RECENT  POSTS:  » Photo: The latest totally convincing, in no way silly attempt at a meme from anti-gay Ruth Institute » AFA's Fischer: Time for Christians to 'get up in somebody's grill' like Jesus would » GLAAD: The World Congress of Families sparks protests in Australia. Let's examine why. » GLAAD: NOM cofounder: 'Hard to see... the logical stopping place' between gay-affirming, murder-affirming Christians » 'Nonpartisan' NOM's entrenched Republicanism again showing » GLAAD: His other tactics failing, NOM president turns to anti-trans fear-mongering » AFA's Bryan Fischer: Diversity is 'most sinister and dangerous lie' » WND activist: 'Dan Savage has done far worse things than Westboro [Baptist];' says to send him to Iraq to challenge those who hang gays » Michael Sam's teammate offers perfect response to silly shower 'story' » Photo: Negligent NOM posts baby with choking hazard; will someone please think of the children?  

« Go back a post || Return to G-A-Y homepage || Haul tail to next post »

07/05/2011

Tony Perkins says pal Reince affirmed tent's small size

by Jeremy Hooper

The Family Research Council has been at the forefront in faulting the Republican National Committee for naming a gay -- A GAY! -- to its Finance Committee. You might remember that oh-so-charming condemnation from last week, where FRC's Tom McClusky branded Dumbo as gay, apparent attempt to slight gay Republicans via the outing of Disney cartoons. Because that's the FRC for you: See a gay, fly off the handle.

Well now get this: In a development that proves how in the pocket of the current incarnation of the national GOP the uber-hyperbolic FRC still remains, president Tony Perkins now recounts the following weekend event, wherein he managed to get RNC Chair Reince Priebus on the phone (on a holiday weekend, no less) for reassurance that the kind of benign acceptance that puts qualifications over orientation has not infiltrated the national party's grand old ways:

Like a lot of FRC supporters, who contacted me over the weekend, the news [of Log Cabin Republican R. Clarke Cooper's appointment] took me by surprise. Given how moderate the RNC had become under previous managements, appointing a man like Cooper to the Finance Committee seemed plausible. But knowing the current Chairman, Reince Preibus, this didn't add up. Chairman Preibus is about building an effective party--not making news that will cost you in the end. Considering the RNC's major donors only represent about 18 percent of the RNC's revenue, why would the Committee risk offending the other 82 percent--the majority of whom support the values in the platform?

Chairman Preibus called me over the weekend and assured me that Cooper was not on the payroll and had not been "appointed." He simply volunteered to be a part of an open group of individuals who will personally give the party $30,000 and try to raise $300,000 or more. The Loggers wanted the RNC to release a statement celebrating Cooper purchase of a seat on the finance committee, but it declined. Knowing that the Log Cabin group hasn't been truthful in its efforts to subvert the GOP's platform, their dishonesty about buying their way into the RNC should come as no surprise.

Cabin Fever at the RNC? [FRC]

One thing's for sure: Someone's certainly being disingenuous here. Because Log Cabin Republicans press released the news of Cooper's appointment, with it made perfectly clear that Cooper was named on the basis of his merits. The story has gone everywhere, with the appointment mentioned as nothing more than fact. It's not even like LCR or R. Clarke Cooper Headshotanyone else bragged about the selection or anything: It was just noted, as truth, that Cooper (pic., left) was selected to join. As in chosen. As in picked on the basis of his qualifications. As in, didn't just up and volunteer to some kind of open group.

Not only that: Cooper even took strides to credit Priebus, saying in LCR's release: “Chairman Priebus has demonstrated that he believes inclusion wins and that our Party is strongest when we reach every community." And this is the thanks Cooper now gets: The RNC Chair pandering to a man who says LGBT rights is a battle of "good versus evil," claims Don't Ask Don't Tell repeal proponents are "willing to jeopardize our nation’s security to advance the agenda of the radical homosexual lobby," claims gay teens kill themselves because they know that they're "abnormal," preaches the activists who challenge FRC are "held captive by the enemy," and writes that same-sex marriage will be "opening the door to all manner of moral and social evil? Pandering an a way that allows Tony to then spin this as dishonesty on Cooper and LCR's part, no less?

So much for that inclusive outreach, I guess.

space gay-comment gay-G-A-Y-post gay-email gay-writer-jeremy-hooper


Your thoughts

comments powered by Disqus

G-A-Y Comments Policy


 
Related Posts with Thumbnails