11/13/2007

Video: Love your children, but not as they truly are

Gotta gay kid? Well who needs PFLAG, sound professional advice, and all that hippy dippy mumbo jumbo to help you embrace your household's lil' queer, when you could instead rely on the narrow Biblical views of Pastor Tony Davis to make your child feel wrong, unwelcome, and broken:

You know, Tony might think that a gay confession is "one of the most devastating things that a Christian parent can hear." For us, however, "I'm moving thousands a miles away and will possibly never see you again because I refuse to deny who I am and live a false life that more easily fits into your narrow image of what I should be" would be much more painful.

But then again, what do we know? We only have actual knowledge of what it means to be gay to inform us of about being a homosexual. And everyone knows that living an entire life inside the brain of a gay person could never compete with the logic of a heterosexual man who has interpreted a handful of Biblical passages to be anti-gay. ::eye roll, head shake, smack hand to head::

What if I find out my child is gay?

Parents have only heard this over the last.... few years?
Really?!

Posted by: ~Dawn | Nov 13, 2007 4:12:06 PM

"homosexualism"?

Posted by: Rebecca | Nov 13, 2007 4:41:48 PM

Lol...that was my first thought too, Rebecca. I forgot to mention it in the post

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 13, 2007 4:43:28 PM

Gays Deserve Torture, Death Penalty, Iranian Minister Says

Now what do you liberals have to say about Iran?

Posted by: GDawg | Nov 13, 2007 5:15:19 PM

GDawg:

"You liberals" are not a monolith.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 13, 2007 5:21:54 PM

I love the fact that practically the first question he answers is 'What are my fellow-churchgoers going to think of this?'

Never mind that your child may have emotionally torn himself apart over his sexuality, never mind that he needs all the love and support he can get, what's important is your social circle, damn it!

Posted by: Baron Scarpia | Nov 13, 2007 5:39:37 PM

one of the most devastating things that a Christian parent can hear...

yes, hearing yoru child has terminal cancer, a devastating handicap, has been ina horrific car accident and will never walk again, is in a coma, is hooked on cocaine, is suffering from some rare genetic disease....these things, they PAIL in comparrison to evil man on man love.

Cancer before queers, that's our motto.

And Baron, I agree. "What are my fellow church goers going to think?". Maybe if you didn't attend a church where people stop caring about you, liking you, and respecting you because your child is a different orientation, you wouldn't have to worry about it.

How in the world do people like this exist? It's frightening.

Posted by: Stef | Nov 13, 2007 6:49:07 PM

This is my email to the un-jesus like group, masking themselves as true christians, of which they are not!

May God Bless you,
You folks are so full of lies, and oppose any views that are not strictly the way you see the world and the way you want to interprete the bible, and books of God. Jesus loves everyone, and you are surely not following in the footsteps of the Lord without acceptance and love for all people. You promote intolerance and ignorance as faith.

Ask yourselves simple questions? Is what I am doing in love or hate/intolerance of my fellow man? Do I love them unconditional --without judgement?

May god still bless and with all your hate and judgemental ways you want everyone else to conform to. The world is much bigger than just the way you want it to be.

God bless,
A Real Christian

Posted by: | Nov 13, 2007 10:07:22 PM

This is what I emailed to that un-jesus like group of haters.

May God Bless you,

God bless,
A Real Christian

Posted by: a real christian | Nov 13, 2007 10:08:43 PM

In listening I did hear a man who does have compassion and cares for people though I may have a different view. As one who was in ex-gay ministry for many years and as a follower of Christ I now take a different stance though I do believe living in America we all are entitled to our own beliefs and views.

Knowing first hand what is usually said to parents and families of those who have gay kids I will agree with him the best thing to do is to love them. Then I say dialogue with them, find out more why they came to that conclusion on being gay. In that give them the freedom to express themselves even in the light of the differences. Kids usually know if you are on the same page but allow them the right to feel what they feel think what they think in light of one's beliefs/faith. But above all else love them and cherish them as one of God's own.

Posted by: jeff | Nov 13, 2007 11:38:47 PM

Yes, this pastor's views on homosexuality are conservative (and uninformed), but to bag on this guy as an example of a hater is completely unfair. He seems like a genuine guy, and his emphasis on loving your children is most welcome. (Most pastors would emphasize judgement and condemnation instead... "don't you realize you're a SINNER?")

In fact, I get the sense that I could sit down over breakfast and have an honest discussion with this guy about the failures of the ex-gay movement and alternate interpretations of Scripture. We'd likely come away completely disagreeing with each other, but I don't get the sense of harsh closed-mindedness that comes from other Southern Baptist preachers.

Posted by: Christopherâ„¢ | Nov 14, 2007 2:34:44 PM