If Maggie Gallagher is to defend DOMA, let's have her defend her own record
Since it's been confirmed that NOM's Maggie Gallagher will top the witness list at tomorrow's House Judiciary Committee Hearing on DOMA, we have some of our own bullet points that we hope our friends on the committee (Nadler? Wasserman-Schultz? Conyers?) will consider asking of Maggie. Here are just a few:
- Ask her why, if DOMA is so great now, Maggie's first reaction was to call it "timid."
- Ask her if she stands by the claim that both gays and their straight supporters are "committing several different kinds of very serious sins."
- Ask is she still thinks "ex-gay" therapy deserves more research dollars, which she once suggested of President Bush (whose payroll she was on, let's not forget).
- Ask her if she still considers homosexuality to be "at a minimum, a sexual dysfunction much as impotence or infertility."
- Ask her if she still thinks homosexuality is "like infertility...a sexual disability preventing certain individuals from participating in the normal reproductive patterns of the human species."
- Ask her why she ever thought gay people's lives and loves was one of those issues "so dumb you don't have to talk about them." [speech at Franciscan Univ., 2/2/2010]
We've sent our suggestions to some key staffers. let's hope we finally cut through the nice, measured face that Maggie will surely put on display and get to some of the red meat that we've seen her dangle in order to rile up her base.
comments powered by Disqus