RECENT  POSTS:  » Apple CEO gives 'substantial' sum to HRC's southern state project; may or may not have used ApplePay » Conservative proposes new way for vendors to tell gay customers they don't care for them » NOM versus David Koch » Anti-equality baseball player calls reporter 'a prick' for asking about his anti-equality advocacy » Audio: Josh Duggar defends discrimination, invalidates own point » Audio: AFA's Fischer names 'homosexual agenda' as 'greatest threat to liberty' in American history » Audio: AFA Radio caller calls for executing gays; FRC-employed host doesn't even challenge him, much less condemn » NOM president's other organization is 'in trouble' (his words) too » FRC prays to take LGBT Americans out of nondiscrimination law » In lieu of typing 'Look how desperate we are' over and over again, NOM president wrote this instead

01/14/2010

Video: Let us vote (on unanimous high court decision written by GOP-appointed justices)

Frightening hostility, Iowa style:

Gee, wonder why nobody focused on signs like this one:

Screen Shot 2010-01-14 At 1.23.35 Pm-1

Guess that might have harmed the whole "LUV" theme.

Oh, this is so disgusting to me, I couldn't watch past the second video.

The chants of "Let us vote" actually frighten me. Do people really feel SO strong about this issue that they're BEGGING to vote their neighbor's rights away?

It's also very disheartening to hear that African American belittle the LGBT civil rights movement. We weren't slaves, no, but those in the LGBT community have had to attempt to withstand every conceivable attempt at being dehumanized by our opposition.

...sound familiar, African Americans?

Ugh.

Posted by: Aya | Jan 14, 2010 2:04:16 PM

Blacks should shut up about the "discrimination" that they went through.
They were never forced from there homes, never herded in to camps, never forced to work until death, never gassed or cooked alive. So in comparison to Jews the "plight" that they went through is just a fluffy, vanilla ice cream on a cone with SPRINKLES.

Just wondering how many pounds of flesh they need´╗┐ to call hostile action towards gays discrimination.

Posted by: Jeff Chang | Jan 14, 2010 3:26:31 PM

This terrifies me. Someone, hold me?! :oS What I don't understand is precisely WHY know one is telling them that our Supreme Court declared that we are a "suspect class" entitled to the HIGHEST protections of government, and that they CANNOT vote on our liberties. Why isn't anyone asking them if they would like to vote on the rights of some other minority? Where will their mission end? Because, it won't just stop with us!!!

Does anyone know who the hell it was who's started to convince all of these clearly religious-based groups that it's "okay", and somehow "Democratic" to seek to vote against a "suspect class"? Was it Mags?

Posted by: Wade MacMorrighan | Jan 14, 2010 4:08:05 PM

Don't forget, Jeff. We were also rounded up into the Nazi death camps! In fact, we died and were executed at a much larger percentage than any other segment of inmates...even the inmates attacked and killed us at times! Even after the war we were kept in those prisons and reviled until the 1960s or so when paragraph 175 was repealed.

Posted by: Wade MacMorrighan | Jan 14, 2010 4:43:57 PM

All very true, Jeff, but is there really a point in trying to make this a competition over who was hurt most? The point is that people were (and are being) hurt: the LGBT community, African Americans, the Japanese (and other Asian groups who weren't allowed to marry "real Americans" or gain citizenship for decades), women (who, until recently, couldn't even vote), and so on. I don't think anyone's hurt is any greater than any one other group's. I just wish people like the speaker in this film realized that.

Really, the Iowa I visited for three weeks over the winter holidays was not full of hate-filled rhetoric. Not once did I even hear a nasty word about same-sex marriage (except from my grandfather who, thankfully, splits his time between Michigan and Florida, so isn't an Iowa citizen anyway). Everyone was just happily going about their lives, respecting one another, from what I could discern. What I saw on these videos, on the other hand, was truly sickening to me. Perhaps some of these people need to move on with their own lives, as well, and concern themselves less with the rights of others.

Posted by: Aya | Jan 14, 2010 5:38:22 PM

I don't know what these people are complaining about. They DO have the right to vote on marriage equality. All they have to do is vote out the people who are preventing them from voting on a constitutional amendment and vote in ones who are more sympathetic to their cause. Or are they afraid that if they vote out someone who won't let them vote, they might be voting out someone who supports THEM on 100s of other issues?

For years, the anti-gay side said if we wanted victories, we just had to vote in people who sided with us (snicker, snicker). Well, we called their bluff and did just that.

Posted by: stojef | Jan 14, 2010 6:26:29 PM

I live in Iowa and I never hear a word about gay marriage outside of news reports about it, letters to the editor and comments to those stories and letters online. Outside of these venues, people simply don't discuss it because the whole gay thing isn't really for polite company.

The balance of letters and comments I think are probably 50/50. However, what someone does in the voting booth is really up for grabs and I wouldn't count on those who really don't care one way or another to fall on our side of the fence.

In my opinion, these people are something to be feared and taken very seriously. They are being supported by organizations with deep pockets outside of Iowa and would very easily get the support of the majority of Iowans.

Posted by: Owen | Jan 15, 2010 1:33:00 PM

If you don't believe in gay marriage, then don't marry a gay person. Simple as that!

But don't infringe upon other people's civil rights, such as taxation with representation.

Posted by: KM Cox | Jan 15, 2010 5:22:04 PM