RECENT  POSTS:  » Lisa Kudrow thinks my website title is modest, at best » Do you take this man to be your lawfully wedded mission of destruction? » MassResistance's hilarious fourteen-point plan for reinstating marriage discrimination: Get really, really nasty » Concerned Women For America finally learns to call out anti-gay rhetoric » 'Rivka Edelman' responds to me via one of the most bizarre comments I've ever read » Just going to another vendor isn't always easy, isn't good basis for sound policy » Pat Robertson: People who believe in fair nondiscrimination law are 'terrorists, radicals, and extremists' » In which another anti-gay group forces politicos to Gladys Kravitz our way into one family's divorce drama » In 2008, the AFA was the same on LGBT rights as President Obama; and I was a flying unicorn » The Hitching Post plot thickens in a truly remarkable way

02/11/2010

Video: Love for one sex vs. love for one sec

Buffalo, NY: 2/10/10:

Fighting for the right to marry [YNN]
(h/t: Towle)

If only this nation were a meritocracy based on cleverness.

I know this is meant to be a bit humorous and to point out the total irony of how ridiculous inequality is, but it totally breaks my heart just the same...is it so much to ask that we can be treated with the same kindness and dignity (and as such, be bestowed the same rights) as our straight neighbors and friends?

Posted by: Aya | Feb 11, 2010 2:31:09 PM

It's always a balance, Aya. You *should* be enraged. But if we can maintain sanity through laughter/irony, that's a good thing.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Feb 11, 2010 2:37:52 PM

I came *this* close to doing the same thing here in Phoenix - I'm glad these folks did it!

Posted by: DN | Feb 11, 2010 3:47:07 PM

This reminds me of the time my friend Amy married Dan Savage. During the ceremony they vowed never to live or sleep together and to continue their lives with their same sex partners. These were their marriage vows. And it was legal. It really does demonstrate how ridiculous our marriage laws are.

Posted by: SammySeattle | Feb 11, 2010 5:06:12 PM

This is exactly what the RRRW want to see. Us knuckling under pressure. I don't like this at all. I went to Canada to marry my husband and I will go to any lengths short of murder so everyone else finally gets that same right.

Posted by: Mykelb | Feb 11, 2010 9:52:38 PM

I think it totally rocks! It proves that "traditional marriage" can be shallow and meaningless, and the idea that keeping some loving, committed couples from marrying and having full equal rights under marriage "keeps traditional marriage so damn special" is completly baseless.

Thanks for posting this, Jeremy.

Posted by: Bonnie Half-Elven | Feb 12, 2010 1:03:17 PM