RECENT  POSTS:  » Video: Voices from our pro-equality future (present?) » Anti-gay orgs continue to offend children of single parents, gay parents, more » Apple CEO gives 'substantial' sum to HRC's southern state project; may or may not have used ApplePay » Conservative proposes new way for vendors to tell gay customers they don't care for them » NOM versus David Koch » Anti-equality baseball player calls reporter 'a prick' for asking about his anti-equality advocacy » Audio: Josh Duggar defends discrimination, invalidates own point » Audio: AFA's Fischer names 'homosexual agenda' as 'greatest threat to liberty' in American history » Audio: AFA Radio caller calls for executing gays; FRC-employed host doesn't even challenge him, much less condemn » NOM president's other organization is 'in trouble' (his words) too

03/08/2010

Glass closet loses its Hayes

Hayes-AdvocateActor Sean Hayes has confirmed what most us already knew. Read the somewhat contentious Advocate interview at link:

"I am who I am. I was never in, as they say. Never,” he insists.
Sean Hayes [Advocate]

Who cares? Since he hid in the closet for more than a decade as a move to advance his career, I assume he's now coming out of the closet because he thinks it will somehow advance his career.

Sorry, buddy. I couldn't care less about your b.s.

And you aren't getting any big gay-rights medal, coward.

Posted by: Skeptical Cicada | Mar 8, 2010 12:45:51 PM

Tell is how you really feel, S.C. ;-)

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 8, 2010 12:47:50 PM

I can't say I blame him. He's kind of right about one point: you CAN be too gay for Hollywood, but you can never be gay enough for "the movement." There's truly nothing he could've done that would be enough; he'd have had to ruin his career mid-build for anyone to be satisfied.
Everyone loves Neil Patrick Harris right now, but he sure came out when he had nothing to lose, didn't he? What about David Hyde Pearce? It's not our place to judge.

Posted by: Eric | Mar 8, 2010 1:18:56 PM

It's certainly an interesting/sometimes difficult position to be in. I used to be in the ent. industry: I can tell you firsthand that there are an eye-opening number of external pressures. So for me, as long as the celebrity doesn't make pointed denials or take offense at the idea that the question would even be posed, then I typically don't have any concerns.

The only person I remember taking exception with was Clay Aiken. He used to be kind of nasty with interviewers who would ask him about his love life. I found this unfair, since every single celeb on the face of the planet is nowadays asked about their personal life. It's par for that course. So when he'd get angry about it, it had the tendency to sound like a double standard that was heightened because he happened to be gay. But who knows what kind of pressure he received from his management.

The only thing I find weird about the Hayes interview is the particular exception that he takes with The Advocate. Since he was on the biggest gay-themed sitcom to ever hit the airwaves, he has to realize that the biggest gay publication would want to talk frankly with him. But he seems to take major exception with their pressure to get him to do an interview. Maybe there's much more there -- I don't know. But I don't feel like his annoyance with The Advocate is fully explained.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 8, 2010 1:25:40 PM

For context: This is the "interview" that is referenced in this new Advocate article. Since he wouldn't give an interview, the magazine put together a bunch of quotes he had given to other publications and presented them like a real Q&A. This is what was said to have upset Sean:

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 8, 2010 1:32:21 PM

I don't understand how he can say he was never "in" the closet. I have a pretty simple working definition of what it means to be out of the closet -- when someone asks me if I am gay, I say, "Yes."

Posted by: Mark | Mar 8, 2010 2:05:40 PM

I laughed right out loud when I saw an ad for EasyClosets.com between your post & the comments. Thanx Google!

Posted by: Wyzdyx | Mar 8, 2010 2:58:09 PM

That ad for EasyClosets.com is pretty funny. On one screen you get a pic of Sean Hayes on the cover of the Advocate, and just below, the EASY CLOSETS ad. It is pretty brilliant.

The only comment that I have about the whole "Glass Closet" issue is that not coming out (for a mid-20's to 40's actor) does tend to perpetuate the stigma that being gay is something that one has to hide. Perhaps it is possible to cut some slack to the "rising" star, who isn't only protecting his own career, but has a brand (and co-stars) to think about as well), but there is still that stigma. One possible route for those in Hayes shoes (if I were a PR person - gawd, can you imagine!), that I would suggest, is that if they stay in the "closet", then they should be widely known as the most gay friendly celebrity on the planet.

They should widely known for showing up at fund raising events, and speaking out against discrimination. If they feel that they can't build a brand, and be openly gay, then at least they nip some of the eventual ire in the bud by having used his celebrity to benefit those who otherwise might have benefited from him not being in the closet. Maybe Hayes did that, and if he did, then that is what he should be talking about now.

Posted by: Dick Mills | Mar 8, 2010 5:34:54 PM

I agree. Its totally not our place to judge. Everyone should come out on their own schedule. I will say, however, that vurtually nothing was holding him back in the industry from coming out. Would it have seriously affected what rolls he got 5 or 10 years ago? This could indeed be a PR move.

Posted by: DanO | Mar 8, 2010 7:42:22 PM

I love these uber activists who decide when everyone else should come out. And it's always the day before yesterday.
News flash: only the individual can decide if it's smart or even safe to come out, because only the individual knows the risks in his environment.
Why is that so hard to understand?

Posted by: Wilberforce | Mar 8, 2010 9:10:03 PM

But Wilberforce, I didn't really see any of that with Hayes. In fact, I haven't heard of anyone really trying to pull him out. Maybe it happened, but I sure didn't see it. Have you seen this?

What I find weird about the Advocate piece is that Sean seems upset with the mag simply because of their years of requests for an interview. To me that's a perfectly reasonable and benign request from a gay publication, considering the character that made him famous. There may have been something lost in translation, but it seems like he was snippy solely because of what he saw as hounding, but that they saw as typical LGBT entertainment journalism.

But mostly I find this to be totally ho hum. I think 3 out of 4 people who are aware of Sean probably assumed he was gay. This seems to be a minor confirmation -- about as lacking in newsworthiness as everyone's coming outs should and would be, in a perfect world.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Mar 8, 2010 9:21:11 PM