04/16/2008

Southworth: Embracing his worth, even in the South

Picture 24-11He''s a Southern boy. He hosts a Christian television show. And while those two things might seem like reasons to stay in the closet, Nashvillian TV personality Azariah Southworth isn't going to let anything stand in the way of his truth. He's just come out:

Popular Christian TV host comes out [Out & About]

It remains to be seen how those in the Christian community, who have profiled Azariah in their media outlets and celebrated his program, will react to his revelation. Though if a betting man, this writer would put money on the word "Satan" factoring into their replies.

But damning condemnations be damned. Welcome out, Azariah!

**MORE: Here's Azariah in his own words:

**UPDATE: Queerty's chatted with Azariah.

**UPDATE2: So has Nathan Exposed.

i think this was a bald move that took a lot of courage and will make inroads. i hope the gay community makes sure he is taken care of job wise once he is fired.

Posted by: queerunity | Apr 16, 2008 2:50:11 PM

I hope he has or gets to review "For the Bible Tells Me So" before he leaves. It should help many, many other gay Christians and their families and friends.

Posted by: LOrion | Apr 16, 2008 3:48:12 PM

"Though if a betting man, this writer would put money on the word "Satan" factoring into their replies."

Ya think? LOL

Probably worse - we ARE dealing with the modern-day Pharisees after all (NOT real Christians).

Posted by: Scott | Apr 16, 2008 4:32:11 PM

I checked out the remix myspace page. All references to Azariah were gone (although I am just assuming there were there before). I figured I would send an email of encouragement and hopefully he would get it. If not, I figured at least somebody might read it who needs to hear something postive. Within a couple hours I got a response from Azariah. My letter and his response are below. The myspace page is www.myspace.com/theremixtv

From: Steve
Date: Apr 16, 2008 1:54 PM

Azariah,

I'm not sure if you will even get this as all references to your existence are gone from the site, but I want to commend you on your honesty. You are a pioneer and will make it easier for many other young people to come out and live fulfilling lives as Christians instead of believing they have to hide this dark secret as I did for 20 years.

I'm sure you will be beat up for this, but consider yourself a pioneer. In the future, Christians will look back at their attitudes towards you and view it as ridiculous and sinful as how they now look back at the treatment of African Americans.

Don't forget that 20 years ago, Christians felt just as strongly that discriminating against blacks was somehow justifiable and for the protection of the family and America.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors and stay strong. God loves you for who you are. I pray the church will one day learn to do that as well.

Steve

AND HIS RESPONSE

Subject:
RE: good for you Azariah!
Body:
Thank you and you're so right.

I too hope and pray that the church will soon be who Jesus called it to be and that is love.

Thank you for your email. It means a lot to me.

-Azariah

Posted by: Steve | Apr 16, 2008 5:26:23 PM

Frankly, I think this rocks! Certainly, he's in for some major career upheaval, but perhaps the discussion generated from all of this within the Christian community will bring about some significant changes in attitudes. And perhaps Azariah himself will find himself in a far better place, emotionally and career-wise. I hope so!

Posted by: Greg | Apr 17, 2008 12:21:42 AM

Brave dude. Truly awesome and inspiring. Best of luck to him!

Posted by: Alan T. Liber | Apr 17, 2008 3:01:02 AM