11/12/2007

Vlog: Pimples, politics and party boys

I'm getting a "this video is no longer available" message, unfortunately.

Posted by: Jarred | Nov 12, 2007 2:29:31 PM

Jarred: It just takes a second.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 12, 2007 2:31:52 PM

Jeremy, don't feel so bad about getting a pimple at 28. I'm 41 and I still get them. :/

Btw, thanks for the closeup of your face. I love your beautiful blue eyes. I wish I had them myself. ;)

Posted by: Ken R | Nov 12, 2007 3:21:21 PM

Okay, it worked that time. That was pretty darn good. Though I hope you expand on your thoughts about "sexing up gay activism" a bit more sometime.

Posted by: Jarred | Nov 12, 2007 3:28:52 PM

Jarred: I'm speaking less in the literal sense of "sexy" and more in the stylish, de rigeuer sense. Think in terms of the whole "green" campaign, which is a righteous cause that has turned into a sort of pop culture phenom. Think about Logo launching a smart and hip political show ala "Daily" or "Colbert." Think about a network like Comedy Central holding a primetime comedy benefit featuring intelligent voices of all orientations coming together for the cause of equality. Think "gay hippies" who take to the gates of the White House for a day of peaceful protest, creating an iconic image and message that would define this era. Think mainstream musicians from all genres penning some protest songs for this modern era. And think about lobby days and marriage rallies that see as much turn out as the Dinah Shore Weekend or The White Party.

I think we're heading more in the right direction, but still have a ways to go.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 12, 2007 4:10:07 PM

This is great, Jeremy! Looking forward to seeing more.

Posted by: Josh | Nov 12, 2007 4:36:44 PM

I tend to agree with you. The real heroes are the ones down in the trenches.

I ask everyone, when is the last time you went to a hearing about a bill? I am making the effort to attend both the house and senate hearings on marriage equality this year. Last years I only did the senate hearings.

And this time around I'll be sure to get a video of my testimony.

Posted by: Tony P | Nov 12, 2007 5:25:13 PM

Well, this all said -- there are of course "heroes" from all walks of lives and backgrounds. So some of this is of course a generalization to a degree. I def. want to stress that this is not to slight anyone.

But yes, Tony P, that is the sort of thing I'm talking about. We should come up with inventive ways to get people to hearings. Caravan; make a fun day out of it; just GET THERE and represent. This seems almost out of the realm of possibility, but it shouldn't.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 12, 2007 8:26:08 PM

I figured you were being figurative, but thanks for the examples. It does create a more concrete image of the idea in my head.

Posted by: Jarred | Nov 13, 2007 9:15:04 AM

To be honest, I'm not sure pushing the idea that people need to go to hearings will exactly help your case. Not all of us live close enough to D.C. to make a day trip (or even an overnight trip) out of going to a hearing. Nor can everyone take the time off work to make such a trip, regardless of how long or short it might be.

One of the problems you may run into is that if you push ideas that aren't feasible for people, you're likely to give them the impression they can't do anything. So that just generates more of an impetus to your overall goal.

In that sense, you might be better off bringing up ways people might find to get involved in their own communities and productive things they can do to support national activism that will fit their time and budget considerations.

Just food for thought.

Posted by: Jarred | Nov 13, 2007 9:42:33 AM

Jarred: Hearings are on the state level as well, so DC proximity is not a dealbreaker. But no, of course not everyone can do everything. The point, however, is that right now, we have 10x the turn out at things like the NYC Pride pier dance as we do lobby days in Albany (where marriage equality is a tantalizing close possibility). So I think what Tony P was suggesting and what I was backing is the idea that we should all reconsider our priorities and make concerted efforts to get to these sorts of things. Just like we should have social events and plans on our calendars, we should also set goals to get out and represent our side on a political level. And again, I think that finding creative ways to make these more "fun" and less of a chore would help immensely.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Nov 13, 2007 10:15:27 AM