RECENT  POSTS:  » Scott Lively equates accurately noting his public record with inciting murder » Audio: Mark Regnerus doesn't think marriage equality has 'a lot of gas left' » Friday: NOM president shares the bill with 'ex-gay' activists » Today in 'um, yeah, obviously': Stunt marriages not confined to opposite-sex partnerships » Video: Brian Brown's fellow panelist gives insight into Moscow panel's extreme views on homosexuality, marriage » Video: TN man condemns gays with Leviticus billboards; oddly allows local Red Lobsters to remain open » Video: 'Ex-gay' speaker at upcoming ERLC summit equates talking to gay people with talking to cancer patients » GLAAD: Mainstream media is catching on to NOM's broader agenda » FRC's Values Voter Summit puts anti-gay bakers on a marriage panel; so we won, basically » GOP front group NOM raising money for a GOP US Senate

12/20/2009

As goes Martha...

Martha Stewart Weddings magazine has never featured a same-sex couple. Up until now, that is:

Martha Stewart Weddings -- Winter 2010 (15th Anniv.) issue
200912202009
page 98:
200912201951-1
click for full size)

Andrew and I are humbled and honored to have been deemed "good thing"-y enough to grace this mass market mag's pages. It's one time you won't hear us complain about our love being turned into an issue.

Our full equality: Today Martha, tomorrow Congressional Quarterly?

***

**SEE ALSO: Our full wedding album: 6/13/09

(**Photo credit: JAG Studios)

Congratulations. I am off to go buy a copy!

Posted by: Michael | Dec 21, 2009 11:14:30 AM

Thank goodness for clear thinking and open-minded individuals :-) macys also advertises in lgbt mags to sell their rings to we lgbt people. thank you martha :-)

Posted by: jamie | Dec 21, 2009 11:17:56 AM

What a great item for the wedding scrapbook. Mazel Tov guys!!!

Posted by: John | Dec 21, 2009 11:26:59 AM

Why are your faces cut off in one of the photos?

Posted by: Nick | Dec 21, 2009 11:31:52 AM

Nick: I think that's supposed to be the Bosley (our shih tzu) photo. Not sure why they chose that one, since there are *much* better shots of Bosley:

The Martha editors have several more photos, which I think they are going to put up online.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Dec 21, 2009 11:43:28 AM

I'm old-fashioned [or just old] so I'd loan y'all a couple of ties and lose the the dog-child [well, not "literally," but you know what I mean :-)], but Masel tov to everyone concerned! Such willingness to witness to the world is another big brick out of the wall and I appreciate all you do to prove we're "Good As You."

San Francisco remains short of Paradise, but one of the good things is that spreads like this [as in presentation of the event naturally without explicit sociopolitical comment] have been appearing in the San Francisco Chronicle for years.

And they've grown from same gender wedding coverage like this to mixing such couples with nongay ones in "How They Met" and "Beautiful Home Interiors" features. See an absolutely sublime example in the recent Chron photo at the link whose caption simply read:

"A crowd estimated by the San Francisco Park Trust at 17,000 gathers in Golden Gate Park, above, on Sunday afternoon to hear the San Francisco Opera under new music director Nicola Luisotti."

As LT. Dan Choi says in his speeches, and the late great Michael Callen sings in the link below: "It's our right to love we're fighting for."

------------------

Please remember all our troops at Christmas but especially those who must serve in silence.

Posted by: Michael @ LeonardMatlovich.com | Dec 21, 2009 11:43:33 AM

See, off line a few days and ALL LOVE breaks loose! So fine Jeremy and Andrew! Congrats to you both ... any feedback yet?

Posted by: LOrion | Dec 21, 2009 11:49:57 AM

Michael: The funny thing is that I am a tie freak! Seriously, ask anyone who knows me IRL. I wear ties ALL THE TIME. But we wanted to be more relaxed at the wedding.

But as for "losing the dog-child": BLASPHEMY! Bosley would have never spoken to us again if we'd left him out! ;-)

Posted by: G-A-Y | Dec 21, 2009 11:50:01 AM

w00t!

Wow, this changes my opinion of Martha Stewart a little. One issue I MUST HAVE.

Yay!

Posted by: Bonnie Half-Elven | Dec 21, 2009 12:15:02 PM

Wow. Amazing! I cannot believe just how adorable the two of you are...and kudos to Martha Stewart's group for including you. How very wonderful.

Posted by: Eric | Dec 21, 2009 12:55:17 PM

Congrats! That is awesome! :-)

Posted by: remix | Dec 21, 2009 1:03:00 PM

How could anyone stop themselves from smiling on seeing this? Well done!

And I might as well add a 'Happy Holidays!' here as well. I hope you have a great time.

Posted by: Baron Scarpia | Dec 21, 2009 1:03:16 PM

Way to be pioneers, guys! Love the photos - what a beautiful wedding. Congratulations!

Posted by: Bernadette | Dec 21, 2009 2:05:48 PM

Congratulations!

Posted by: Buffy | Dec 21, 2009 6:59:33 PM

Theyre very lucky not many people get to experience the kind of relationship that would lead to marriage, straight or gay.

Posted by: Mario | Dec 21, 2009 7:30:12 PM

I haven't found anything on Petey's site whining about this article... yet.

Posted by: AppleNick | Dec 22, 2009 3:28:29 AM

I'm jealous! I feel like I am mishpocha... Mozel Tov! What did you do with your little black book?

Posted by: jerry Pritikin | Dec 22, 2009 7:39:48 AM

Bravo! And very well done!

Posted by: An Aesthete's Lament | Dec 22, 2009 9:41:39 AM

Fantastic!! I have to admit..I am a bit jealous here. My partner and I have been together for over 18 years and we live in Ohio which has no civil unions or marriage. I hope someday we can get married..at least before we are in a nursing home!

Posted by: James Stone | Dec 22, 2009 1:30:23 PM

What better, brighter faces of the gay marriage movement could there be to represent us all? Bravo, Jeremy. And thanks for all you do.

--Jamie

Posted by: Jamie | Dec 22, 2009 4:18:48 PM

This is so great! I'd never really pegged Martha as pro gay, so this was a very pleasant surprise. And as a side note: your dog is adorable, I love that he got to be in the magazine :)

Posted by: Calli | Dec 23, 2009 2:56:05 PM

Aww! Sweet. Bless you with many, many happy anniversaries.

Posted by: Jane | Dec 24, 2009 8:45:07 AM

Fantastic. My partner and I live in Michigan and have been together eight years. I wish we would have gone to California when it was legal. Congratulations!

Posted by: Gene | Jan 18, 2010 9:45:29 AM

Gene: I strongly suggest CT. My husband and I fail in love with the state.

Of course your real struggle in Michigan is getting your state to recognize the union once you return home. We are "lucky" in that way in NY.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jan 18, 2010 10:40:41 AM

Omg! That is great! I wonder where I could get a copy....

Posted by: Elisabeth S. Paquet | Feb 8, 2010 4:50:20 PM