RECENT  POSTS:  » What most people aren't getting about the fake non-troversies of the anti-gay right » 'Weekly Standard' asst. editor equates Tim Cook with man who pits God against him » Michigan pastors make unfortunate lifestyle choice; say they'll go to jail rather than not discriminate » PFOX's Quinlan says SBC leader's opposition to 'reparative therapy' is cruel » That Idaho wedding venue posts new 'rules and regulations'; will still perform non-Christian weddings » Another deceptive thing about NOM's duplicitous anti-Hagan ad » NOM trying to shape Arkansas politics without even learning state's abbreviation » Video: Focus on the Family staffer who calls homosexuality 'particularly evil lie of Satan' hangs out in Chicago's Boystown » Video: Another new NOM ad targets Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR); uses James O'Keefe video as source » What the heck is 'NOM Victory Fund'?

01/05/2010

Because RIPPING-APART-LUV-FOR-NO-REASON-OTHER-THAN-HETEROSEXISM was already taken

Want to hear something disgusting? No? Eh, well, we're gonna tell ya anyway.

The "pro-family" group that is hoping to overturn marriage equality in Iowa: They are working under the name "LUV Iowa":

LUV Iowa Campaign Launches Legislative Initiative [LUV Iowa.com]

Now, in their anti-gay case, "LUV" stands for "Let Us Vote." Though the wordplay is obviously intentional. And wrong. And gross. And just -- no.

We just hope Iowans will rise up in a bout of reasoned, principles "H.A.T.E".: Humanity Against Tyrannical Endeavors!

Let them discredit themselves. The earliest they can actually do anything is 2014. Iowans will have stopped caring long before then.

Posted by: RainbowPhoenix | Jan 5, 2010 9:31:12 PM

You know what's funny? Or perhaps just interesting. I've been visiting my family in Iowa for 3 weeks now and have heard not one peep about same-sex marriage that didn't come from my own mouth. And my family is NOT the most GLBT-friendly out there.

People just seem to be going about their everyday lives, not particularly bothered by "the gays" tying the knot, from what I can see. It's just bigots who can't leave well enough alone who feel the need to push the issue. Most Iowans don't seem to have banning same-sex marriage very high on their to-do list this holiday season.

Just my .02 and bit of observation from America's Heartland.

Posted by: Aya | Jan 5, 2010 10:27:44 PM

One of the lessons we should have learned from California is that we cannot stand by and allow these people to discredit themselves and hope people will stop caring about gay marriage. Those who oppose it are many and dedicated.

Posted by: Owen | Jan 6, 2010 9:38:53 AM

I (as an Iowan resident) am grateful for Aya's insights...they are comforting to me! However, I absolutely agree with Jan as well. After all, it's the bigots who want to decide the issue for everyone else (including those that simply don't care if gays are allowed to marry; they want to speak for them, too! It's the apathy that will really be our un-doing)!

Posted by: Wade MacMorrighan | Jan 6, 2010 2:11:17 PM

Thank you, Wade.

That's what concerns me, too. In my family, most don't care who marries whom...so long as it's not put up to a vote. Then I know a majority of them will likely vote against marriage equality -- just because they don't think it's natural or what-have-you. This is sort of ridiculous logic, but it happens all the time with people. As a California resident myself, I was witness to how little same-sex marriage affected people who weren't themselves gay. Yet when it came down to a vote at the ballot box, POW: they all voted in discrimination's favor.

This is exactly why issues like these SHOULDN'T be left up to the popular vote. Forgive them, for they know not what they do (and so forth).

Posted by: Aya | Jan 7, 2010 7:21:37 PM

I suppose no one's bothered to remind them of the vital importance of the 14th. Amendments Equal Protections' Clause, and how un-American it is to vote someone into Second Class citizenship! BTW, I wrote a letter to LUV Iowa, (not that it matters!), and posted it on my Blog, here: http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=31657143&blogId=524910230

Posted by: Wade MacMorrighan | Jan 8, 2010 12:21:12 PM