06/03/2009

Desired results misfire

Voting has now ended in the following One News Now poll. Which is probably good for the uber-anti-gay "news" site, since the results were starting to out-gay The Advocate:

Picture 8-142
What's your reaction to Barack Obama's proclamation designating this month as 'LGBT Pride Month'? [ONN poll]
(H/t: G-A-Y reader Dennis Skelton)

Gee, we haven't seen a poll go this fully against its host organization's desired results since that time Cat Fancy readers determined that most felines are actually rather plain.

Looks like you kids need to rethink the idea of open conversation, ONN. One-sided monologue seems to much more ably befit your side.

Jeremy, you have brightened my day with this post.

Posted by: Bill S | Jun 3, 2009 9:41:49 AM

"Prayer barely gets a presidential nod?"

I thought sessions of Congress opened with prayer - I've never seen a speech where a president didn't say, "God bless America." Government use (I hesitate to say "endorsement") of prayer is *thriving* in America.

And, "sin gets a whole month?" Since when is the government involved in regulating sin?

Posted by: DN | Jun 3, 2009 9:50:45 AM

Sorry to bust your enthusiastic bubble a little bit (I do enjoy the optimism, I just don't share it), but this poll was linked to by Pharyngula, an atheist blog with a huge following that enjoys crashing these types of insane polls. Answer 3 was leading before the crash, these people will always be a danger to our existence.

Posted by: paul | Jun 3, 2009 10:33:16 AM

That's a real kick in the pants. I couldn't find a blog that was sending it's readers over there to vote, but there had to be some. Perhaps I was just out of it. That's been known to happen.

Posted by: Mike in the Tundra | Jun 3, 2009 10:40:19 AM

Paul: No burst of my enthusiasm bubble. I didn't suggest WHY the votes went this way -- I just said it was funny that it did (and funny that ONN shut down the poll). I still think it's funny that our troops outpaced their own, esp. since they purposely design these polls to lend credence to their cause.

Good to know about that site. I'll make sure they are aware of every poll of this nature!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jun 3, 2009 10:43:44 AM

Oh how I love Pharyngula......

Posted by: Rosemary | Jun 3, 2009 10:55:04 AM

If atheists organized like that in real life and launched a campaign to counteract Fundy mentality, the majority of the country would end up supporting us.

Posted by: ---- | Jun 3, 2009 11:35:24 AM

Anyone else find it funny one of the answers is about adultery, but despite that causing proven harm to people and families and being condemneed at least as much as homosxuality *probably more* in the bible none of the people this poll was made for are doing a goddamn thing to criminalize or take away any rights from adulterers? Its almost like the bible only comes into play when it agrees with their prejudices.

Posted by: Penguinsaur | Jun 3, 2009 11:51:58 AM

To be fair. I sent the link to Jeremy after it hit twitter. I knew it was skewed. In fact, I helped skew it. But we should always let them know we are out there and paying attention to what they are doing.

Plus, it's a helluva lot of fun to mess with them.

Posted by: Dennis | Jun 3, 2009 12:32:48 PM

They just added this:

*Editor's Note: This poll question generated approximately eight times the normal number of responses, resulting in percentages that we believe do not reflect the opinions of our typical poll participants. This particular poll question was targeted by a blog site operated by a self-professed "godless liberal" who teaches biology at the University of Minnesota and seems to enjoy targeting our polls (this is not the first time). Blog entries offer a running account of efforts by that group to skew the final results of this poll -- which they were successful in doing.

Posted by: Alonzo | Jun 3, 2009 3:00:20 PM

@Alonzo: Now *that* is hysterical! An organization that has never met a poll that they couldn't skew sees a need for transparency whenever others influence their data.

Where is the editor's note talking about how they count you as an AFA supporter whenever you weigh in on their campaigns? For years I've been receiving emails addressed to "Mr. No Way In Hell Do I Support Your Cause" because I once weighed in negatively on whatever question they had put forth at the time, an action for which I was subsequently signed up as a "supporter."

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jun 3, 2009 3:17:39 PM

"resulting in percentages that we believe do not reflect the opinions of our typical poll participants"

Oh that's funny.

Because they aren't testing public opinion on subjects, just polling the opinion of their "typical poll participants." If they already know the outcome, why bother.

Posted by: Timothy | Jun 3, 2009 4:07:56 PM

This is being posted everywhere, on ScienceBlogs, on here, and other social activism blogs. No wonder we get all the support and good for us too!

Posted by: Tony P | Jun 3, 2009 7:37:16 PM

PZ and the Pharyngulites strike again!

Posted by: Audrey | Jun 4, 2009 6:44:19 AM

its no biggy , i'm gonna look at it like this, the month is now going to be know as the on for liers, haters, and killers as gay lie when they say gay is ok , they hate everyone that lets them know its their Choice, and gay men try to kill their partners with aids = Anus Injected Death

Posted by: sinner | Jun 4, 2009 7:59:31 AM

It's always good to see anti-gay people unwittingly helping us make our case about the supposed "pro-family" movement. So welcome, "sinner"!

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jun 4, 2009 8:18:27 AM

"PZ and the Pharyngulites strike again!"

Of which I am a proud member. Usually these pools magically disappear after suffering a bout with Pharyngula.

Posted by: Dale | Jun 4, 2009 6:12:24 PM

one does not have to be pro family to know that two gays don't make a family , it is a physical imposability, as man has not evolved enough to start having babies in same sex relaionsips. Though science has proven that men having sex with men can and will kill.

Posted by: sinner | Jun 5, 2009 3:29:53 PM

Please get a grip and admit Gay is a choice no one in their right mind should make, and stop lieing that gay is ok.

Posted by: sinner | Jun 5, 2009 3:31:54 PM

Reproduction does not make a family, sinner. Love does. And a lack of love can also rip the same apart, something many LGBT people know all too well.

Posted by: G-A-Y | Jun 5, 2009 3:44:53 PM

I really enjoy watching polls getting Pharyngulated.

TRiG.