07/06/2007

For those not offended enough by his earlier words

Good As You Images Picture-10-38Clearly enjoying the attention, "ex-gay" Michael Glatze is continuing to PR himself and his miraculous "change." This uber-offensive email just arrived in both our Inbox and in our comments section:

To My Friends Who Are Trapped In Homosexuality
By Michael Glatze

Dear friend,

Thank you for your kind comments and keen observations regarding my
story and my revelation about no longer being homosexual and now being
heterosexual. I thank you for the time that you have spent in
considering this issue, deeply, and with great passion. God loves you.

God is right there, within you, whether you like to see Him or not.
Can you humble yourself to Him? It's a really nice feeling. I know
that, in some small way, you want to. We all do. We don't like being
separated from our Father; it makes us sad and lonely, forcing us to
be angry, to act out, to get vulgar… well, I won't go on; many of you
have already demonstrated, on your blog comments, exactly what I'm
talking about.

God love you, Yes! He does! And, He wants you to be free from
homosexuality. God made us men and women. Think about that; you could
– really – be a man or a woman! Not a strange creature… but, real!
That's awesome…

Change is very difficult and takes a lot of inner strength. Do you
have that strength? I promise you that the Gay Identity does not
exist, that it is a fabrication of mankind (look it up, if you don't
believe me), and that you are not "trapped" in same-sex-orientation.
To believe that you are Gay is to be stupid. I'm sorry, if that sounds
cruel; it's not cruel. To believe that you are a false identity,
created by man, unnaturally, to participate in social engineering, is
to be stupid.

It's not the acts, as much as it is the Identity. No one ever told you
that, before, because they wanted to feed you with the lie that
homosexuality is a set thing. Any intelligent "homosexual" knows
there's no fixed Gay Identity. If you don't believe me, ask the
theorists or "intellectuals."

Gay Identity has been packaged and fed to you, and – if you believe
yourself to be "Gay" – you have eaten it, preventing you from further
growth and understanding of your true and real self.

Coming out from under this packaged lie requires strong
self-confidence and will and desire to know the Truth. Yes, Truth is
capitalized. It is that way for a reason. There is only one Truth.

That one Truth is the fact that you are beautiful, perfect, and
glorious, in the image of He who created you… God. There is only one
God. I know it may be hard for you to get your head around the
paradoxical nature of God… but, He is everywhere "out there" and – at
the same time – right inside your soul. He sees and knows you. He
loves you.

He wants you to be free of homosexuality. I promise you that. He's
rooting for you; He knows you can do it. Remember, He loves you! He's
not judging you – those angry voices in your mind, planted there by
Satan, might scream and judge and ridicule – but, no; He's not judging
you. He has patience. He'll give you strength. All you have to do is
pray to Him.

Prayer and love – True Love, my dear friends – requires total
humility. Can you do that?

I know, in my heart, that all homosexuals desire to be free.

It is a new world, one in which the lie will not stand much longer.
The tide is turning. Be not afraid! It's a good change! Jesus will
come.
And, when that day happens, will you be – truly – yourself!?
Or, will you be a demon, trapped in a fabrication not your own,
lusting and hating and destroying your soul to hell? Consider this one
last thing: all the love you may believe you feel for yourself or for
someone else, while trapped in the homosexual mindset, is a grain of
sand on the beach of the love that you could feel. Healing is
possible. When you choose to go there, you know who to call on for
help. His name is Jesus Christ.

Michael Glatze

Our response forthcoming.

Glatze Email [G-A-Y]

**UPDATE: On second thought, here is our only response:

"This is ridiculous."

We had a long-winded acknowledgment halfway finished before realizing that his silly words already help our cause enough!!

**UPDATE2: We also want to go on record as saying we think his whole situation is an elaborate ruse (i.e. he is attempting to infiltrate the "ex-gay" mind and write an expose about the whole thing).

**UPDATE3: Please check out this email exchange that we have shared with Glatze:

Picture 5-65
Picture 8-48
Picture 4-66
Picture 7-59
Picture 3-62
Picture 6-70
Picture 9-39
Picture 10-39
Picture 12-24
Picture 13-27
Picture 14-25
Picture 15-21

A lot has been said on the topic of Michael's newly discovered heterosexuality/ attraction to opposite gender. My question is, with he ever gay to begin with?

I know a couple of guys who identify as gay, yet they have never had sex with a man. One even boasts that he is saving it for Mr Right who he hopes to marry.

I know a lesbian who I suspect could become a hasbien ... her attraction being to the person and not the sex.

Posted by: Stan M | Jul 7, 2007 6:46:09 AM

Let's be a little sympathetic to this guy; he is obviously hurting. He has, assuming he is being truthful, gone through a tough personal situation and been preyed upon by some evangelical brainwasher. I am absolutely sure that Mr. Glatze will be back, renouncing his venture into the ex-gay world.

But let's be realistic about the "gay lifestyle." For many young men, is is extremely destructive. Gay men and lesbians are twice as likely to abuse drugs or alcohol as straight people; they have a tendency toward serially failed relationships, they contract HIV and other STDs at a rate far higher than their straight counterparts. The popular lifestyle glorifies promiscuity, bars, smoking, cattiness, conspicuous consumption, shallowness, circuit parties, etc...It is no wonder that many young men, seeing this first hand, run away into the arms of the waiting evangelicals that prey on those disaffected by the gay culture, such as it is.

I used to live that lifestyle. I spent years on Fire Island in the summer, had tickets to every circuit party, was addicted to ecstasy, crystal meth, alcohol; caught gonorrhea, herpes, warts; luckily not HIV. I lost many jobs due to hangovers & depression and just not caring.

However, I found stability and happiness without running to the right wingers. I found a good therapist, went through a good 12-step program to rid myself of my drug and alcohol dependency, and made good sober gay friends, and have activities that far exceed those of my earlier days. I travel, participate in sports, hike, camp, sail, attend concerts, date, and yes, have better sex than I did before--without drugs or alcohol. I now have a wonderful gay life.

The key is not to mistake the "lifestyle" for the life. Being gay does not have to mean drugs, dicks, and DJs. You can have everything the straight world has and more, and also be true to your sexuality. I hope this resonates with someone who is questioning.

Posted by: Jay | Jul 7, 2007 11:02:00 AM

Jay: Yes, this is certainly a point we try to highlight on G-A-Y. It is quite common to hear "ex-gays" talking about their past lives in terms of their club life or drug use, which of course could not have less to do with sexual orientation, attraction, desire, and love. If someone of ANY sexual orientation is wrapped up in social activities that are having a negative effect on their existences, then they need to pinpoint the problems and take steps to alleviate them. But we need to be quite diligent in pointing out that partying habits and sexual truth are DRASTICALLY different concepts.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 7, 2007 11:12:46 AM

His email exchange reminds me of an interview with Gayvernor Crist here in FL. Before he was elected he responded to the gay question by saying, "No, man. No. I love women. I mean, they're wonderful,'' even though he doesn't describe any female relationships besides his failed marriage of a few months in the 1970's. I don't believe anyone who says such things.

Posted by: Wade, MD | Jul 7, 2007 11:21:44 AM

Try this !! Clergyman with 31 years of monogamous partnership - in Canada - and married legally in my nation for 4 years. We have a four year old son.

I agree with the person who said that psychosexual orientation and lifestyle are two different realities.

Orientation speaks to whom you can love regardless of gender attraction, and lifestyle states how you live your life.

We have been together in a committed monogamous way since August 11, 1976. During our three decades plus years together, we have officiated at funerals of many friends and acquaintances whose life included what many straights engaged in....sex, drugs and rock and roll. Less straights than gays in this "lifestyle" because all minorities have issues of acceptance and self-revulsion and passive aggression.

The Churches who exercise spiritual violence toward gays, especially couples with families, deserve derision and dialogue from those of us who cannot recognise Christ in these neighbours who should love all as He taught us to love ourselves.

Posted by: The Crozier | Jul 7, 2007 5:00:47 PM

It's pretty clear that discussing ANYTHING with Fundamentalist Christians ("ex-gay" or not) is not a good idea. These are people who believe that a 2000 year old Jewish zombie, who is his own father, can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. If you believe that you have SERIOUS mental health issues.

Posted by: David | Jul 7, 2007 5:55:23 PM

I do not understand the need to 'dialogue' with these idiots who have a worldview from sometime pre-Dark Ages. Their 'understanding' of human sexuality as being only hetero-normal is unscientific, irrational, and will not respond to anything resembling civil discourse. They are "true believers", which means nothing anyone says will convince them otherwise. They, like all closed-minded bigots, will cling fervently to their beliefs and the world will continue to change and evolve around them. Do we not have much better things to do than waste our breath on these fools?

Posted by: James Lovette-Black | Jul 7, 2007 7:42:13 PM

James,
THe reason we need dialogue is in your second sentence. They need to learn from us, just as we need to learn from them. The cling to their beliefs and values because to destroy one of them, is to destroy many of them. James, THe universe leans to the side of justice. There was a time when people, just like these people used the bible to support horrible acts of violence and "segregation". But the only way to stop them from "jading" the negotiations for rights is to dialogue and used "Creative nonviolence" to stand up to them, point out to the world the injustice they have inflicted on us and stand our ground firmly in love.

To give up the belief that even the worst of us can change for the better, is an act of violence in itself. Violence will never bring true justice, only love can do that.

Posted by: Joe Brummer | Jul 7, 2007 9:23:58 PM

Joe: Nice thoughts. I also want to add that in terms of G-A-Y, the idea is not always to dialogue with the opposition. This writer knows that it's highly unlikely that the Peter LaBarberas and Matt Barbers of the world will ever come around to a place of queer acceptance. However, there are scores of other individuals who are on the fence about gay rights. It is often the scared mothers of the world to whom this site is speaking. The ones who might Google the name "Michael Glatze." When they make that search, we don't want them to only find his rhetoric in its unchallenged, biased 'WorldNetDaily' form. We also want them to find our refutation, analysis, and good-natured wit.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 7, 2007 10:42:54 PM

He's young, he'll come around.

I don't think it's a ruse, but he is clearly overdoing it. It's like he's not trying to convince us so much as he's trying to convince himself. When the lie won't hold him up anymore, he'll make that call to Wayne Besen.

Posted by: Willie Hewes | Jul 8, 2007 4:38:59 AM

I'm beginning to think that there is a major payoff going on. I wonder if this man, and his lesbian counterpart, haven't been offered a stipend and the promise of more money if they keep up this ruse. Ex-gay camps, and the false hope that these huge organizations promise, are big, big money. It would be very beneficial to their cause to have unscrupulous, formerly prominent, gays advocate their wares. It's like a desperate, has-been television star selling hair growth products. At some point, they just don't care that they are scamming others; they just want money.

Posted by: PTBoat | Jul 8, 2007 1:17:13 PM

You put your your concern about your sexuality in everyone's mouth while we have nothing to do with your sexuality or your relationship with God. Why do you have to worry about the sexuality or relationship between God and others? If you are really "satisfied" after you "switched", you would not need to show off your concern towards others, huh. You use God as a weapon by stating that if we love God, we first must
renounce homosexuality first. God is Love. Hate can't dwell in God. Period. I am a happy gay and have a healthy relationship with God. God is happy now because his/her infinite Love for all of us regardless of sexuality.

Posted by: Frenchy | Jul 8, 2007 11:52:03 PM

The language that the ex-gay dude uses is cult-like christian crap. They teach that language in fundamental churches and bible colleges across Amerika. I can smell the poor brainwashed mindless guy a mile away! Makes me sick to hear him rant on about god's love and what god wants...yuck! I'm sorry folks, I need to cut my comments short and go take a long shower, reading his crap makes me feel all dirty and such...ugh!

Posted by: Dude Guy Man | Jul 9, 2007 4:18:35 AM

And so religion ruins another brain.

Why do people believe this "Satan versus God" crap? Yegods, is this 2007 or 1207?

Posted by: Brian Miller | Jul 9, 2007 5:25:21 AM

I'd just like to say that I am a believing, practicing Mormon, and I am gay, and I find Mr. Glatze's beliefs horribly misguided and frightening. I want to make it clear that it is not the position of our Church that he is espousing. The LdS Church (Mormonisms) does not teach that homosexuality is a choice, or that anyone or everyone can "overcome" their homosexuality. The Church does not pretend to understand why some people are attracted to their own gender. Yes the church does consider sexual homosexual relationships to be "immoral" and against the "commandments", but that does not mean that it is not something that is possibly inborn, or unchangeable. I know that for myself, I am gay. I am attracted only to men, and that's just the way it is. It is not something I convinced myself of, and it is not a pernicious lie told to me by satan. It is in fact the truth.

Please do not believe that Mormons believe the things that he purports as truth. I don't. My friends don't. My family does not, and most importantly, the church leaders do not. They simply say that they do not understand why or how it happens, but rather that it just is. They give certain standards of conduct within the church, but what religious body does not? Please do not believe that Mormons are unthinking, brainwashed, conservative, just pray to God and everything will be fixed, religious nuts. We aren't.

The things he says are just his own opinions and views. I myself regard them as frighteningly naive and even dangerous. He believes many things that I for myself know to be false :

I promise you that the Gay Identity does not
exist, that it is a fabrication of mankind (look it up, if you don't believe me), and that you are not "trapped" in same-sex-orientation. To believe that you are Gay is to be stupid. I'm sorry, if that sounds cruel; it's not cruel.

I believe in God, I believe in Christ. And I think Mr. Glatze is simply wrong. He equates homosexuality to lust. He says that they are in effect the same thing. That when one "gives in" to homosexual desires, one is just giving in to feelings of lust and that there is no real love there. While that may have been the case for him, it is not the case for all or even most. He is taking his little corner of "gayness" and trying to apply it and all of his experiences and "knowledge" to everyone and everything.

I respect his beliefs, and am glad that he has found something that seemingly works for him. I take issue with his attempt to convince everyone that he has the one right answer for everyone, and his belief that his way is better and his “knowledge” about homosexuality is better and more correct than everyone else’s. And if that were just him, sitting at home on his computer commenting on little read blogs, then it wouldn’t be that big an issue.

The problem is that not only will he become famous in the church, but he is already famous outside the church. Not only do I disagree vehemently with much of what he says, but he, unlike me, has the ability to reach and influence a much, much larger audience. And that, more than anything else, is what frightens me. It frightens me (metaphorically, not literally) to death.

This is the last thing we need right now, someone in a position of (dubious) authority reinforcing all the false ideas so many of have worked so long and hard to reject. The last thing we need is someone reinforcing the pernicious belief that God wants and expects us all to be straight, and that we are just not trying hard enough if we aren’t straight yet. The last thing we need is someone blatantly feeding the feelings of worthlessness and self-loathing that accompanies the (for many, not all) false goal of heterosexuality. It honestly makes me want to cry.

Posted by: iwonder | Jul 12, 2007 11:14:34 AM

Mike's decision to leave the gay lifestyle has less to do with it being a sin and more to do with what years of partying on XTC and having threeways with teenage boys will do to one's psyche.
Mike and his then partner Benjie were guests in my home during their road trip days. I invited them to stay with my partner and I for a week during Gay Days in Orlando and to speak to the local GLBT youth group that I had just started working with. A few days into their stay the topic of teens dating adults in their 20's, 30's, 40's etc came up and to say that I was shocked by their take on this topic is an understatement. They spent several days telling me things like "It is our duty and it is our right to have sex with guys as young as 14 so that they might know how wonderful and loving and beautiful it can be."
They also spent a good amount of time pushing the idea that XTC is not harmful and that the government wants people to think it is bad so that they do not try it. I, and many others in our local community, were left feeling like the two of them were wolves in sheeps clothing. They continued to try and convince me sex with teens was ok, even going as far as to tell me they would let me talk to the parents of a teen friend of theirs in the midwest who allowed and encouraged their teen son to date men in their 30's or even older.
They kept emailing me about the whole thing, emails that I still have to this day. It was only when I told them that my editor was encouraging me to write a piece on the age of consent issue in the gay community that they started to step back. They told me that I needed to study and read up on the subject and that I should not even think about writing such an article for at least 1 to 3 years. I never wrote the article but I have continued to work with our GLBT youth group and sadly I have learned that Benjie and Mike are not the only people within our community who think nothing of taking advantage of gay teens who long for guidance and unconditional love and are instead given drugs and sex in their place.
I ended up telling them that I wanted all mention of me and the youth group I worked with removed from their site, which they eventually did. Over the years I have continued to hear stories about them and what they were really into, the drugs, the orgies, the pictures they would take of young men in their underwear...young men who looked up to them and probably expected something different, something better, but never got it.
I would like to hear what Mike has to say about these things. If he is such a good Christian now he should be asking all of those young men he had sex with and did drugs with to forgive him.
I think that Mike's conversion has more to do with his guilt and shame than it does his repulsion of the entire GLBT lifestyle.
To Mike -
You and Benjie chose to live the lie and the life that you created, Mike, so stop trying to lump all of the rest of us, the ones who do good and honorable work with Queer youth, into the damaged baggage that you created for yourself.
You used the idea of doing good for the GLBT youth of the world to further your own sick and twisted desires. You had the nerve to accept role model awards and to share space on a panel with good people like Judy Shepard, while continuing to mess up minds behind the scenes. I know that if that had been my experience I would be bonkers now too.
The help that you need is not going to be found in the ex-gay movement, Mike, it is going to be found in your coming clean with what you were really up to and trying to repair the damage that you did to who knows how many young gay men.
John

Posted by: JohnnyWicked | Jul 16, 2007 10:49:27 PM

Michael,

When I read your testimony I wept. To God be the glory!
Of course I believe your testimony. I too, know the transforming power of Jesus Christ. I was bulimic for 10 years. I prayed. I tried everything, but nothing worked. That is , until, I completely surrendered my life to Jesus Christ. He took it all away. It has been 16 years since then, and I have been completely free.

The truth is, we are all broken people , because of sin. God wants us to find healing for our brokenness, not celebration.

I have a cousin that found freedom from homosexuality. He is now very happily married. I have heard many testimonies of ex-gays. They too have claimed the power of Jesus Christ who is our only hope.

If we would read the Bible and believe what it says, we would all find our lives being transformed. But, we have to spend quality time every day looking to Jesus and He will give every gay man and woman out there a life so incredibly beautiful and fulfilling.

I would challenge each of you, that doesn't believe this, spend an hour a day in the Bible and praying for 60 days. I can promise you, you will be changed.

Michael, I am praying for you. You are a great witness for Jesus. You are under attack now, but I will be praying that He will hold you up and give you the courage to continue speaking out boldly for Jesus.

Posted by: tamara | Jul 20, 2007 5:23:44 PM

But see, Tamara, you raise a very interesting point in saying that Michael is "under attack." This is interesting considering that if it were not for the attacks Michael is launching against gays, none of us would have one iota of interest in his personal orientation! We, by and large, do not care about one's right to "Self-determination" -- we care about the socio-politico=religo enterprise that is the "ex-gay" machine.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 20, 2007 5:32:23 PM

G-A-Y

You also raise an interesting point. Michael is not attacking gays. He is attacking the lie that so many people have fallen victim to.

People that have attractions towards the same sex have deep pain that needs to be healed. It will never healed in same sex relationships.

He wants you to have the same freedom he has found. I too want my gay friends to find that. He is speaking out because of love, not hate

Posted by: tamara | Jul 20, 2007 5:57:53 PM

Tamar: You are never going to see this side of things. Your own description of gay people being in "deep pain" -- that's also deeply offensive, my dear! These are, in fact, attacks on gay lives using only one-sided faith views as the justification.

Freedom comes from living your truth.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 20, 2007 6:01:58 PM

G-A-Y

There is no such thing as "my truth" or "your truth". There is only one Truth. And that is Jesus Christ. "Iam the way and the truth and the light."

There is none other.

I would encourage you to read 1 Corinthians 6:9-11. There's a miraculous promise for you.

Posted by: tamara | Jul 20, 2007 6:57:09 PM

Please do not be so bold as to assume that I have not read the Bible, the whole Bible, and nothing but the Bible. We do each, in fact, have many internal truths.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jul 20, 2007 6:59:04 PM

I am sure that some of the anti-religous comments on this blog are not idicative of the gay-movement as a whole, but make no mistake, by allowing these comments to be posted and not addressing or disassociating yourselves with them, you are by omission part of the problem. Tolerance must be given, even where it is not recived- that is the true mark of a convert to any "Truth".

Posted by: Tom | May 28, 2008 4:00:01 PM

Tom: The gay community, like all communities, is far from a monolith. Religious ideas and faith backgrounds run the gamut. There is no one sort of religious statement that could ever be "idicative (sic) of the gay-movement as a whole," which is exactly why there is a whole consortium of religious opinions expressed here (and on every post's comments section). And no, we do not and will not delete any of them.

That being said, I find it funny that you don't mention the anti-gay comments from commenters like "tamara."

Posted by: G-A-Y | May 28, 2008 5:15:34 PM

People can say what they can (and they will) but the truth is that only you know what you were and what you are now. Many people do not like any ideas that challenge a notion that they've decided is the "truth".When someone comes along who represents a contradiction to what they believe, the herd instinct kicks in (a sort of self preservation mechanism) and it is easier on their ego to try to negate it's worth, try to explain it away, or worse yet to attack the one who represents the challenge. This often means consciously or unconsciously distorting the statements that the person makes and turning them into somthing grotesque and offensive. This makes it easier to dismiss and ignore. THIS is what I see in most of the derogatory comments posted here. As for my part,for what it's worth, I believe you.

Posted by: | Sep 28, 2008 7:47:58 PM

Anonymous: I'm confused about the position you are taking. Who are you saying you believe: Michael Glatze?

Posted by: G-A-Y | Sep 28, 2008 8:29:32 PM