes NO! 69% to 31%

11:25PM: Westbrook numbers are in: 55% NO, 45% yes

11:42PM: Not gonna lie, the tone of this room has changed a bit. It's close, but we're down. I've seen tears.

12:09AM: I'm looking at the happy, dancing couples here downstairs. I'm worried for the news that I fear is coming their way.

12:22AM: Jesse Connolly about to speak. I have nothing happy to report. Sorry.

12:37AM: Connolly non-concedes. But, uhm. Yea. Video forthcoming.

12:50AM: Connolly:

1:24AM: We likely won't know Washington state's R-71 fight for a few days. But it's promising.

200911040211-1

Although No on 1 made some mistakes, they did almost everything very well. If this winds up being a 1 or 2 percent loss, then they might console themselves that it was an off-year election and that they would have won if the vote had been next year. However, if it is a 4+ percent loss, then at that point we need to consider the possibility that there is just no way to reach 50% plus 1 at this time outside of a few places like DC and maybe MA.

We may just have to wait for the inevitable demographic shift as the sea of grey that passed Q1 tonight goes to the grave. In 10 years, the majority of the most ardent Q1 cohort will be dead and the less ardent cohort will be substantially thinned, all replaced by young people who support us 2-1. Unfortunately, that won't be until 2019. See you then!

Posted by: David | Nov 4, 2009 12:24:01 AM

Mills writes- "These numbers are looking eerily like Prop H8 numbers! 24% of precincts are still out, and we are back by 18000 votes"

This victory is directly related to the very public opposition to my parental rights. The court case "Parker vs Hurley" was used with stunning efficacy in Californis....and now in Maine. My previous court loss is now a huge victory across the nation- for the democratic process- for parental rights.

David Parker

(you may continue to edit my comments on your blog - but the true can not long be edited out)

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 12:30:49 AM

Do these numbers include absentee ballots? I read somewhere that they would make or break this... is that true? Or just wishful thinking on somebody's part?

Posted by: fuzzypony | Nov 4, 2009 12:36:02 AM

I have felt your sadness. I have tasted the bitterness that you taste now - I too was brought to tears for my children, my family, that was forced from the Lexington school system. The court told us to SEGREGATE ourselves from the "public" schools. Imagine the hurt of my family went through---the hurt of my children -- while you celebrated and gloated.

Again -- I understand your hurt. My whole family has been in the place you are now at -- and I feel for you.

Why do you continue to edit my comments?

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 12:37:56 AM

The last comment cleared on your blog was 12:11. It is now 12:42 and my comments have not appeared. This is your "freedom of speech"?!!

David Parker

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 12:42:42 AM

-Comments are moderated for one reason and one reason only: So that the writer (can edit?) at our discresion every one and interact with his readers. Under no circumstances will any disagreement, opinion, or viewpoint be disallowed simply because we don't agree with its merits--Prove it.

David Parker

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 12:47:50 AM

David Parker, with all due respect: What the ever loving fuck are you talking about? All of your comments are here, in full!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 4, 2009 12:53:44 AM

Does anyone know what this guy Davis Parker is talking about? All of his comments are here and what is this stuff about gloating at his loss of parental rights?

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 4, 2009 1:02:08 AM

Yes. I see the comments now at 1:00 am. I appreciate, and respect that - I am not used to such a long delay. In addition, there is no need to curse - It is mean spirited, vulgar, and diminishes your ability to communicate.

David Parker

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:03:37 AM

Patrick, Parker was allegedly the plaintiff in the MA court case that resulted in the completely BS meme about gay marriage being taught in school.

To lighten the mood, I will provide one of my favorite video game quotes;

"Why is it that whenever somebody says with all due respect, what they really mean is 'kiss my ass'?"

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Nov 4, 2009 1:20:36 AM

With all due respect Mr. Parker you have absolutely no idea what we feel... you and your family have never been told you are less than human, that you are nothing but perverts and child molesters... you have never felt the pain of being rejected by your parents for something you have no control over... you have no idea the pain of being told over and over again that you don't deserve the same rights as all your straight neighbors... you have no idea what it feels like to be able to lose your job, housing, and your life because you love a certain gender... you have no idea what its like to continually listen to people use the word faggot and direct at you just because they're afraid of the fact that you are different.... you have absolutely no idea what is like for us so stop trying to act like you do

Posted by: Joe | Nov 4, 2009 1:22:34 AM

Patrick---

Take a gander.

David Parker

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:22:58 AM

David Parker, dude, it says that comments will be read by the moderator... and the moderator is *busy*! Take a pill, buddy.

Also, there's this thing called separation of church and state, which means we don't teach religious beliefs in state-sponsored schools in the US. Diversity and equality being civil rights issues rather than religious ones, their teaching in public schools is not precluded. Teaching segregation and exclusion on the basis of a religious text, however, is. If you disagree, put your kids in private or home schooling.

I don't want *my* kids learning the intolerance that your religion preaches.

Posted by: fuzzypony | Nov 4, 2009 1:26:40 AM

Take a further gander...

David Parker

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:26:53 AM

To David:

Your first comment showed up 7 minutes after you posted it, not at 1 am.

"Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 12:18:22 AM"

Also, you may want to at least post a link to a story or some relative information regarding your claims of us "segregating" you and your family and of us happy about your loss of parental rights. Otherwise, many of us (if not all of us) will continue to have no idea what you are referring to.

Posted by: Jess B. | Nov 4, 2009 1:28:53 AM

Folks, based on the info I have (IP address, etc) I would be shocked if this person is actually David Parker. Could be. But I doubt it.

He clearly wants to start something, and frankly, I'm in no mood. Feed it if you want, but I'm not gonna.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 4, 2009 1:29:06 AM

And in the interest of balanced reporting- here is how "the other side of the issue" reports it...

David Parker

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:30:31 AM

Mr. Parker, or whatever your real name his, linking to an SPLC certified hate group is an excellent way to annihilate your credibility. Now I will ignore you. I'm already in a fibro flare up and I will not be making it worse by adding more stress than necessary.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Nov 4, 2009 1:34:02 AM

parker, you haven't "won" anything tonight. You and the lying liars that you associate with, have proven once more that it is really easy to trick people into exercising your hatred toward others. The numbers are not all in yet, but we will probably also find that the older and the less intelligent are also the ones most likely to listen to your lies, just like in California. And, that, as more time passes, the likelihood of continued success for you and your cadre of lying liars will decrease as well.

We put a lot of effort into this campaign, as we did in California. And we will continue to do exactly the same thing until we prevail. And none of your gloating will ever stop us.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Nov 4, 2009 1:40:32 AM

Joe writes- "you have absolutely no idea what is like for us so stop trying to act like you do"

The fact is -- I do! Do you really know my background...my back story?

Those things you mentioned you have gone through DO hurt me. They hurt me a great deal.

G-A-Y: I am David Parker. I don't want to start a fight - I want to start a mutual understanding. I will be making an attempt to reach out to those with same-sex attraction in the coming year. Call me crazy - but I can't see how my side can claim to extend love to your side without even attempting to communicate.

Dave

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:41:15 AM

I took a nap back at the 70,000 range...I come back and it doesn't look good...I'm guessing the fight's over now right? Those monsters beat us?

Posted by: Jake | Nov 4, 2009 1:42:31 AM

RainbowPhoenix:

When we assert that someone or group are "haters" or "bigots" - It is simply a dehumanizing substitute for the derogatory word f-g--t for those with same sex attraction. Both are wrong -- this name calling is not productive.

Dave

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:47:11 AM

Right, so I ask you you are and in return you link to the website of a Hate Group? I think that answers the question David. Do you really have nothing better to do than come kick sand in our faces on this of all nights? Are you really THAT callous? wow...

Posted by: Patrick | Nov 4, 2009 1:51:43 AM

"Mr. Parker, or whatever your real name his, linking to an SPLC certified hate group is an excellent way to annihilate your credibility."

Interesting way to rationalize ignoring information. Is 'LexingtonCares' a hate group? I can tell you first hand -- many of them have told me (and their children)they hate me. I still listen to their point-of-view.

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 1:51:48 AM

All right David, I said I'd ignore you, but I need to vent.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Nov 4, 2009 1:55:34 AM

Mr. Parker:

I appreciate your posting here. I also respect the fact that you had a legitimate parental and religious beef with a lesson plan that a single school in MA taught your kid. I also can appreciate the frustration of losing the litigation against an unresponsive school bureaucracy.

What I can't understand is how you could allow your dispute to be so dishonestly used in these political campaigns. You know very well that the kind of curriculum dispute that you had with your kid's school has happened for decades on a variety of issues, whether that be sex ed, drug prevention, evolution, or anything involving gays. This sort of dispute has been around long before anyone ever heard of gay marriage. Your dispute was not caused by MA's marriage law and if MA had never adopted same sex marriage, it wouldn't have prevented your kid's school from teaching the exact lesson that offended you. There is no causal relationship between the two and it is flat-out lie to tell people that they will prevent schools from mentioning gay relationships by prohibiting gay adults from marrying.

You and the Wirthlins willingly allow yourselves and your families to be exploited to promote a lie in order to hurt adults who want to marry. I really don't understand how you are OK with that.

Posted by: David | Nov 4, 2009 1:57:03 AM

While I find it doubtful this is David Parker (but nice copy of his martyr routine)...

Sorry, but tea parties are not called for. Precise and accurate language is. The biggest problem No on 1 had was that they played too nice, and didn't show how utterly vile and immoral Stand For Marriage Maine really was.

Posted by: Tommy | Nov 4, 2009 2:02:22 AM

Just one more thought: Jeremy, I think Mr. Parker has shown some courage by coming here. Even though we are all bitter about tonight's loss, we shouldn't take it out on him. I think you should take him up on his offer for dialogue and invite him back to GoodAsYou for a conversation. Maybe he could take questions from readers, or maybe you could solicit questions from us and then interview him.

Maybe it will be fruitless, but it seems to me that it should be possible for us to find a way for Mr. Parker to have comfort that his kids are not being taught things that conflict with his values while allowing gay adults to be treated equally.

Posted by: David | Nov 4, 2009 2:15:00 AM

You write-"Calling someone a bigot and a hater is nothing like calling someone a faggot. Because in this case, hater and bigot are perfectly accurate descriptive terms."

Yes- It is exactly the same. their are those that would argue the the word f----t is a 'perfectly accurate descriptive term'.

We both have to admit -- that ALL these terms are meant to degrade and marginalize and stigmatize. "Hate" is asserted to these same ends-- It is not a path to empathy and understanding.

dave

Posted by: David Parker | Nov 4, 2009 2:16:15 AM

Just out of curiosity: Is there some reason that the Wirthlins starred in the Yes on 1 ads and not you? Did Schubert not ask you to appear, since it is your family name on the lawsuit?

Posted by: David | Nov 4, 2009 2:16:34 AM