Audio: Love is all around, no need to waste it. But Minnesota Maggie will try anyway
And now we have more on how NOM is trying to lay groundwork in Minnesota, as if they are latter day Mary Tyler Moores hoping to turn the world on with their biases. What follows is a speech that Maggie Gallagher recently gave to the students of St. Paul, MN's Bethel University. Things we learn this go-around:
- Maggie was an atheist in college
- Maggie's baby daddy, a fellow Yalie with "a troubled family background" who left M.G. and her son in 1986, is now a married-with-children surgeon living in New Hampshire
- Maggie's stats say marriage makes adults healthier, happier, longer-living, wealthier, and better sexed -- so for those reasons we should deny it to gay citizens?!?!?
- The same stats say cohabitation "does not do what marriage does" -- soagain, we're supposed to deny it to gay taxpayers?!?
- Religious ceremony and civil marriage licensing, despite being separate already, are apparently not separate in Maggie's world, due to her personal belief about male fidelity being rooted in Christian tradition.
- Maggie has adopted "Newsflash: Sex makes babies" as her new laugh line. Seriously, we've heard it in like ten different speeches. Clearly it's to make her sound fun and relaxed and human.
- Maggie admits that she doesn't think sex between two men is either a moral good or a social good. Not surprising -- but still interesting to hear her say it flat out.
- Roman Catholics like Maggie are shy about praying in public. Not, apparently, about preying on civil rights in private voting booths.
*And now, a Minnesota-based palate cleanser:
comments powered by Disqus