RECENT  POSTS:  » After death do us part: Indignity of Idaho's marriage ban threatens lesbian veteran's final wishes » NOM's Chair to Oregon: We have a right to tell courts our personal, conservative Catholic opinions! » Nice try, anti-equality movement, but the lesbian 'throuple' story makes our argument, not yours » Jonah Goldberg can't see the hornets' nest for its hornets » Video: Male on mail » Jodie Foster in 2013: 'I am'; Jodie Foster in 2014: 'I do' » AFA promotes its new app in only way it knows how » Robert Oscar Lopez says I perform 'psychological operations routine' on him when I quote his own words from his own web site » Matt Barber's ever-classy site suggests gay people are literally crushing fellow humans » Bryan Fischer is on to our comic book villain–in-chief

12/04/2009

The sanctity of [marrying someone you admittedly do not love so as to please God]

Look, we really couldn't care less about the love that exists or does not exist within our political opponents' marriages, or the impetus that brought them together in the first place. But when they make condemnation of our love a big part of their personal busine$$, they have to expect us to raise eyebrows at remarkably bizarre remarks like these:

In a Christian Post article about an upcoming biography of Saddleback megachurch Pastor Rick Warren, we learn that Warren freely admits that when he married his wife, he didn't love her, was not attracted to her, and had "no feelings" for her at all. But he married her anyway because the marriage had been arranged. By God.
Rick Warren: I'm In An Arranged Marriage [J.M.G.]

So apparently in Rick Warren's world, marriage not only involves the civil aspect taking a back seat to religion, but also the Screen Shot 2009-12-04 At 10.47.58 Am-3whole love thing getting in line behind godly matchmaking. Fair enough. He and his ring finger are allowed to take such a risk. We support anyone's freedom to take the plunge for whatever reason fits their life.

But we'll be damned if he's going to get away with damning our loves as fakes, when both he and his wife freely admit that they had to fake their own!

**Lest anyone forget what Rick has said about our marriages:

As an immigrant, I take particular offense to this. If I married a woman who I wasn't attracted to and had no feelings for, I would be *deported.*

Posted by: DN | Dec 4, 2009 1:23:59 PM

Posted by: Matt Algren | Dec 4, 2009 2:11:55 PM

"I'm not the first to point it out, but this makes him sound like quite the closet case."

Could be that.. could be that the old bag was sitting on a stack of cash, or the promise of a huge inheritance.. Knowing the lying liars as I do, and their affinity for the filthy lucre, I would seriously suspect the later.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Dec 4, 2009 2:34:15 PM

Ugh.

I get weary of the anti-gays promoting sex as something that should belong only to straight people, and themselves as noble, disciplined, and self-sacrificing because they alone practice it for the "right" reasons.

It's as irritating as their selfishness about parenting, insisting that only traditional men joined with traditional women can bring the full range of parental tenderness and toughness to their children.

And now, Rick Warren's marriage is portrayed as a contract entered into out of duty and obligation, not joy.

Do not be deceived, they seem to say. Sex, love, parenting, and marriage should not soar freely or joyfully. They are burdens to be borne, sacrifices to be made, solely by straight people. Our God has told us this, and since LGBTs aren't listening to our God, we will force LGBT people to listen to us.

Posted by: Bose | Dec 4, 2009 2:41:36 PM

I'm speechless. And that's rare for me. Okay, the aphasia is ending....

I keep thinking about my experiences working against Prop 8 and how often people brought up what this man had to say to me. It was often. I wish I'd been able to tell them this information back then.

Posted by: Em | Dec 4, 2009 4:32:46 PM

Rick Warren, his followers, the C Street "Family", are all a cancer on the U.S. Constitution's freedoms and rights. They are traitors to American law and values as they place their religion above the law. They intend on making America a theocracy (see the article at http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/14376/rick-warren-mentor-tied-to-global-antigay-rights-organizing) which cites Warren's hatred of us and his lobbying and financing on behalf of those candidates and legislators who would assist in setting up this theocracy. This is a dangerous man akin to Goebbels and the Nazis.

Posted by: Mykelb | Dec 7, 2009 11:43:31 AM

It's unfortunate that Rick Warren defrauded his wife.

Marriage is to be based on love.

Marriage is defined in the Bible and it is defined as a sexual/sensual love relationship.

God did not tell him to marry a woman he didn't love.

Posted by: Ashley | Jan 6, 2010 11:29:10 AM